Register now to get rid of these ads!

Selling a car without a title?? Connecticut, argh!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4ever17, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd want to think that if you had current registrations and plates for them did the notarized bill of sale for the sale that they could take either to most states and walk them through their states registration and title process. Showing up in a different state with paperwork for a vehicle from out of state that hasn't been registered for years can often raise a red flag.

2. 31 5w

31 5w

Bought car from Al. 1930, reg. only . Fl DMV started to give me hard time. Called p.o., he went to Al. DMV, got copy of Al. DMV code had it noterized sent back to me. I took to Fl. DVM -no problems!

3. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Looking at a 1951 Chevy,, all they have is the reggy,,from 1971,,does that sound right ?

4. It depends what state it's in, and you didn't say, but a lot of answers are already posted further up in this thread.

5. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Well was more if it is Valid Conn. It says title after 1959,,but not for something 30 years or older..

Doing the math 1971 would be 20 years ,,so should there be a title ??

6. Just moved to TN from NH. NH has no title on anything over 15 years old. BOS only. Called TN DMV prior to moving and was told that if they had current NH registrations no problem, if I showed up with only a BOS it might be extremely difficult. Since NH has no mandatory insurance & no sales tax I simply registered the 2 cars & 2 bikes that were title exempt and hauled them to TN with me. 1 trip to TN DMV with the NH registrations & a couple weeks later TN titles showed up in the mail. Another cool thing TN does is you only pay 1 time for antique plates and they are good forever. Can't be transferred to a different vehicle though.

7. AllthenamesIpickaretaken

AllthenamesIpickaretaken

Have sold Many many cars over the years that went all over the US ,Canada, and as far away as Australia and never once had an issue with nothing more than a CT. bill of sale .....

8. F&J

F&J

Ct was/is screwy on titles: Titles started in 59, so if that 51 was the same CT owner through 71, it would have never had a title.

But if the car came into CT in 71, it should have had one.

So, that car might have had a title in 71, but some years later, CT changed the statutes and did not require one on older cars...so people lost them or tossed them.

If you were now in CT with a 71 CT reg, it would go through DMV ok, but they may choose to have a VIN verification as the prior reg is so old. It would not need a title here now

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Here in Ohio they have a book explaining all the states title issues and never had any problems in bringing in out of state vehicles,I always went to a certain branch office that had a lady that knew what was going on and got her on the out of state titles.

10. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

FJ - thanks for the info

11. AllthenamesIpickaretaken

AllthenamesIpickaretaken

also the title cutoff is the 1980 model year and older here in CT.. Funny but if you walk into DMV with a title for an 80 or older vehicle the DMV takes it and does not issue a new one........ So what I have done the last few times is simply reg the car with a bill of sale only and keep the title in a folder just in case a future sale could become a problem......

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I brought my old Iron from Connecticut to California, I had no titles, and I had no trouble at all. I waited in line for the oldest employee in the branch. She got out the big book, which is distributed nationally, confirmed that CT does not issue titles on old vehicles. Walked out with paper and plates. A few weeks later, I had fresh CA titles. No issues whatsoever.

My last registration in CT, they did not take the old title from the previous owner from me. They just handed it back.

13. My Uncle swears that if you have enough different brightly colored forms you can convince them at the dmv to do whatever you need done. :D

As much info as possible and I've never been turned down but people are complaining that it's getting tougher here in WA state.

HellsHotRods likes this.
  14. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Sounds to me like you have 4 quarters and think you need a paper dollar.

I've sold 4 cars to folks out of state and no one has ever had a problem with re-registering anywhere else. Yes one to California.
    Pre 1980 don't get titles that is why CT registration forms are the way they are laid out.

A-The current registration form for the vehicle should be used as the bill of sale.
    B-The bottom gets torn off and given to the buyer after both people sign it.
    C-Then the buyer takes that piece of paper to thier DMV office to register the vehicle.
    D-When DMV run's VIN check they get the same information an officer of the law would get if they were giving you a ticket on the road, but it will show as "unregistered". Your bill of sale matches the information if done correctly.
    E-Registration in the new owners name should not be an issue.

