Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lincoln Capri or 53-55 Mercury build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolbreeze1340, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Thanks for the good news. I have one '54 Lincoln Capri coupe here that was a sub-framed aborted project. Only bought it because it has a nicer body that the coupe I already had. Why was it an aborted project? Probably because of the sub-frame!!! Now I found another coupe that's nicer than either one I already have!! What am I to do? Anybody wanta' buy a sub-framed '54 Lincoln Capri?

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I might be interested in that subframed Capri if its all there.

3. Not quite all there. It has a SBC sitting in it and the front seat is missing. Bumpers, trim, glass is all there. Except for the frame, nothing has been cut. Pretty solid car, good floors, but does have rust in the typical front fender places. Was originally (not now) a yellow with black top car.

4. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

I rebuilt my 368 Lincoln and really liked the performance. Watch fuel pressure on the stock carb, they were touchy, too much and the seals/gaskets gave way. I still have an original Hilborn FI unit for this engine if anyone is interested.

5. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Found a guy that can supply a set of control arms so I'm going to move towards a custom set of control arms! I also got a line on another 52' Capri 2-door today, that I'm going to chase.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I wonder how close the 54 to 56 Merc and Fords are,parts for them are cheaper.

7. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

The Lincoln is stand alone, now of the Ford/Merc stuff works.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Latest Kanter Catalog came yesterday. $1,255 buys the complete front end rebuild kit. OUCH!!

9. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Just doing more research and I believe a complete swap could be done using late 50's ford and T-bird stuff! The ball joints seem to be the exact same design (except a slightly smaller tapered shaft) and it would also offer the ability to use Granada spindles, disc brake conversions, and a host of other goodies. The T-bird parts seem to be ALOT cheaper and more plentiful.

10. This is exciting info.

11. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Well, I talked to another guy and he says they are close to the same but the bolt pattern is a little off. He believes it would still be doable. I do have a line on a complete dropped spindle/ disk brake conversion but it uses factory ball joints.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I'm still determined to come up with a tubular control arms using a set of old ones as a pattern and modern balljoints.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Started some progress on this experiment. I have the 52' on the lift and getting ready to pull the doghouse on my "spare" 52 outside. The guy never came thru with the extra control arms/ spindles that he said he had so I be forced to pull them off my other car. I have done a lot of research on the power steering conversion and it seems like the borgerson set-up for a full size ford should work. I have a few more measurements to take and I need to confirm the spline cut on the pitman arm, if its the same as the Mercury and Ford there is no reason why it shouldn't work.
    If I can get this power steering thing addressed I'll work on updated control arms this fall, once I have JIG and the parts sourced it should be able to produce multiple sets.

14. I have a set, I thought you knew

15. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Carrera Shock Lincoln

Attached Files:

54LincCapri likes this.
  16. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

17. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana