Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Belly/wing/drop tank build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Truckedup, Dec 9, 2013.

1. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Looks like a fun project good for short runs until the water tank gets hot. Once you complete all the fine details you may get the bug to build another for some LSR racing be careful its adictive.

2. Looks like fun, keep going!

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yeah it shifts like a slightly stiff bolt action rifle.
    I have a radiator for it that should be good for short runs. My LSR addiction is bikes as shown in my signature. They are more dangerous than cars and take up less room, LOL

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  4. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Beautiful linkage. I like your description of how it shifts. Fits the latest effort in my project, a top-shifted T-96 transmission. Like you say, like a slightly stiff bolt action rifle. Keep the photos coming!

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

The shift linkage is finished.Rod end and a SBC distributor shaft for a shift lever.

[​IMG]

So on to mocking up the not so traditional aluminum radiator/electric fan. This position should work as well as anything else considering there's no fucking room for this shit. A small battery can fit underneath on the right,some sort of fuel tank on the left. The coolant lines will be fabricated with 1-1/2 DOM tubing with welded elbows and a few rubber elbows.
    This build has a spirit of it's own and it's taking me on a ride to places I've never been.

[​IMG]

6. redzula

redzula

I can't really tell on my phone but are you using a lever and pivot on the front of the shift linkage (the hand end) or is it welded solid to the horizontal arm going back. Just curious either way that's a pretty ingenious setup.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

The horizontal shaft is supported by a rod end,the shifter is welded to the shaft. I made a slight mistake on the triangulated linkage rod ends. All three end should be in the same orientation instead of the one being at about a 30 degree angle. The neutral gate is not straight across from left to right, it has a slight angle to the action but still smooth enough and doesn't hang up.
    There's very little room in this aluminum tube of insanity.The driver's seat area is about a 24 inch diameter, the foot area about a 20 inch diameter. The width and leg room is just ok for a skinny 6 footer like me .But no way is anyone much larger gonna fit. As it is, a removable steering wheel is necessary getting in and out.
    The guy I'm building it for is not pushing because he chasing ladies and racing motorcycles. I'm busy with tuning my LSR bike and other bike stuff. But I hope to finish the cooling system in a few weeks so I can run the engine for more than 30 seconds to get the carbs sorted out.

redzula likes this.
  8. Truckedup

Truckedup

Now the shit box has a cooling system...yes,the blue electric fan is fucking gay but it came with the radiator.
    I fabricated two into one pipes from left over hoses ,tubing pieces including old exhaust pipes from one of my motorcycles. I made an attempt to equalize flow by using a baffle inside the "Y's" to equalize flow...I'm positive it'll keep the engine cooled for 15 minutes. It's a bit crude but best of all it doesn't leak.

[​IMG]

mctim64 likes this.
  9. Eric H

Eric H

Pretty cool little build!

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

Thanks. The car has been turned over to the owner. He drove it a bit and was pleased... Now the thing just sits in his garage as he tries to find someone to fit the aluminum tanker shell....

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  11. Was wondering how this was, you did a good job on that Tony. JW

12. So this Belly tank never really did get finished?

The construction work looked great.HRP

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

The owner drove it around some and finally the body shell is being fitted.
    The small aluminum radiator cools it ok with a Jeep Cheroke electric fan. I was told by some the cooling system design wouldn't work,especially with the stock pumps.

14. rodknocker

rodknocker

I know it's an old thread, but the other night my buddy texts me and says look what I've been working on for the past 2 years, I was taken back back because he had never mentioned it to me. But I believe it to be the same car by the frame shifter and wheels, and you don't see these in western N.Y. It looks like a few things have been changed, still not on the road but he said they do have it running.

Attached Files:

Los_Control and dana barlow like this.
  15. trey32

trey32

Fucking sickness, I want one...