Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 ford standard grill-update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olscrounger, Aug 19, 2017.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am starting another 40 std coupe for a friend (he has 3 from here already). I am unable to find a nice standard grill thus far. Here is my dilemna-I have a NOS mint grill with the center piece still in the box with a receipt from a Ford dealer in 57 for $36.00. I have had this grill for many years and have never seen another. If all else fails I may have to use this one. Issue is I don't want to overcharge him, not appropriate. Drakes were $775 but there are none. I don't know the value of the original. I am hesitant to use this but may have no choice-any input appreciated. I have a request in the wanted section as well. Thank you-Olscrounger

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  2. Budget36

Budget36

If a repop was 775, I'd price your NOS mint shell at a 1000, and that would be a friends price, would probably go much higher on EBay.
    Friends are friends, but you can't leave too much $$$ on the table.

bobwop and olscrounger like this.
  3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for your response-a dealer tried to buy if a few yrs ago for $1000 but I kept it--don't need the money. I also got a nos 40 std hood at the same time--used it some years ago.

4. Budget36

Budget36

For sure if a dealer was offering 1K, he's going to try and double his money.

5. TVC

TVC

Maybe try this. Have the grill spear tightly heat shrink wrapped, picture framing shops do this all of the time, or have it vacuum wrapped. Put a layer or three of fiberglass over the piece and let it cure for a couple of days. Pull the fiberglass shell away from the trim piece. Fiberglass doesn't stick to shrink wrapping film so it'll come away cleanly and hold all of the detail. Spray the inside of the shell with a release agent or rub it down with a release way. Mix up a batch of fiberglass resin and hardener and pour it into the shell/mold. Pull the part after a few days, smooth out the blemishes if any, and have chrome hydro dipped. Cost will be exceptionally low, fiberglass will stand up to most road use, it'll look great, your friend will be pleased beyond measure with the result, and you get to hold onto your original piece for a while longer.

Maybe?

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THX all--still have a little time-the car will be painted a rolling with no front clip for a month or so after it arrives then install front clip and complete-maybe 2-3 months out from now. Maybe one will turn up-I know Russco found one when he needed one via the HAMB I think.

7. metalman

metalman

Wow. Drake doesn't have them again? Went thru the same delima when I built my 40 PU, 2 years later Drake sent me an Email saying my back ordered grill was now back in stock. Maybe I should of taken it instead of turning it down.

8. You may very well have the only NOS 40 standard grille left in existence and I am aware you have built several over the years,selling it to your friend helps him out but think about the unexpected,what if you are involved in a accident and need a grille for your car,then what?

I am a 32 guy and I have a couple of very nice shells & grille inserts for the unexpected.

I'm just thinking out loud. HRP

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Tim, I just purchased a very good std grille at the Long Beach Swap Meet for $100. Did you try the Early Ford Store of CA or CW Moss. I will check with my friends to see if they have for sale.

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I would keep your grille and not use it on that build.. You'll be sorry if you use it.. You can always sell it later for probably more money then you would charge him..

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

As others have said, keep the NOS grille; you never know when you might need it (or the $$) yourself. Friendship is fine, but not at the risk of shooting yourself in the foot. JMTCW.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lynn-Thx I have tried all the dealers. Will keep looking as I don't want to sell mine-have another 40 std coupe in the pipeline as well as a deluxe(I have a grill for that)--obviously it also needs a grill. Also there are no bumpers guards or wiper towers available at this time. Will keep looking-have two months til grill will slow down the project-some of this stuff is getting much harder to find.
    I keep saying this is the last one but that was 3 40's ago-two more on the horizon-one I will be doing shortly--black std coupe, 327, axle, ac leather etc etc At 74 I'm a little slower but it keeps me busy with something to do. Long ago you only built one as funds would allow. Money is not an issue now, just time and energy-expect this one to take 3 months minus uph shop time.

LOU WELLS, bobwop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Another option might be to let him have your grille with the firm understanding that he replace it with a Drake reproduction when they're available, regardless of the price. That, of course, assumes that Drake or Vintique, etc., will have them again. Again, JMTCW.

Irish Mike and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Assuming they will be available is questionable at best-not going to take that chance just yet. He would replace it at whatever cost no problem.

15. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

How about using a '39 Deluxe grille?

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THX but want a stock std grill. If I give mine up I may be out of luck for the next std coupe-not going to there at this time.
    Also think I have had a couple of scammers fishing.

17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I think one of our hambers is gonna save me on the bumper guards!! Again, couple of spammers fishing too.

18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Did Drake have any idea when or how long or if at all till they have more ? I bought one as a spare in case something happened to mine. I hate to see you needing one and this one just sitting in wait for a maybe. Kinda scary to turn loose of it if they don't think they will do any more but I just can't imagine Drake giving these up.

19. blazedogs

blazedogs

20. blazedogs

blazedogs

Try Macs or Snyders

21. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Kind of ot but I recently saw a post in the classifieds wanted section for 40 front windshield garnish moldings. The poster was in the UK so I posted that I had bought some from Drake, he said they no longer have them. In an effort to help him I checked with Carpenter ( no longer have them), then called the normal suppliers around the country only to discover that repos are not to be had and no originals were available. I am glad I have a nice pair for my Tudor. Original stuff at the swap meets will be getting more expensive. I don't think that I will do another 40 after the Tudor but it will be hard to pass up pieces at the swap meets.

22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

agreed-getting tough to find the parts-just went thru this with boards there were none then a few came out I got one set from a large supplier thursday--they only received two sets!! May buy the other set too!! I have a full set of deluxe coupe moldings that I have been saving for the next project-bought 10 yrs ago out of Canada-I also gave a vent wing to someone on here that needed some a while back and gave some other 40 parts to someone on here too.

23. metalman

metalman

I got extra bumper guards if those you already lined up don't work out Tim.
    For someone looking there are some 40 Garnish moldings on Ebay right now, pretty cheap.

24. I'm a grill hoarder too....always bought a spare just in case.....hard to turn loose of a nice one. Patience grasshopper....one will show up.......

25. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

good luck Tim

27. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

With the pricing of grills (34 or 37 Ford for example) your NOS grill price should be at least 3 or 4 grand. Don't sell it short!

28. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Are the repro grilles that were made in Brazil (I think it was Brazil) back 40-50 years ago usable? Or do they tend to not fit or have other problems that make them not worthwhile?

I ask because I have one still in the box that I bought around 1970. Had a 40 std at that time and bought it but never tried to install it. Formed steel outer section and separate die cast chromed center section.

Just curious as I'm sure the OP knows, and its not gonna hurt my feelings if he says they're not fit to install on a goat wagon. :D

29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Sounds like you will regret selling it to your friend no matter what the price.
    Besides, you know how it goes. Once you sell it, YOU will need it.
    Would be best to 'hang in there" and keep searching.
    Hope your friend is searching too and not leaving it up to you to find one. Whoever thought that Ford parts would start becoming so rare?

30. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thx to lothiandon1940 and Kan Kustom here on the HAMB I have a grill and guards. They came thru and I am deeply greatful. Sent em personal checks and items arrived as promised in as new condition. The HAMB came thru again!! These guys are stand up trustworthy people-you can trust them!! Still need a std grill now for my painter (I have one for my next in the works 40) Thx again!!!