Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mounting Roadster Body To Model A Frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Archie Jalopy, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Archie Jalopy

Archie Jalopy

I've done a search but didn't come up with too much.

I'm mounting my 31 roadster body to the model a frame, I've got the brake master cylinder mounted on the frame and running a T5 transmission. My problem is the cross member on the body is directly over the master cylinder and looks like it will be in the way of the transmission as well.

Looking for some advice on cutting the cross member, my brother suggested cut it out and run one farther back. I thought I could get some advice from someone who's done it before.

Thanks,

2. Tim O'Kelley

Tim O'Kelley
    from texas

Are you mounting the body with wood mounting blocks?

3. Archie Jalopy

Archie Jalopy

Yeah, that is the plan but I can change that, kinda figuring things out as I go.

4. Archie Jalopy

Archie Jalopy

Anybody have any photos of their mounting points for the body to the frame to eliminate the cross member that covers the master cylinder? I'll try to post some of mine tomorrow.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The roadster body [model As] mount to the frame through the cross rails not the subrails from the doors back...
    Forward most sub floor cross rail in a Ford roadster is just under the front of the seat...
    On my coupe the tranny's tail shaft was right under it, I had to build an arch into the cross rail for the body to sit flat... Had to arch [raise] the cross rail about an inch taller about 10" wide
    DSCN0954.JPG

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

Hard to suggest solutions when we haven't seen the problem. Photos, please.

7. IMG_0232.JPG This is just a rough in but it's an idea

8. Archie Jalopy

Archie Jalopy

So I got some photos of my situation, right now my plan is to cut the body cross member after the mounting hole so I can service the master cylinder and fit my transmission in. I'm a little concerned because the body seems a bit flimsy already but I'm thinking once I get the floor in the missing cross member won't be a big deal. I would like to know other peoples solutions, I can't be the only one dealing with this.

IMG_20170822_105847437_HDR.jpg IMG_20170822_105853935.jpg IMG_20170822_105905462_HDR.jpg IMG_20170822_105928074.jpg IMG_20170822_105933739.jpg

9. You could move it back but I don't know if I would mess with it at all. Once you get your clutch and your master cylinder bled how often are you going to access them ? A lot of times they would just use a bottle with the hose attached to it to fill them up.

10. All the ones I've done I've never put in an access for them.

11. Archie Jalopy

Archie Jalopy

That might be true for the master cylinder but it's still in the way of the transmission, it's kinda hard to see in the photos but I'm gonna have to build a hump in the floor.

12. How high do you have your engine mounted

13. Archie Jalopy

Archie Jalopy

Motor mounts are at the same level as top of frame, they're welded in, I'm running a flat head, don't think I want to change the motor mounts.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is going to open an extra can of worms no matter how you go about doing it. Move it back about it's own width an you have to figure out how to get a nut on the bolt unless you have some real long flexible fingers.
    That would still be preferable to cutting on it for clearance and what about sliding it back just enough and putting in a gusset style bracket on each side that ran up to the original mount spot that could also serve as the body mounting point?

15. I'm running Hemi with my mounts about 3/4" lower than the top of the rail with a Chevy four speed and everything on mind clears I'm still run in the wood floors. with your flat head and transmission installed how level is the set up?

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

looks solid... I would slide the cross rail back 3"...
    you will need to notch the sub rail so the newly moved cross rail can slide into it for welding or riveting...