Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick steering wheel on ford columnn

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Chebby belair, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

I have seen some pics of early Ford and Mercury customs running 40 and 41 Buick steering wheels.

I like the look a lot and have scored a 41 Buick steering wheel to go into my mild 41 Ford convert.

41 Ford steering wheels attach with a key and taper. The Buick (and later GM) steering wheels attach with a spline.

Before I restore the steering wheel, can some one suggest how the Buick wheel is installed? I can either change the centre of the steering wheel (which I’d prefer to do before restoration) or change the steering shaft.

I’d heard a suggestion that there is a later Ford steering shaft that fits a 40/41 steering box that is splined for the GM wheel.

If anyone can provide further info/confirmation that would be greatly appreciated

Thanks all.

2. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cut a keyway in the GM wheel to match the Ford key. Taper is close enough.

Sent from my SM-G900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

My Dad's 39 Ford PU had a Buick wheel on it when we pulled it out of the garage where it sat since 1966. They had the shaft key out, and the wheel the wheel tightened down, scary, I guess they lived life on the edge back then.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I recall reading/seeing a thread detailing the replacement of a worm shaft from the later 'splined' mast shaft into the early box. Seems like it would have been from a Ford F100, 1953-1960.
    BUT, I was surprised to read that most passenger cars had the same innards in the steering boxes, and most parts interchanged. (Gemmer mainly; bearings, cones, etc.)
    This interchangeability was said to influence all the 'reversing', and retro-fitting of steering box parts previously passed over.
    A H.A.M.B. search netted nothing, as I couldn't come up with a key word!
    Anyway, the answer is 'in here somewhere'... Hopefully, some HAMBers will read this and respond.
    GOOD question, BTW... I also want the answer, instead of tearing into so many steering boxes!:eek:

5. I fit my keyed Merc accessory wheel to a splined column. I know that is going the opposite direction of what you are wanting to do, but the taper of the Merc wheel fit nice and tight over the splines of the gm column. I just cut a keyway in the top of the steering shaft and put it all together with a key. Over 10k trouble free miles with no signs of loosening or shifting. In your case, I would double check the wheel fits nice and tightly on the tapered steering shaft and assuming it does, cut a keyway in the steering wheel. Put in an appropriately sized key, tighten it down and away you go.

48bill likes this.
  6. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Thanks all, much appreciated.

Viva La HAMB!

7. 41fastback

41fastback

If you had a section of splined shaft, you could couple it to the Ford (welded professionally). People will cringe but it's been done.