Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Don Orosco's Latest Deuce Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HEMI32, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Such an awesome car -- Thanks for posting this, Todd!

HEMI32 likes this.
  2. Lol. Your eye. Always enjoy your subjects, your choices. The "thank you" stands ! :)

HEMI32 likes this.
  3. redo32

redo32

I'm going to presume that Don's shop built this too. I called there several years ago looking for info on a Pat Warren quickchange like they had used in a previous roadster and I talked to Olli. Again I will presume he still works for Don. I don't know the painter, but will chalk it up to unusual wording to give his guys credit.

4. A Boner

A Boner

Sorry.....with white walls it needs a white top. Otherwise it's beautiful!

chop job, timwhit and lurker mick like this.
  5. I agree that the "and hired some hot rod “greats” to fabricate (Olli Eriksson), paint (Robert Hatchman), and upholster (Tom Sewell)" wording on the placard is a bit cumbersome, but it does acknowledge the individual craftsmen's contribution to the build more so than if Don simply stated that the car was built at his "MONTEREY Speed & Sport" shop.

To the best of my knowledge, Olle (not Olli) Eriksson still works at Orosco's shop. However, the other two talented craftsman actually run their own businesses: Robert Hatchman Autocraft (specializing in Porsche racecar restoration in Grants Pass, Oregon) and Sewell's Upholstery (in Cambria, California).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    SAVAGE and flamingokid like this.
  6. fortynut

fortynut

I love it. And, the armchair quarter backs kibitzing over nuances puzzles me. Those choices were Don's and his stamp on the deal, like a signature. Who of us would complain about the mountains in the distance Da Vinci painted behind Mona Lisa? I would bet the ranch, Leonardo would look the man in the eyes that said that, and say, You don't like the way I paint my picture? Go paint your own!"

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    BrerHair, The37Kid, Hendee and 2 others like this.
  7. flamingokid

flamingokid

Some guys are just great with the iPhone.With me,it's hit and miss.Great pics,very nice subject matter :)

HEMI32 likes this.
  8. SquintBoy

SquintBoy

Nice birthday present, hemi32!

sent from the red phone

HEMI32 likes this.
  9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VERY NICE!!!------'39 box won't last long if he "Drives" it!!-----Mine's ALL FORD!

10. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Damn...that's a pretty car. Even if it has the wrong grille and the wrong color top...haha

11. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don is a great guy and I hope he gets his name on the big trophy in Pomona !

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. slug

slug

That's about as nice a roadster as I have seen in a while. How timeless. I think it is one of those that will stand the test of time to look up to way down the road. The tan top looks perfect to me...as the rest of the car does. Can't wait to see it in January.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

If he's coming East to race at Lime Rock I sure hope it makes the trip, beautiful car. Bob

14. dinglebarry

dinglebarry

I recall approx 35 years ago at a club meeting, one guy quippe. d of a member n the money. The owner of the bilt car let others know of his humble beginnings and hard work ethics and if he used the hours it would take to build the car and invested that time on business he could afford to have the car done for himself
    This rodder while well known is quite down to earth and unassuming. I learned a lesson that night.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.
  15. Here's a couple more pics of Orosco's Roadster on the streets of Carmel-By-The-Sea:

2017 Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours On The Avenue by Victor Varela (1).jpg

2017 Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours On The Avenue by Victor Varela (2).jpg
    images by Victor Varela
    SportsCarDigest logo.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    ls1yj, Dyno Dave, j3harleys and 7 others like this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is there something special about the front fenders were they sit on top the frame? For some reason they just look different than other '32's. Really like the tapered louvers on the top of the hood. Bob

17. That's one special 32.

18. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I think you guys took my post wrong. I think that is one of the best if not THE best roadster I ever saw. I was not intending to make light of Don. all I meant was if you don't have the ability to build , large sums of money can come close to getting what you want. we used to see it all the time in the '90's , guys without a clue where the spark plug went were paying big bucks to have cars built. that is why you see cars for sale in the six figure range that should be closer to 40-50K. I am sorry you all mistook my intention. it was not meant to be critical of the owner. I know his roots, and his involvement in the hot rodding circle. some times my posts come across the wrong way, sorry.----Jim

19. Here's some (fuzzy) screen grabs from a YouTube video:

2017 Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours On The Avenue - Orosco Deuce Roadster - Engine (1).JPG
    2017 Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours On The Avenue - Orosco Deuce Roadster - Engine (2).JPG

20. Well Don does live in NORTHERN California.....LOL

LOU WELLS likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @HEMI32 yeah its only a cellphone but behind every picture is an eye and you have a good one...;) Thanks for presenting this beauty...

HEMI32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. Actually, does any roadster need a Winterfront grill???? No, but I still want one!!! And a Rochester fuel injection while I'm making wishes!!! Maybe that Winterfront grill helps that Rochester fuel injection unit on the cold starts???
    I did drive my roadster up in South Dakota in the winter one time when it was about 12 degrees. It had a heater and heated seats and that still wasn't enough to be very warm!

Thanks for the under the hood shots HEMI32!

j3harleys, HEMI32 and LOU WELLS like this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'd love to have a Pines grill but all I can afford is a piece of cardboard.

HEMI32, j3harleys, LOU WELLS and 2 others like this.
  24. I'm saving up for some chicken wire...........the cardboard doesn't cool very well in Arizona!:D

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Refreshing to see some restraint when it comes to chroming front end. Almost a sleeper, exquisite.

As for Todd's photographic taste and skills . . . what else could one expect? Genes, baby, genes.

Just Gary and HEMI32 like this.
  26. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It is wonderful that folks like Don build such masterpieces.
    Otherwise we would never get to enjoy their beauty.
    It's like a rolling car museum and a piece of history, for sure.
    Not a bad legacy.
    Hooray for D.O.!

j3harleys, kiwijeff and Alaska Jim like this.
  27. banjorear

banjorear

Totally rad. Love it. Kudos to DO and his crew. Well done.

28. pitman

pitman

Don must have made the 2nd-gen ARDUN heads...quite the rodder in my book!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since its been "shown" can it still be up for AMBR. I thought they had some goofy rules... I sure hope not. This one is sure better than those sploopy nose POS they seem to like.

30. Jimmy, as I understand it, it's the first time shown anywhere for the Ridler award but first time shown at the GNRS for the AMBR award.

Mick

LOU WELLS and HEMI32 like this.