Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Looks OK to me, but I'm just an old car what do I know.

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

3. 296ardun

296ardun

Speed-Inc--of-San-Jose-(2).jpg
    Speed Inc from San Jose, looks like Half Moon Bay
    rod riders.jpg
    Rod Riders, at Santa Ana, deuce 5 window converted to 3-window...from the Screwdrivers of Culver City collection...(hope I didn't post this before!!)

sush.jpg
    Once unblown and on gas...still won a lot of races.

safeway .jpg
    Safeway Sandblasting, steel Fiat-bodied competition coupe with the blown Ardun that once ran in their C/GS Willys. Norm Wilcox drove.

west salem 3.jpg
    Unknown sbc car at West Salem, OH...looks like a 'vette injector...nothing fancy, but for a lot of us, that was the point.

4. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]
    Ratican, Jackson, and Sterns gas altered at the Nationals, where it won class. It, too, has been restored, and Ron Stearns got another chance to fire it up.
    upload_2017-8-17_5-9-32.png
    RATICAN, JACKSON, STEARNS Fiat Altered with a cool push truck/delivery.
    62417 Lions Dragstrip Museum Cacklefest

Dave,

Here is the latest photo I took of the Ratican, Jackson, Stearns Fiat Altered at the Lions Dragstrip Museum Cacklefest in June. (It had a very cool Chevy, push truck delivery) Sorry, I did not get the sound of the altered firing up…I was just down the line at the dragster section.

As long as we are on blue Fiat Altereds, maybe someone would know who was the owner/driver of this blue Altered Fiat at Lions and Bakersfield in 1960. (footage from my Lions/Bakersfield films, 1960...)

Junji

upload_2017-8-17_5-12-27.png Lions Dragstrip 1960
    upload_2017-8-17_5-12-58.png
    Bakersfield Smokers March Meet 1960

One of the last few "unknowns with footage," but, no name of the owner/driver/specs. It is not the early version of the Ratican, Jackson, Stearns Fiat Altered. Verified...

5. Brett Wells

Brett Wells

Hi there does anyone have photo's of what intake manifolds Jot Horne made? I have a 6 cylinder Horne sportz manifold, will post a photo, would be great to see some photo's BJ

6. loudbang

loudbang

enloe likes this.
  7. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Jnaki --

I can't figure out how to send a Private Message to you. I have, somewhere, and early 33rpm recording from Bakersfield. I'd send it to you if you could use it. I'm certainly not using it. The latest it could be is 1966. It could be earlier, as I attended for two years before I was drafted. Give me a clue if you want it.

Stan Back

jnaki likes this.
  8. mohead1

mohead1

Thats the real deal....love it....raw azz horsepower

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

10. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

applekrate and loudbang like this.
  11. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like he's hooked up better than Chrisman...

loudbang likes this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Stan,
    If you look at anyone's profile, look for: "Start a Conversation" that is what is considered a PM. When someone does a conversation, you will get an email from HAMB about that conversation from the other person. You can add JPEG photos, but I am not sure how to send the whole recordings over the HAMB "conversation" page. I saved the drags sounds as a WAV file in my own files.
    [​IMG]

I would be glad to get any photos or sounds of drag racing cars or motors. If the file is too large for the PM or regular email, use the company called We Transfer. They allow anyone, anywhere, to send up to 2 gb worth of stuff for free, using their company's servers. If there is anything larger, they will charge $12.00 per month. If I have the movies of the car(s) in my files, I will certainly make a sound added movie and give you credit.

Thank you for thinking of me...

Jnaki on the HAMB

Junji Nakamura
    Start a conversation with me, using Jnaki
    [​IMG]

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

14. rudestude

rudestude

Some pictures from a June '93 Northwest Cruzin' Magazine...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The car on the trailer in the last picture I remember seeing it run at P.I.R. in Portland Oregon quite often during the late 70's early 80's car ran hard ..never really figured out what it was if I remember correctly it run a Hemi with injection was a cool car.... haven't seen it anywhere for many years......

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not sure but it might be a much modified Ladawri body.

loudbang likes this.
  16. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

leal.JPG
    A smiling Butch Leal and "Old Blue". '62 Chevy 409 2-door sedan, stick shift. I loved that car...

17. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Jnaki --

I've started (I think) a Conversation with you. It'd be better if you just called me at the number I sent.

Stan

jnaki likes this.
  18. 296ardun

296ardun

hrxp-1107-1960-eric-rickman-vintage-hot-rod-photos-161.jpg
    Eric Rickman photographing the Dragmaster, looks like Inyokern
    greer.jpg
    GBP, before they lengthened it.

