Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Noisy electric fan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 16, 2017.

1. I have been slowly upgrading the Deuce 4 door sedan,I have reworked the brakes and rebuilt the rear axle,I have also rebuilt the transmission and I am saving soda bottles & recycling aluminum cans to get enough extra cash to upgrade to a zips riser and a mechanical fan....but in the meantime I am forced to use the electric fan.

It is no secret I am no fan (pun intended) of electric fans and that might be the reason the one in this car is so loud!:rolleyes:

What can be done to one of these fans to suppress the noise? HRP

3W JOHN and dana barlow like this.
  2. BTW,I don't run the fan all the time,only when I am in traffic or traffic lights,a old friend pulled up beside me yesterday and tried to ask me a question and I had to turn the fan off to hear him. HRP

ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 2 cars with electric fans and both of them are so loud I cant hear the fan over the motor and exhaust system. So 3 recommendations;
    1. Use a curved blade SPAL fan (quietest on the market I am told),
    2. Install louder pipes and belt driven supercharger :cool:
    3. Ear buds and Led Zeppelin

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, Just Gary and 6 others like this.
  4. Gman0046

Gman0046

The only electric fan to use is a 16" SPAL. They don't use them on Ferraris for nothing.

5. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I just made my exhaust louder and turn the radio up. Works for me.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) Spal fan controller, like I'm using, (along with a 16" Spal fan) starts the fan at 50% and ramps up higher when needed, then backs down again to 50%, then off. My fan very seldom runs 100% and the result is a much quieter and more efficient fan operation. The Spal is no longer made, but Derale and possibly others do have them. The Derale varies the fan speed from 0 to 100%, and one I'm considering for my '40.

7. Not looking to buy another electric fan,just making the one I have quieter.

I have heard hundreds of fans but none this loud. HRP

8. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Put foam over it:rolleyes:.

Its just part of the cheap fan charm.....

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Check for damage to the blades. Make sure the fan housing is insulated / sealed from the body of the radiator with a piece of rubber. Vary the fan speed. Some blade designs are just noisier than others.

You didn't ask for opinions ;) but personally I hate to see a great looking hot rod or custom idling around and sounding like a blow dryer.

10. Thanks,I will check and make sure nothing is amiss or broken.

And as far ad a nice car sounding like a hair dryer is too kind,it sounds more like a outdoor electric leaf blower,again,I'm stuck with it until winter when it will have a traditional engine driven fan and cure the problem. HRP

11. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

You are running dual fans? Or one single electric fan? Spal 16" is prolly the best way for quietness other than that. Don't know what to say. Louder pipes geared timing chain and louder music.

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. I really don't think you can quiet it down, unless you put a fan controller on it, but you'll want to put that money towards the riser and mechanical fan. If it's cooling more than adequate you could try to reduce the voltage to slow it down 10V, 8V, or 6V.

13. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg
    Too loud of pipes isn't good either.

14. Budget36

Budget36

You won't quiet it down, unless as mentioned above, spin it slower...the price you pay for CFMs and efficient cooling, so have to think if you slow it down, will it still cool the engine well?

Kinda like saying my 7 blade fan makes a lot of noise when I wind it up. Well, either don't wind it up, or try a 5/6 blade fan.

15. I have a 16" Spal on a t-stat that comes on over 195* and it only happens when I'm at a cruise night trying to park. CFM is around 2300 and it isn't too bad, but it only goes on for a few minutes at a clip. Nature of the beast for them to be noisy.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and choptop40 like this.
  16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

17. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Try sticking a baseball card in it so it will sound more like your bike wheel when you where a kid? Sorry, I really bring nothing to the table on this one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

If the fan blades pass very close to stationary objects (such as the radiator core) noise may be created when the air gets "squeezed" between the blade and whatever comes next to it. Think of it like a mechanical siren.

19. Don't remind me of the baseball cards,when I was a kid there were so many Mickey Mantle rookie cards that's all we used. :rolleyes: HRP

20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Ya,the noisist part of 12volt fans is those bitching about them,LOL,but yes there is more then one prob,e-fans can be shaped wrong to start with in design of the blades or shroud,can be placed wrong making them sound off,by wisseling or lower pitch hum{thats really a wissel of a def. tone} or even just vibs or rattell on poor mount. There I just listed more crap then ya even wanted maybe !
    Test by running off the car to see if it plays a bad song then ?

21. Mine sounds like a leaf blower! HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and dana barlow like this.
  22. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

that fan in Dannys car is loud.

HOTRODPRIMER and ladyhrp like this.