Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 39 crossmember in Model A frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael_e, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Michael_e

Michael_e

I tried a search for the title of this thread. I got hits for everything. Not real good with searches, tried + between words, tired quote at beginning & end. There was one mention about someone who did this, but no pics in his thread. So I looked up his profile info and all his posts and after about 8 pages I didn't find anything.
    Can anyone help? Pics would be great, but will take anything, you know, like a explanation of what was done. Any links would be great.
    I'm wanting to build a 27 roadster on a model a frame with a 39 crossmember, with a 37 flat motor-21 stud, and hide a t5 trans inside the crossmember rails. I will have to make a custom center section and wanting to keep the enclosed drive line.
    Thanks

2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will be watching this thread. Torque tube and a T5 . Jeep T5?

3. Budget36

Budget36

The '39 isn't really a cross member, are you looking at putting the whole 39 x-frame in the A frame?

Or do you mean the front cross member?

4. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

This might help. There is another video following this one that continues on with the 39 X install.

5. You mean like this? Photos of my chassis were all over here a few years back.

Test fit #1 004.jpg
    It's been on hold for a few years but here is where it's at now.
    20151023_094028.jpg
    Also I say Screw the 5 speed. You will get maybe 5 feet in first gear and with a little 21 stud it's going to lay down on ya in 5th on any kind of up hill grade. All you'll end up doing is shifting way more than you'll like. Way over rated and unnecessary in my book. It's just Flap for bench racing B.S. talk. If you really want something that 's just a little better choice than a T-5 use a GM truck 3+1, at least you can get moving with First gear. The big plus is you can run a Hurst shifter. At least that part will look correct.
    The Wizzard

bct and big duece like this.
  6. And there you have 2 different ways to do the same basic job.

7. Here's the car I base my T-5 comment on. We never use 1st gear.
    Gerry's coupe 001.jpg
    The Wizzard

Texas Webb likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

PnB, that your car?

Man, that is nice!

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

I use a 1984-87 , F150 three speed with O/D in my avatar with torque tube. First and second are the same ratio as the Model A transmission.

RICH B likes this.
  10. The channeled Roadster is mine. The Sport Coupe is my running buddy's. We were just getting ready to put the Top on. That was about 8 years ago. That car gets driven a lot and 1st gear is near never used at all.

11. X2 on manyolcars info.And it almost looks like it came that way.

12. Michael_e

Michael_e

Thanks for all the replies. I got to checking all my posts and found I had asked this same type of question back in Dec 2016. I've had some medical challenges in the last couple years so please try not to come down on me too harshly. I really want to build a HAMB worthy hot rod. BTY, the same two guys who answered this thread had answered the earlier thread with pics too. You guys are great.

bct likes this.
  13. bct

bct

Sounds ideal. Did you machine your own adapter?

14. bct

bct

15. RICH B, that is a genuine old BITD chassis illustration!

RICH B likes this.
  16. Michael_e

Michael_e

Thanks again for the replies. I checked out the link to manyolcars. Lots of good tech info there. And I really liked that frame/v8 crossmember drawing supplied by Rich B. X38, what is BITD? When I first saw the drawing, I thought it was a little like a Stroker McGurk inspired drawing. Cool no matter what. I hope I can post some pics as I go along if I can just get some cooperation from my smart phone.
    Thanks---Mike

17. Sorry, 'back in the day.' The golden age.