Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Old I.H.factory soon history

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty1, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Had a summer job at IH in Rock Island a long long time ago

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

2. ...here's the truckloads of limestone/bricks, ...they're tearing up the foundation now...
    rf ih bldg comin down 062.jpg rf ih bldg comin down 063.jpg rf ih bldg comin down 068.jpg rf ih bldg comin down 067.jpg

3. ..the bldg is history,...
    rf ih bldg comin down 074.jpg rf ih bldg comin down 074.jpg rf ih bldg comin down 076.jpg rf ih bldg comin down 078.jpg

4. Looks really much better now :(

5. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Before the building was torn down, one of the reasons given for the demolition was that the building was in imminent danger of collapsing and that the shell was too deteriorated to save. After it was torn down, the local paper reported that it was much more difficult to tear it down, than was expected.

Makes me think of some work that was done at the manufacturing plant that I work at........The old outside fork lift ramp, (built in 1975), was going to be replaced in order to relocate it and make it smaller. The company engineer, (who at the time was a recent engineering college graduate), estimated that it would take 3 days to remove the old forklift ramp. It took almost 3 WEEKS!!!!! This was in about 2005.

There was so much rebar, steel reinforcement, and the footings were so deep that a M1A1 Abrams tank could have driven up that ramp. At the time that the old ramp was built, there wasn't a company engineer, and the Maintenance Dept. supervisor was in charge of building things........He liked to overbuild the equipment and facilities, so that they would last longer.

By the way, the largest forklifts to operate on both the old and new ramps have always had a maximum lift capacity of only 4000 lbs. Yeah......Not very big forklifts.

6. ...I miss the old building...
    37 coupe 5-10 009.jpg 47 ad rf 010.jpg

gggholson likes this.