Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fuel pump electric

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff J, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Jeff J

Jeff J

Now that my electric fuel pump is on the fritz working and not working as it's super quiet !AC Delco EP12 what would you run ? As it's a frame mount in line, As I have a Holley for back up, but it's super noisy!!!! Any help would be helpful ! Thanks !

2. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

The Delco pump is a pretty good pump. How old is it, how many miles on the pump? The only issue I ever had was losing the ground. I double grounded the unit (2 different locations) and never had another issue. Bill

3. partssaloon

partssaloon

just put a Cater 4070 pump on a car last week, it's a rotary pump with a nice quiet hum.

mad mikey, '49 Ford Coupe and JeffB2 like this.
  4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I put a Holley pump my Model A and it needs to be replaced. The Holley Mighty Mite pump is a piece of junk. Not that many miles on the pump. I gassed up the coupe, and almost made it the three miles back home before the pump quit. So the car didn't go to the rod run.

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

6. tinsled

tinsled

I have a 6V Wallbro pump, looks like Marine FRB unit.
    The solenoid is working OK, but the rubber valve flaps and the squeeze box type diaphragm is dry rot, useless.
    Where can I get those rubber parts as spares?

Now I am using a simple 12V pump with additional 12V battery to run it, but the carbs are floating unless I manually shut off the pump every once in a while. Should there be a pressure switch to regulate the pump operation or am I simply using too big pipe size from the pump to the carbs? (I built a new piping, previous owner had stripped off original and lost the parts...)

7. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

All I need is a pump that will flow 6-8 psi. It won't be a Holley pump.

8. BoneTreat

BoneTreat

I have no issues with my Holley. I have 100 inline fuel pump, no squeaks or noises

9. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Call 520-877-3000 or email [email protected]
    Automotive Fuel Pumps: Call 419-838-5911

They are tough pumps, I used one as a lift pump on a Diesel pumping Vege Oil without an issue.
    Then I switched over straight waste engine oil, and drove 100k without an issue.

10. rjones35

rjones35

11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The Walbro FR pumps sure look nicer than the Aeromotive.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've used Mallory Racing pumps, with a fuel regulator.

1. The NOISE it made was rendered by a big rig mud flap: The perimeter is 1/2" thick, so I cut a 3" X 4" patch, and drilled holes and attached the 'patch' (bracket!) to the pump, then the chassis rail. Instant quiet. DO affix a separate ground!

2. Short life of the pump was caused by running full pressure to a regulator, lugging the pump down...I took the pump apart, and the brushes were worn down to the springs!
    Brushes are 1/4" square, maybe 5/8" long. NOT available! (typically Mallory)
    Called McMaster/Carr, I had found a brush that was almost the right thing, but 1/4" X 5/16" cross section.
    Length was 'copasetic', si when I got them, I shaved the 5/16" side down on my large disc sander.
    Radiator shop cleaned my tank, but NEVER HEARD of a 'fuel return bung'... (Shit! This was in 2005!!!)
    The other radiator shop said, "Oh yeah, 5/16" or 3/8"?" Ah, relief.
    Now, my fuel line goes to the Summit fuel pressure relief valve, and the secondary relief port is plumbed back to the tank, for a return line.
    Perfect circle, with the pressure relief just 'augmenting' the pressure, and the right pressure to the carb. Whew!

13. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^DITTO^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

14. I also have a Holley Red. I endorse them all day long. one question maybe a typo I don't get, I00 inline fuel pump? does this mean you have one hundred of them?

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aeromotives are great but a little expensive. But you get what you pay for... Any way you can put on a stock mechanical?

17. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

The only complaint I have about my Holley pump is it's the loudest thing on the car.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

18. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Running an Edelbrock pump on my Plymouth. Installed it about 3 years ago, after the "Mr. Gasket" POS pump failed. Fortunately that failure occurred in the garage. The Edelbrock pump has been working just fine.

19. My local hardware store stocks motor/generator brushes in a bulk box. Brushes come from Dorman so the quality is good. Saved many a old motor with them....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I ended up ordering a Carter P4070. It will be installed on my coupe that has a "B" engine with dual Carter-Webers.

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have had good luck with a Mallory 140gph and an Edelbrock. The Edelbrock is real quiet.