Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mopar A body U joint question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oakmckinley, Aug 14, 2017.

1. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Hi all,

I have a...cough cough 1966 Valiant, I know it's a later year but help a girl out.
    Anyway, I replaced the drive shaft U joints and the straps on the differential end don't have the little "shoulders" that hold the caps in place? I've never seen that before? What's to prevent the caps from working themselves off and me from catastrophe?
    Perhaps they're just worn away after 50 yrs? I was driving this with no issues previously.

Any thoughts would be great!
    Thanks in advance!

2. are the "shoulders" made into the yoke?

3. oj

oj

Some have like a 'C' clip, the clip go in front of some cups and go in a machined groove in the rear of others.

4. You don't mean the straps?[​IMG]

May be OT, but I dig Valiants and Darts, I would take a Valiant over a lot of heaps here.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Yes those straps are what I'm talking about. On other vehicles there has been a lip to kinda hold the caps on? Or maybe the lip is on the yoke on the diff?
    Hmm I'm gonna crawl under there and take some pics. But it seemed like it wasn't seating in the yoke? Maybe there is a build up of muck in there?

6. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

If you need I can take a look when I get home, I have a Mopar small u-joint drive shaft stashed in the garage somewhere.

7. das858

das858

You will need to install the 2 extra c-clips that came with the new u-joint on the 2 u-joint caps that fit into the yoke those clips center the u -joint in the yoke and keep the caps from moving outward.

8. The u joint should look like this. as others have said, the "c" clips snap onto the caps in the grooves just past the black seals.
    How about a picture of your Valiant? I'm a huge early A body fan and have a '66 valiant also.
    215-0299.jpg

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Be sure to use new straps and bolts . Torqued to correct torque . If not you may experience a strange knocking sound from the driveshaft smacking the floor of the car .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Sorry for the delay in posting a follow up. Life happens yah know.

It was as das858 described. I needed to put the c clips on the insides of the bolt straps and that held everything in place.

I've put about 100 miles on and no issues!
    Thanks everyone for the replies!!

tfeverfred, Just Gary and clunker like this.