Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Another Scammer Tom Reed-Allen Tx.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cowtown, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Cowtown

Cowtown

I have been playing a scammer for 2 weeks just like he has been playing me. This guy emails me and says he has a door for my 46 Ford Sedan Delivery and also some bucket seats. Says he will take $600.00 and pay for the shipping. Sent me some pictures of a 46 delivery (pictured here) that he says he is just selling the parts off. Wants me to send him the money Walmart to Walmart. I told him I have a cousin who lives close to him and he could come by and pickup the parts. He says No Way! Said he doesn't deal with any third party's! He said is name is Tom Reed from Allen, Texas. Here is his email <[email protected]> He wants me to send the money to his wife or so he says. Melissa Allen 1900 Emily St. Metairie, La. 70001 Phone number 702-213-4391. He won't tell me which Walmart she is going to pick up the money. Anyway told him today I was playing him like he was playing me. How did it feel? There will be more to this story in a few days. I will keep you informed.

Attached Files:

dwollam, kiwijeff, Avgas and 9 others like this.
  2. Hope you cause him some heartburn.Parts in Texas and money to La. stinky.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. TVC

TVC

I just this past weekend avoided being scammed almost by accident. The "seller" wouldn't accept a very small down payment until I could have a friend bring the remainder and pick up the car in another day. This would have been a PayPal down payment and a pick-up on Monday. He wanted the whole amount either Walmart to Walmart or Wells Fargo. Wouldn't even give me the address until the money was sent/transferred. Seemed maybe odd but I was trusting and he explained that he'd been burned many times before.

I was still anxious to get the car until I checked his name/address/shop/business on Google and came up with blanks. I was only checking the address to give my buddy a rough idea of where he would be heading for the car. After coming up with nothing, I just bailed. Should have lead him on, but didn't think to.

4. Yep. Tell him your step son lives in Allen. Which I do. Step son .... that's me Dad. :) Jamie Campbell, nice to meet you. I'll meet him at the Allen Eagles Football Stadium on Greenville Ave, any time he's ready. That, or the Home Depot, southwest corner of Highway 75/Central Expressway and Main/East McDermott. Let's do this !!

pigfluxer, '52 F-3, kiwijeff and 11 others like this.

5. There are more and more asshats looking to separate us from our hard-earned money. Car guys trust car guys, these hemorrhoid cushions are not car guys.

6. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a recent experience non car related...financing ....1600.00 was the amount this fellow was looking to sting from me....fool me once.....as they say...

Survivor48 likes this.
  7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I seem to recall one of the other scammer threads involved a request to send $$$ to Metairie, La. If so, it's the same guy.

If you had Googled the picture he sent you, you could have written him back telling him it would be impossible to sell you parts off that delivery (as pictured) because apparently, per Pew's Place' page, it's an old construction photo of a now finished car;

http://www.pewsplace.com/fridays-deliveries-2/

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=s...lg8Ogcm1RbOLR5JcsNXb-hXHpmD0msCMGgEc9AYnjUT3Q

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  8. Never2low

Never2low

Avgas and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. I'm largely a cash-and-carry guy locally, meet and pick up the item in person. If the seller or buyer sounds flaky, pass it up. I can screen them out in about 10 seconds.

I like eBay, there is a lot of protection for the buyer and seller. I buy parts there constantly, used and new. Never had a bad deal.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  10. Exactly. Everyone doing these type of transactions should learn how to google images. It would prevent a lot of scams.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Tell 'em you will meet them at the closest police station near them to exchange the money and do the appropriate paper work. That's usually the last time you hear from them.

12. BJR

BJR

That is a great idea. If real he will do it, if not he will not show up or reply.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  13. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

I enjoy doing the voice of Harry Carry talking to phone solicitors and scammers.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't see how anyone with a computer could not be aware of these scams with Walmart or MoneyGram... may as well just send them cash, then they don't have to go pick it up to steal from you

blowby likes this.
  15. 37gas

37gas

Go to goggle images and put in 1946 ford sedan delivery, about 1/2 way down 1st page is your sedan delivery not for sale and not for parts. When you ask for parts a scammer just pulls a picture off of Google and sends it to you hoping you fall for his scam. This is not the first time I have seen this happen. Any time someone sends you a picture it is most likely off the internet some where

16. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will always ask for a picture of the inside of a fender or the bottom of a tail light or some other odd picture. If I get the "my camera is at work and I'm off for the summer" or some other story I suspect I am being scammed. I've been tempted to ask for a picture of the part with the seller holding it. Not 100% but it might be fun to see what happens.

17. Avgas

Avgas

Amongst other things, this behaviour is destructive! Dealing & communicating with you guys & us Aussies trying to get a deal happening with other H.A.M.B.ers makes it just that much more difficult! The only saving grace is that if you've been around some & havnt pissed people you have some street creed! Yes I have been stitched up on here to! Cheers Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I was scammed once but not twice. I know the signs now. The last time I picked up on a scam I was looking for a rare intake manifold. I recognized his pics right away. The intake had been forsale on here a year ago. So, I asked for a selfie with the part because I have a fettish with assholes and intakes. I never got a pic.

charleyw, kiwijeff and hans mercman like this.
  19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

That Yellow delivery looks suspiciously like the one Lynn Pew shows from time to time on Pews Place that he used to own. I believe he says it is now owned by Jim Smith of the Hot Rod Garage.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  20. OK, for all of us potential scamm-ees, how do you google an image?
    Also, another trick to sort them out is to get them to take a photo of the part next to a recent newspaper showing the date. Or a photo of them standing next to the part, holding a fish over their head. The fish one works especially well for Nigerians.

Atwater Mike and 6inarow like this.
  21. 37gas

37gas

In this case go to Google and type in 46 sedan delivery when the screen comes up just click on images under your search

22. You can also save the picture from his E-mail to your computer and go to google images, click on the camera icon to the right of the text box and upload the image from your computer. google will look for that image on the web.
    It's called an "image search"

clunker, tonkadawg, ClarkH and 2 others like this.
  23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

clunker, tonkadawg and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That, it is. See my link in post #7.

25. Also if you're on a mac, you can click and drag the photo from your email onto your hard drive. Open Google page in your browser. Click on "images". Click and drag the photo on hard drive, Then a box will appear that reads "drop image here"
    [​IMG]

Then you get a bunch of thumbnails of "similar" images.
    [​IMG]

then it leads you to sites where the original image appeared:
    [​IMG]

Don't do this one, it will lead you directly to my homepage, I'm balding with a hunch back, I look just like Mr. Burns.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

The Shift Wizard and Mike Miller like this.
  26. Like said above.I tell them my brother in law live in the next town over and will come and look at the part or car.I never hear from them again.P.S.All scammers they need to have their balls cut off. Bruce.

Max Gearhead and Atwater Mike like this.
  27. mickeyc

mickeyc

Atwater Mike likes this.
  28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Some very useable material here, thanks, guys.

29. mickeyc

mickeyc

Yes there was a apparent scam attempt recently regarding
    some 32 Ford parts requesting a payment to Metairie La.
    Being a resident of Metairie this offends me as well. I sometimes
    respond to ads as well as place ads. Please do not confuse me
    MickeyC with anyone doing such things.

30. verde742

verde742

I THINK MOST SCAMMERS ARE BORED AND INCARCERATED.

Bruce Fischer likes this.