SantaAnaDrags.jpg
    Sidewinder vs Hustler II (I think), far lane, at Riverside. If I remember right, Chrisman used an H&H chassis on this car.
    shreve.JPG
    Shreve Automotive, from Louisiana, blown Olds

swindlerA.jpg
    Sam Parriott, vs SWC, Winternationals.

union grove.jpg
    2 unknowns at Union Grove, WI

Speed-Sport.jpg
    I know that there have been lots of Speed Sport roadster pictures posted here, raise your hand if you think there are too many???

Hombre, Bowtie Coupe, enloe and 4 others like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

20. No such thing as too many pictures of Ol' Noisey Dave!!

21. 296ardun

296ardun

I didn't think I would get any objections....

loudbang, Dean Lowe and jnaki like this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

NO OBJECTIONS FROM SO CAL...
    upload_2017-9-16_17-25-28.png
    Early morning time trials Bakersfield Smokers Meet 1960.
    upload_2017-9-16_17-26-16.png
    upload_2017-9-16_17-26-44.png Eliminations vs Tony Waters
    upload_2017-9-16_17-27-6.png finish by 4 car lengths...
    Bakersfield Smokers Meet 1960, eliminations in the afternoon…Speed Sport vs Tony Waters… “One for the books…”

Hey Dave,

We can never get enough photos, action or otherwise, of the Speed Sport Roadster. I am sure there are other shots that have not been posted here. The roadster was BIG TIME in its own right…during those early racing days.

Junji

Yes, there were other rear engine roadsters, but only one, Speed Sport Special… Sorry, there are some internet shots of the Speed Sport Roadster at Lions Dragstrip, but I did not film them at the time. Riverside Raceway in 1959, yes, Bakersfield 1960, yes, definitely. Thanks for your photos.

Creighton Hunter/Hill/Acala did not have a chance on this day...

23. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

And another great thread gets bumped up to the top.

hendelec likes this.
  24. 296ardun

296ardun

PVTA.jpg
    Chuck Griffith's PVTA special, one of the most carefully constructed dragsters of its era.

montgomery cord buick saugus.jpg
    Don Montgomery's Buick straight-8 powered Cord at Saugus. Has anyone heard from Don lately?

wardencole.jpg
    Lefty Mudersbach in the Warden & Cole gas roadster, which he built.

Drags-4.jpg

Waterworth & Morris, Olds powered, at Santa Ana

saugus balchosky.jpg
    Max Balchowski, at left, deuce roadster then running a LaSalle V-8. Jimmy Summers, the famous customizer, shaped the grille to clear the frame rails...Max would later drop a Buick V-8 in this roadster and take it road racing. Even later, Max built "Ole Yeller," his hand-fabricated sports racer that took second place over the really expensive sports cars at the L.A. Times Grand Prix at Riverside. He also taught Tommy Ivo how to build Buick engines. I think that Lou Baney, who managed Saugus, is second from left.

25. Thanks for waking this thread up again Dave.

26. rooman

rooman

And to keep the interest up I plan to post some of my old shots from Australia. Some of these may have been posted before but at that time I was using Photobucket and as we all know that deal went away a little while back. Anyway here are a couple to start. These are from Brooksfield Dragway, an eighth mile track run by the hot rod clubs in my home state of South Australia.
    Crappy focus but this is Hans Klemme's Y block Ford powered car from Victoria. Klemme also raced a 34 Ford coupe, also Y block powered.
    img062.jpg Here we have Bob Skoglund's early hemi powered digger from Victoria's long standing Eagles club.
    img034.jpg
    Roo

27. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

28. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

Knapp and Westerdale

1-13010.jpg

29. christmas tree

christmas tree

Not in motion but in staging and burn out area a few years ago. Bringing back memories of my younger days. 16833307_1710180355675007_1212211124_o.jpg 16810251_1710180309008345_50760724_o.jpg

30. rooman

rooman

A couple more from my archives. This time we have a pair of Fiat D/Altereds. The class was for pre 1963 six cylinder, flathead V8's and straight 8's and the most common engine was the early Holden (GM) six cylinder which is like a scaled down Blue Flame Chevy. The 1963 split was instigated because from then on the Holdens had a version of the 230/250 Chevy six (again scaled down) that was much more efficient.

First up is Ray Harper's Holden powered car. The first generation Topolino was rare down under so most altereds used the second "bustle back" style body
    img032.jpg
    Brent Pilkington also ran a Holden powered Fiat
    img045.jpg
    Roo