Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Wow!!! thanks Tony
    I want to come play

loudbang likes this.
  2. Sorry man the camera is all burnt up :D

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  3. jim snow

jim snow

Thanks Tony. I see the crew chief still gives you plenty of room!Snowman

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thanks Tony, great coverage, hope you get a handle on your engine issues.
    Tell Quain he really has a winner with the SEG, it's the real deal.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Floater03, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  5. Took her to the eye doctor today and they said she has no depth perception :confused: she's not afraid of anything I can tell you that ;)

6. allwilly

allwilly

Except wheelies in golf carts! She is scared shit less of that! Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. jim snow

jim snow

Oh I believe that.Snoman

8. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Dog Patch, that was awesome! Thanks

9. I think if we had 10W-30W oil at Clay City it would have been enough to solve the smoke. This was after about 15 minutes of running around last night. I'll try to drive it more tonight and set the barrel valve - its too rich right now but not wet! At Clay City we changed the 4 passenger side plugs between passes.

So this is telling me the rings are right at the ragged edge of controlling the oil. That's it. Carrillo is still arguing that we have bad guides or something. The rings are too small for a big stroke! Why keep defending a theory on tiny rings.

The only other deal would be that my engine has an abnormal amount of oil sling. But why? How? I have zero rod side clearance and it can't handle 50W oil but it can handle 30W oil. Where is the mysterious extra oil off the crank coming from?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not butt hurt at Carrillo - its a weird problem that we have collected a ton of data on and need to solve - that's it. Learn something and keep going.

IMG_5801.JPG

10. savannahDan

savannahDan

How's it doing on power? Any changes in mph?

loudbang likes this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

Thanks for spending all that time getting those shots posted. For your efforts I have enlarged and trimmed them a bit and turned them black and white like the old days :)

Capture (2).JPG

Capture4 (2).JPG

Capture2 (2).JPG

catdad49, kiwijeff, Hombre and 8 others like this.
  12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I knew there must have been something wrong with her eyes:)
    I will see you in a couple of weeks in Chattanooga.

Dog_Patch, jim snow and loudbang like this.
  13. Hard to say because it was bogging after the wheelie in Clay City - might have been the oil on the plugs but not sure, so it didn't pull a full pass. Going to check the 10gauge supply wire to the MSD, I nicked it with the cut off wheel and taped it, but it might be affecting the MSD. When the battery is too low it will bog like that.

Awesome - glad you liked those, it did take a while to right click and save 250 times :confused:

Yeah man looking forward to a short drive for once. Might just pull over in the Sedan Delivery.
    20882941_1480090175406911_340739889263129869_n.jpg

catdad49, saltflats, enloe and 2 others like this.
  14. Good thought on the power. Mine ran worse and worse at Clay City and as you know, the battery was slowly eating its self. Never had a battery failure in over 30 years, so no need for an alternator, right? I now have a new battery, new alternator and new starter!
    See you at Brainerd.

15. 37gas

37gas

Did you ever try swapping the heads side for side and see if the smoke follows the head or stays on the pass side ?

91whitestang and loudbang like this.
  16. No - that may be the last thing we haven't tried - all 4 ports on the passenger side have puked oil equally through this whole process. Today 2 of the 4 sealed up. It's not the guides, we tested with the valve cover off and it was too dry up there - a running puddle of oil out of the header wasn't coming from above the pistons. Two push rods were burnt on the ends from being too dry. At Knoxville we sprayed ether on the valve springs and it had no effect. Just need to get the last 2 cylinders to seat and its done. Almost there. A crank scraper will be the final fix. Wish that was an off the shelf item but its not. Weird problem for sure - last year it had zero rod side clearance and thin oil and after all this debugging we are back there again, that's where it works. At Clay City all 4 plugs were dripping with 50W oil. It just can't handle that. Right at the edge of something. Its weird.

IMG_5803.JPG

17. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Wow, Caleb has a great eye! (My parents owned a photography studio)
    And thanks again Tony!

loudbang, 402BOSSMAN and Dog_Patch like this.
  18. :eek: that would have been funny if you didn't lose a lot of blood that night o_O pop a wheelie and bail out of the drivers seat - oye vey

Hang'emHigh, loudbang and allwilly like this.
  19. allwilly

allwilly

Hang'emHigh, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  20. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

I love all of those pictures!

21. I put my alternator back on because in this summer heat the fan helps cool it down but man it drains a battery quick. BUT the 'Push Off' battery cutoff doesn't shut the car off now with the alternator running. The Flaming River cuttoff switch is made for a magneto - so the 2 little posts connect when its in the OFF setting. If they opened, I could route the Alternator supply across that, not sure of the current rating on those. Need to think about it more, might use a relay somehow to cut off the alternator supply.

loudbang and Higgy's Henry like this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Some late model cars require a diode in the system in order to shut down the engine, because the alternator supplies power when you don't want it. But a relay is prolly gonna be your best bet.
    I'm assuming the cutoff switch, being made for a magneto, cuts off the engine by grounding something in the magneto?
    Maybe a relay, activated by another switch, and powered straight off the battery circuit, that you can switch off just before you shut off the engine?
    Thinking further, if relay is normally closed, when you activate it to shut off engine, you will have to deactivate after alternator shuts down, else activated relay will pull current from battery after shutdown. If you use a normally open relay and activate relay on startup to charge battery, you can deactivate relay for run, reactivate on return road to charge battery. You might even be able to use the same relay for fan with normally open relay, I doubt you want fan running with engine shutdown anyway?

23. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Connect the alternator to the same post as the battery on the cut off switch. Everything else to the other post. That will kill everything when the switch is open. You will still have a hot connection from the alternator to the battery, but it is NHRA legal and it does the job.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  24. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

They make a switch with the extra post for a alt. I always just done it like Hemi Joel said.

25. That makes sense. Just need to run the alt wire back there.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Great post! Feel your pain bro, but also learning a shit ton of information from it! Love your passion!

AmishMike, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  27. allwilly

allwilly

Great info..expensive way to learn it! Wish there was better customer service from some people. ..sticking your head in the sand when there is an issue that needs resolving isn't much help from a so called professional

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AmishMike, PBRmeASAP and loudbang like this.