Register now to get rid of these ads!

pot metal repair?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by negativeMatt, Jan 23, 2004.

1. not a tech post, but a request. is it possible to repair pot-metal? my pop's 54 stude coupe has a cracked grille and it seems to be pretty dang tough to locate another one. i kinda remember reading in r&c once on how to repair, but i can't locate that ol' rag in my stash. any ideas?

2. swissmike

swissmike

I just picked up a couple of rods of A-LUM-ITE at from a vendor at the local swap meet. It kind of looks like aluminum and is supposed to braze / weld aluminum, pot metal, copper, magnesium and a ton of other stuff. It has a very low melting point 720F and does not need flux .
    I have not tried it yet, but the demo at the swap meet looked impressive.
    The stuff is distributed by DIVESCO INC., PO Box 18097, Charlotte, NC 2821, Phone 704 567 9800.
    Hope this helps.

3. whizzerick

whizzerick

Kustoms, Swiss: I tried that stuff and it works...
    I'm usually sceptical towards 'snake oils' and 'miracle rods', but I actually saved a carb flange that had been over-torqued till ripping the holes. The carb is made of Zamak (a zink rich, aluminum alloy- pot metal is generally Zamak).
    It will NOT adhere to steel, so by putting a steel plate UNDER the flat of the flange, I was able to fill it till I had enough 'meat' to drill it back to specs.
    Just my 2 cents,
    rick

4. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

if die cast pieces need bent, according to my body-working book (The Key to Metal Bumping), you can safely bend die cast at 160-170 degree F.

5. deuceguy

deuceguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This Muggy-Weld stuff looks to be pretty good. I could be wrong but I think there were 1 or 2 hambers that tried it and said it worked.
    http://www.muggyweld.com

6. sweet, thanks guys, my dad will be stoked.

7. PotmetalB

PotmetalB

Hello. Yes. It is very much possible. As a matter of fact, this is an area I specialize in. Here are a couple images of a 37 Mercury grille I fixed for someone a couple of weeks ago...

Attached Files:

j-jock and koolkemp like this.
  8. green guy

green guy
    from Ga

do you braze it or tig weld it what kind of rod? Bill

9. PotmetalB

PotmetalB

...This is not soldered. It's 100% welded with zamak filler. I've been doing #potmetalrepair for a while and I've got it done to an art. If anyone has any questions, please reply or just text my business line at 7076215052, I'll respond immediately.

10. upspirate

upspirate

Maybe you should look into being one of the HAMB Alliance vendors:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?page_id=175

11. I sent my pitted pot metal parts to Steve at Advanced Plating,he did a beautiful job. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017