Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical electric fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robtlor, Aug 21, 2017.

1. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

I have an elec fuel pump next to the tank in my 39 Plymouth. In the last 15 years, maybe 25,000 miles I have gone through 5 pumps, the first two were cheap ones, then an Airtec, then a mr gasket. The airtec quit pumping fuel but would still pull 15 inches of vacuum. Maybe stuck check ball? Any ideas to help this problem would be great. Thanks, Big Bob

2. Do you have a filter between the tank and pump? Is the pump close to the exhaust?
    I just had an airtex electric pump fail after 6-7 years.....not sure what a normal lifespan is.

3. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

There is a filter before pump, It is 6 inches away from exhaust pipe at rear of car. My airtex lasted 17 months, they are replacing pump under warranty.

4. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I'll throw this out there for your consideration. I have been told by many mechanics that a fuel pump does not like to pull through a filter. Do you have a filter sock on the pick-up tube in the tank? If so you might try putting the inline filter on the discharge side of the pump.

5. My airtex pump came with a filter attached to the inlet. Says right on the pump not to remove the filter or the warranty is void.....

6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

After my experiences with the Airtex, Carter, etc. inline pumps on two vehicles I replaced them with Carter P4070's and never another problem. Harder to mount, but SO much more reliable.

7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"I have been told by many mechanics that a fuel pump does not like to pull through a filter."

Yet that's the way many cars came.

8. His pump is called a positive displacement pump it needs a filter between the tank and the pump hopefully 10 microns or smaller.

I had a Mallory a few years back that had a screen in the pump and somehow a piece of paper got past my filter ( or came off my filter?) and stuck to the screen, it still pulled vacuum like the pump was fine but fuel could not get past the screen. Just something to think about I guess.

9. I use a Carter marine fuel pump on my '40........it's good for avgas, ethanol, diesel, and alcohol.......works great......

10. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

Thanks guys, I will see how long the Mr Gasket pump lasts. They are replacing the Airtex pump under warranty so will have it laying around. Big Bob

11. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I installed a Mr. Gasket pump on my 48 Plymouth (SBC powered). It only lived a relatively short life, although thankfully it failed while the car was parked in the garage, and not out on a cruise. Replaced it with an electric Edelbrock, and haven't had any problems at all since then.