Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest MUST READ CAR SHOW ETIQUETTE GREAT TIPS :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flattandscruggs1, Jul 15, 2017.

els likes this.
  2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

There's nothing wrong with politely asking if an owner would consider selling a vehicle, so long as an answer in the negative is respected. Wayne Gretzky said, "You miss 100% of the shot you don't take". That's true. But if you politely inquire, a nasty response such as the one described above would/should be succinctly met with a "Go XXXX Yourself". There's just no reason to be nasty like that.

wicarnut, Bruce Fischer, els and 3 others like this.
  3. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

There are to0 many people who have nothing else in their life than their car and they define themself about their car.
    Otherwise is some behavior not explainable.
    Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-15 um 13.27.35.png

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Okie Pete, jazz1, belair and 5 others like this.
  4. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Years ago, I was invited to a museum function for past and current Carrera racers, a bunch of famous and not so famous racers were there Ak Miller, John Fitch, Smokey Unich, on and on. I had my replica Mercury out board 1955 300 there. This guy walks up asked if I was the owner, he then begins about a twenty minute rant on what a piece of shit my car is, (what? this is real news to me) his rant increases in intensity and a small crowd gathers around listening to how bad my paint is, etc.,etc, this trim is incorrect and so on. Finally when he was done, I said does this mean yer not gonna buy it? the guy just exploded and screamed "I wouldn't buy that f------ piece of s---" the crowd that had gathered just exploded into laughter and the guy stomped off. It made me think of what my Mom used to say "If you can't say something nice, Shut the F--- up"

5. Foolthrottle.AGREED!!!!Bruce.

els likes this.
  6. I always bring the title of the car I am showing at the car show. If some asks how much do you want for it? I tell them and if they say well may be. I say I got the title right here and can sign it right over to you. That always makes them shut up and walk away. LOL. Bruce.

7. Can you say "drop kick"? I knew you could...

els, Bruce Fischer and Thor1 like this.
  8. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I have always owned and strived for nice shiny paint and painted many others but now I'm over it. Since I now daily drive a well worn original patina '59 Apache I get more compliments than I ever got or got driving any of my near perfect shiny rides. I'm not sure why people like this old dull scratched truck but I can leave the windows down and I don't care I it's touched . Is kinda fun to not worry if someone gets too close.
    At yesterday's local San Dimas annual show there were lots of the usual perfect shiny rides but I now gravitate to the more natural patina aged dull hot rods . I still appreciate all the work and time it takes to build a shiny beauty but the cost of s paint job is now ridiculous . $200,000 for paint is not possible and are we talking body and paint only? Who would pay that. I can see that much for a hand beat aluminum body plus paint but just for paint no way. That painter is laughing at the owner all the way to the bank!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been tempted to take titles but for a different reason. It would be for the individual who feels the need to ask stupid stuff like "why did you paint it yellow"?

I could whip title out and ask the dipshit his name. Bob? Well, Bob, your name is not on the title so get the fuck on down the street!

Jet96, Bruce Fischer and els like this.
  10. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

And why did you painted it yellow?

Clay Belt, tommyd, pat59 and 4 others like this.
  11. LOL

Clay Belt, pat59 and els like this.
  12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hang on a minute, Steffen, while I dig up the title and then I will explain it to you.

tommyd, clem, Jet96 and 7 others like this.
  13. The only thing missing is the Bandit himself

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

15. redo32

redo32

Yellow is my least favorite color. Why would you paint your car a color I don't like. Does this mean you don't like me?

16. Dave B.

Dave B.

I agree 100%. The only ones that I ever get short with are the ones who won't let well-enough alone and keep bugging me. I had one guy come back about an hour after I politely declined to put a price on the car. He shoved a checkbook and a pen at me and said: "Here, YOU fill in the price."

My favorite follow-up, however, involves my friend John. We go to shows and cruise-ins together fairly often. If John happens to be with me and someone won't let up about buying the car, I just point at John and tell them they'll have to talk to him. This always gets a puzzled look from the flake and the inevitable question: "Why do I have to ask him?" To which I reply: "I've appointed John as the executor of my estate. He's the one who'll be selling the car." Sometimes ticks them off, but it usually works!

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

I just went through the hassle of repairing a wiper arm on my 63 Impala that the tension spring mechanism came loose because the wiper arm was lifted too high off the windshield. It took two men and a boy to stretch the tension spring and get that piss poor mechanism back together.. God help anyone I find dicking with my wiper blades or arms especially rod run fliers.

Gary

Bruce Fischer, olscrounger and els like this.
  18. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I go to truck shows exclusively and try never to miss an opportunity to get someone in the seat of my truck. They talk about the old truck smell, the size of the steering wheel, the stoutness of the metal. If they see the hood up they invariably say..."You can actually work on the engine, everything is just right there!"

19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"I remember when I was a kid and when an adult showed some kindness, IT IS remembered."

This really made me think, I am going to try to always keep it in mind with my own and others' kids.

Cosmo49, j3harleys, Steve Ray and 4 others like this.
  20. Lonejacklarry NOW I like that!!!!! Bruce.

els and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Lonejacklarry.If your talking about your 55 Chevy in your Avatar.I LIKE IT! Bruce.

els and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Chryslerfan.Yea that cop had a good sense of humor.He said wait, before you take the picture I will make a face like I am mad at you. Real nice guy he was.Bruce. 009.JPG

Gman0046, els and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

As a track coach and scout leader go easy on the kids. There is no such thing as a bad kid, only bad parents. Don't yell. Be nice and polite and explain to the kid what the car is all about.
    Same goes for dogs. They just don't ask as many questions.

Clay Belt, j3harleys, clunker and 7 others like this.
  24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Well said, I've had my kids yelled at and even cursed at because they almost maybe could have come close to a car and or display. And these are kids that have grown up around cars and typically conduct themselves well. Major turn off for passing the torch.

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Clay Belt, els and clunker like this.
  25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

P.s. with that being said I've seen "less than behaved children" unsupervised almost cause serious damage to cars paint. Still I'd be mindful of how we talk to the kids. As for adults being stupid and inconsiderate have at It!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  26. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

I have never been a fan of the cry babies myself. Then I got a bright idea! I put a wiper motor in the dolls ass & ran a short cable down each leg to the feet. Put the babies head under the tire & plugged the wiper motor into a 12v outlet. add a wiper switch & you can regulate the speed of the babies kicking. Horrified most of the women & most of the husbands pissed themselves.

27. LostBoy

LostBoy

IMG_8501.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  28. els

els

I have been watching this thread off and on to see if new stuff comes up. Hers a state of the art DONT'S I just witnessed for myself. I saw a clown attempting to fly a drone with camera over a car show and did the ugliest crash landing into 2 high end roadsters. Dumb ass spectator.

29. 1929rats

1929rats

30. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The talking trash part is so true . Last week end I saw a very nice model A fenderless roadster tall skinny tires . I loved the car the look the stance . There were two guys that just ripped it as it drove by , well I bet he thinks the sbc and alternator are traditional . I wanted to ask them what they built and drove but I didn't. I'm guessing they wouldn't have liked my car either .

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Clay Belt likes this.