Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A visor speed holes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lou39, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Want to add speed holes to my visor. The PO welded the visor on necessitating doing it on the car. Am thinking !.5 "to 2.0" flared holes. Jegs, eastwood and others have the punch and flare
    tool sets at a $100 bucks. Can this be done on the car? Distortion? Any advice most appreciated ?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. LOL I just use a hole saw. Just like we did way back when I was a kid.

The flares are pretty cool don't get me wrong, but in my minds eye they are kind of new millennium or newstalgia.

No charge for the opinion. LOL

mad mikey, 29A-V8, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not being able to keep the sun or rain off the windshield negates the who frigging reason for the visor being there doesn't it?

29A-V8, kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. A punch and die should do the job without moving any metal outside the flare. If you go the hole saw route, I suggest you mask off the windshield and cowl area, literally drape the whole front end with an old bed sheet, to catch all the drill chips. Them little buggers are like sowing rust seeds and they will produce a crop. I don't know what your paint finish is, fresh or patina, but you will have to file/sand any burrs, primer and blend the color coat. It's not going to be a single afternoon project. Lastly, don't slip and step or elbow your hood/cowl/fender/etc.

But like has already been mentioned, sometimes the best option is to do nothing at all.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. A Boner

A Boner

The PO made a permanent modification by welding it on......putting holes in the visor will also be hard to reverse.
    I'll agree with Mr48chevy on his take on visors with holes.

kiwijeff, lothiandon1940 and wojojo like this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

knock out punches are the way to go. they leave a perfectly cut circle. I don't see why it couldn't be done on the car.

hole saws are for amateurs. :)

Just Gary likes this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that punch and flare thing looks pretty cool.

8. verde742

verde742

I did it in 10th grade with tin snips, teacher didn't understand, it was 1960.

able to see stoplites , plus looks kool !!

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

I like the look, but it's gotta be fenderless. (as the OP's avatar appears to be :D)

10. My only advice is don't do it unless you like noise,when I drilled the holes 3" on a model A the whistling noise was much louder.HRP

11. I think its funny to call them speed holes I always thought that it was so you could see the traffic light. :D

mad mikey, 29A-V8, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Look at the dive brakes on old dive bombers, full of holes to increase drag. Don't think the holes really help speed much as increase turbulence in the air flow.

5window, Blues4U and fordf1trucknut like this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That's what I use mine for, seriously. I used a hole saw but on a drill press. Would be a bear on the car since it's not flat, lotsa snags for hand drilling.

bantam2.JPG

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. Blowby , what kind of truck is that ? Very cool !

15. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting info from HRP that the noise pitch changes to louder with the holes. With out having first hand experience the normal thought train would be it reduces drag hence noise.
    I remember in our 34 pickup at 60mph it sounded like you were doing 85mph.
    Might have to rethink the hole scenario in our current project. (Sorry couldn't resist)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks! American Bantam.

0720171541a.jpg

kiwijeff, Fern 54 and ABONES like this.
  17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I use this gadget on my '29 CCPU with the stock visor to see traffic lights. Works great DSC02715.JPG

18. Yea those have been around for a long time, I think I have one someplace. Just that I could never see any other use for "speed" holes other than to see out better. :D

19. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

Punch and flare on the car isn't hard. Drill a pilot hole and then just screw the die till it pops the (flared) hole. DSC02407.jpg DSC02409.jpg IMG_1401.jpg IMG_1402.jpg

mad mikey, Just Gary, swade41 and 2 others like this.
  20. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Newstalgia....I like that word. A lot of that going around lately.

21. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

22. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Newstalgia...I like that word. A lot of that going around lately.

23. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

With a 4" chop and seating position atop a stepped frame has one looking at the B pillar the visor is not seen.

24. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Got a Guide unit just like that. Any less than 3 cars back at the light its necessary. I sometimes rely on the opposite traffic tho.

25. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Hey with no upholstery and scant door seals 40 sounds like 85!

26. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

27. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

They always look good on other folks cars but I don't think they are all that practical.
    I had a stock visor on my 29 tudor and it flapped around at high speed.
    I considered holes and then decided louvers might be a good compromise.

There was no improvement or reduction Red Tudor 013.jpg to the noise and flapping and I am glad I did not do holes as I figured later it would probably have been worse and like somebody said more crap and rain on your wind shield to boot...
    I thought louvers might have helped reduce some air pressure build up and reduce the flapping, but no such luck.

28. LOL got a windshield wiper that I will be using on my sedan. Because I am not a real hot rodder. :D

29. 5window

5window

Or, you can use a prism, as mentioned. Mine mounts from the roof and hangs down. I always liked the look of the stock visor. I think somehow the holes look "affected". But, it's your car. There will be a lot more drag, a lot more noise, a lot more rain and it won't work as a visor anymore. That's a hefty :fee". Oh, and don't forget to mask off the holes and then paint them clear.

30. Going 60+ down the road, stick your hand, fingers together, out the side window into the airflow.
    Now spread your fingers a little.
    Feel the difference?
    Me neither. :oops:

You have a good look, though. You don't see it everyday and louvers are "traditional". So why not?

Hot Rod Grampa likes this.