15. Healey289

Healey289

Have never had an insurmountable problem selling a CT "antique" out of state within the U.S. but does anyone have experience selling a CT antique outside the U.S.? Someone in France is interested in my Healey but we have hit a snag. He believes France requires a title for imported vehicles regardless of age or where they came from. To make things worse, CT DMV's phone number no longer has a live person option. Their web site is no help either so I will probably drive there next week for an "occupy DMV" day to see if I can somehow get a title on a CT antique car. From my on line research it would appear more people have climbed Mount Everest than have gotten a title on a CT antuique car. Wish me luck!

16. George/Maine

George/Maine

Maine is does,nt need titles on older cars.I think Mass is about the only state in new england thats need one.I have Sold NJ,Ny,Ct with no problem.Just tell buyer you have no title.Some only need reg and bill of sale.

17. Williamzag

Williamzag

Old thread but..........I've been to my CT DMV twice because I lost an out-of-state title to a 1970 car I'm selling. They seemed confused that I wanted a replacement title since CT doesn't require them. I explained that any out of state buyers were likely to be put off by no title, but they didn't seem to understand. Even when I nicely insisted they refused to print one citing policy.

I finally determined that a DMV Bill of Sale form, a generic title letter explaining the policy (from the DMV website) and an old registration are enough. And full disclosure up front to out of state buyers that its a legit car. Seems overly complicated but that's CT.

18. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Most state have all the info and forms online all it takes is a little effort. We have even filled out the forms for buyers.

19. Ever hear of being up Sh!t Creek without a paddle?

That's where you would be here in South Carolina without a title.

A bill of sale, a affidavit from your state saying they don't issue titles fall on deaf ears with the South Carolina DMV,I will not buy a car without a title. HRP

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There needs to be a national standard, then there wouldn't be any questions.

scrapiron likes this.
  21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Fred.Lotsa luck with that.Would put too many trough feeders in the soup lines:rolleyes::eek::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

scrapiron likes this.
  22. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Yes it is now 15 years, it use to be 10 years but for some reason, they change. I have 8 cars with only 2 titles.

23. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

I bought a motorcycle frame from CT had it shipped . And Pink mailed , with a Ca. engine I installed . Was smoothest deal I had don't DMV wize at AAA .

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  24. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I don't think you will have a problem if you have your stuff together. Within the last two weeks I registered two older cars from CT in NY and NY is pretty tough. What is required in NY for the older machines is the last CT registration and a legit bill of sale. CT has a very official bill of sale that is supplied by their DMV possibly available on line. That form and the mentioned last registration in CT and both sailed through with no problems, also recently did the same with a GA registration and bill of sale. Good luck.

Paul B and rjones35 like this.
  25. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Don't forget to pay our 6.999999% Complication Tax. (Hey, gotta bail the State out somehow!)

I had an OT Buick I bought a couple of years ago. Guy I got it from picked it up in NH, brought it back to CT on CT plates ("borrowed" plates). Car was not registered in CT, no NH title or registration, just a bill of sale from someone in NH. From what I got from him (his bill of sale to me, the one he got from NH), a polite letter to someone in NH that had sold the car to the one that sold it to the CT guy, and a little luck, I was able to get it registered in CT. It was a '95, so I got a title, too. I did a little tracing on this car and figure, including the mope that I bought it off of, I was owner #7 or 8.

26. Wherever you are, it's a good idea to copy everything, both sides. Especially if you must give some thing up.
    Might help the next guy.

27. bought a Conn. car a couple years ago and had it hauled to here in Pennsy. Got a Pennsy title with the notorized Conn. bill of sale.

28. So this is an old thread that I started. Funny thing about your post, is that I sold it to a guy in South Carolina and all he said he needed was a motorized bill of sale. This was back in 2011. I know for a fact he registered the car with ease and we communicate to this day. He still owns and enjoys the car.

Have the rules in SC changed since then?

29. junkhead57

junkhead57

I live in CT & sell old cars often. Usually I sell them with a ct bill of sale & a reg in my name. I also include a form I downloaded from the CT DMV of a statchut regarding how CT does NOT title older cars & how the other States abide to this. I give them a copy because the " other " states dmv is like ours, Lazy as they come. So If you show them proof ,they look it up & your good to go. Usually they don`t even need ti use it.

30. Let the buyer deal with it.