Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aussie Car Imports - recommendations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aussie A, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Looking for feedback on Aussie Car Imports or recommendations for other companies shipping vehicles to Sydney, Australia from the US.

Thanks

2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

dunno them but get yourself acquainted with latest requirements before spending any money
    edit: "latest enforcing of legislation" is probably more accurate, what they are picking on this month

3. Thanks, I am watching events very closely. Already have vehicle and import approval. Just looking for recommendations from those that have experience with good people to help me run the gauntlet :)

4. George

George

Know a guy who had them send an Aussie Falcon up here w/o problems.

5. I think he wants to go the other way.

6. Does your import approval mention anything about Asbestos content? You may find that once it gets here, it will be inspected and if anything is found (asbestos) it is up to you to remove, etc. Do your homework first, there has been a major dry-up of cars being imported because of this. The situation is changing daily, so keep informed.

KustomKreeps likes this.
  7. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

just look in the Aus hot rod mags. if they are like here in NZ you will spot three or four companies who specialize in importing classic cars from the states.
    And ya I hear Aussie is making it way harder to bring in cars at the moment due to Asbestos. Read of one chap who has been quoted more than the cars value to get it sorted.

I use KiwiShipping over here and couldnt say enough about the service they are that great.

8. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I have a mate who has had a few cars and motorbikes sent to Oz by Montana Exports. He swears by them, but I haven't had any dealings with them myself.

http://www.montanaexports.com

9. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Be very careful, to me it looks like we are now in the death throes of importing cars into Australia.
    The latest rules regarding asbestos seems to be really putting the bite on, from what I have read, cars being stripped and damages on the docks, engine and trans being pulled, clutches removed, wiring removed, brakes etc and all costs passed to owner.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Thanks, the import process mentions the requirement to ensure asbestos is removed from the vehicle (I expect proving total asbestos free will be very difficult).

I have replaced all brake linings with linings that are stated as being asbestos (and copper) free. I have also replaced exhaust manifold and and flange gaskets as well.

Wiring is all new.

So we will see how we go.

Thanks for all the comments and to those who provided recommendations.

11. the insulation strips on the gas tank contain asbestos....

12. Thanks Rick,
    Any other areas I should check?