Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Speedster Comes Out of the Weeds—Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClarkH, Dec 25, 2015.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That seat setup has me rethinking the idea I had for my project. Thanks for the pics and motivation.

volvobrynk, ClarkH and loudbang like this.
  2. Just read the complete thread. What a neat car and build. Congrats on your efforts.

3. catdad49

catdad49

Man, that is sweet! Be prepared when you finally get to take it out.

4. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Success!!!
    WSP.JPG
    inspection.JPG
    now-legit.JPG

So happy! Two years, three inspections, reams of paperwork. But now I am legit in the eyes of the law. Or at least, the car is... :cool:

5. flatford39

flatford39

Where did they affix the tag??? Somewhere out of view of your nice looking speedster I hope.

ClarkH and loudbang like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

That is quite an accomplishment, congrats.

ClarkH likes this.
  7. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One tag on the driver's door jam, one on the firewall. They let me choose the exact locations. I've got so much wiring and components on the firewall that there wasn't a lot of options--especailly because it had to be on the portion of firewall welded to the body, not the bolt-in insert I added. I'm not worried about it, even though they managed to get the firewall plate slightly cockeyed. o_O But I tell you, after chasing this for two years, I had a big old grin on my face while they were punching the ID plate.

Funny story: I asked the guy if mine was the oldest car he'd seen recently. Nope. He'd inspected a Locomobile earlier in the week.

8. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

That car is sweet, congratz on your title. Gives me hope as I have to file for a title on my old truck.

I would not worry about a top in Seattle ;)

loudbang and ClarkH like this.
  9. Congratulations CLARK WELL DONE , enjoy the it to the fullest.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and ClarkH like this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

Great to see. I remember thinking when this thread started, that this was likely to be a "dreamer" project that gets pulled out of the weeds with good intentions but never goes much farther than that. I'm happy to see I couldn't have been more wrong.

11. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

congratulations well done great car enjoy it now

loudbang and ClarkH like this.
  12. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Squablow! Believe me, I get it. I’ve seen those stalled rescue threads penty of times on the HAMB. When I started this project, only three people believed in me: my wife, my brother, and my buddy Jeff. Those three were well acquainted with my obsessive personality and stick-to-itiveness.

Everyone else said I was nuts. Friends would come by, check it out and say, “Are you kidding me? That isn’t a car! That’s a pile of scrap.” They’re eating crow now.

13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

So that means you'll be tearing up the streets around Seattle! Look forward to seeing it sometime.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tag is only about 2-1/2 inches long and 3/4 wide if that. Most of the time you have to be looking for them to really spot them . The one on my boat trailer is out in plain sight on the frame and even then you don't really notice it. And I know yadayada, it's a crime against what ever to have an assigned vin on your hot rod but so be it.

Stogy, ClarkH and loudbang like this.
  15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding Sir.May you enjoy many happy miles and years together.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. Congratulations! You've done a great job rebuilding the car.

17. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More on jumping through titling hoops…

So in addition to my paperwork snafus, the State Patrol identified two issues with the car that had to be resolved before a title could be granted. Oddly enough, they were absolutely fine with the absence of fenders and windshield. But they insisted the car must have a covered seat (bare plywood not good enough) and a license plate light (never mind that license plate lights were not original equipment).

Together with my ever-supportive wife, I quickly resolved the seat issue with $40 worth of foam and marine vinyl (the rule says “covered”; it doesn’t say how nicely.:rolleyes:)
    CoveringSeat.JPG
    FinishedSeat.JPG
    Seat-Intalled.JPG

As for the license light, I asked around and couldn’t find anything period and/or cool. With my final appointment approaching, I threw up my hands and installed a third taillight off a Model A. It filled the bill, even if it looked kind of goofy.
    License+Light.JPG

Sad story: that goofy third light might have, er, accidentally fallen off on the drive home from inspection. Or something like that…:p

18. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

You did a great job and you will find a good license light sometime! Congrats.

ClarkH, loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clark,

You might want to check out this ad that HAMBer kb cookout has in the classifieds. It is a NOS chrome license plate light and I think it would work well on the tail of your speedster. Here is the link to his post: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nos-chrome-license-plate-light.1060445/

He had a couple Art Deco style lights earlier this summer but it looks like both of those were sold. One of those would have worked well also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thor

20. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

Clark, brasscarguy here, just wondered what year you settled on? I have some original Washington 20's and 30's license plates if you are interested.

[email protected](Maltby)

ClarkH, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  21. Just found and read your entire build thread, great work and beautiful end result. Happy motoring.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

22. ClarkH and loudbang like this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Check out MG License plate lights TC TD and TF used the same from the late 1940's early '50's. Bob

24. Clark, congrats, in the beginning it did not look like a car, and now it is a real rare speedster! you did very well on it!"

25. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys! I hadn't thought of a Hollywood-style light. Might be worth considering. Short term, I don't plan to run at night, so I'll risk the ticket. Long term, I want to make a hoop bumper to protect the tail section; figure I'll affix a plate and light off to the side. But that's a winter project, and I'm always up for feedback.

Washington State has decided this is a 1930 Roadster. I'm cool with that, but it means I can't use the nice pair of low-number '31 plates I picked up in Puyallup. Fortunately, I had a decent '30 plate from an estate sale, although a high number. Gave the '31 pair to my brother. That said, if you have a low-number '30...

Thanks man. I love it when guys find this thread! Sometimes that little "like" flag starts popping--it's some guy going through the thread, liking every post. Makes my day.
    :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  26. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

Clark,

call me at 2ho6 919-1949 I should be home around noon. gotta check on the progress in one of my shops, hoping to have the engine out of my Ferrari 348 spyder for its timing belt service.

brasscarguy

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First time on the road! Seven years from the day I pulled her out of the weeds.

Edit: Athough unintended, I think there's something poetic about the souless hybrid gliding by before the speedster makes its noisy run.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  28. loudbang

loudbang

EXCELLENT!!!

triman62, ClarkH and volvobrynk like this.
  29. World Famous Swindler poker run next weekend starting in Skagit Valley...