Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Came across this today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mgtstumpy, Aug 13, 2017.

1. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I received a call from a local HAMBER who stated that he had looked at a car locally, like my 46 Olds sedanette. He indicated that it was advertised on Facebook and in such poor condition that he passed on it. Anyway I called the seller and went over to see what condition it was in, never know when you might need some spares. Well talk about f*****, the only thing not rusted was the frame. Everything else was beyond salvage. The seller thought it was a 48 Olds so I corrected this error advising that it was a 1947 [Model 76]. The seller then stated that it was a good RR or project car. :eek::eek: Lots of luck selling it.

Anyway the thing that got my interest was that it was a factory RHD export car. I've never seen one before until now. A friend has a factory RHD 1946 export sedan and it's rare here. There was no data plate on this plate on RH door frame. Mine was on firewall as was friends car. This would be rarer and you could count on your hands how many came into the country back then. Local GM product was different and based on smaller model 66s, still with suicide rear doors. GM here produced a local [experimental] coupe however it never went into production. It sold on E-Bay the other year for a reasonable price, one of one!

It's a shame this wasn't in better condition as I would have bought it, even for yard art. Both front doors and roof were damaged apparently when it was removed from the farm and slung onto a trailer. Some people have no idea. o_O

20170813_105412.jpg

20170813_105135.jpg

20170813_105144.jpg

20170813_105150.jpg

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Wow! That doesn't look that bad from those pics. I've seen cars in much worse shape brought back to life by someone with the skills. Jim Sibley on here comes to mind. Are there other parts of the car that are much worse than these pics? Here in Hawaii that car would be considered rebuildable.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Emmachissit? pictures don't really tell the whole story as it doesnt look too bad there and its rare, if its cheap enough.....

4. prez

prez

What a shame rust + damage
    very cool rare car
    definitely buy it for barn/yard art

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

At first I thought the same, but it is really worse than the photos. Inner and outer rockers, doors, floor pans, even the header above the windscreen is rusted out. The panels where seams join, fenders and hood are toast. The latch panel on the underside of the hood even rusted off. The bars would need to be stripped as the chrome has lifted and rust has taken hold. The external sheet metal is very pitted from 70yrs exposure, goodness knows how many without paint. Price is $2.5K obo. I'd guess the seller got it for free and was flipping it ASAP for a quick buck. From my conversation with him, he obviously has no understanding of sheet metal repair and what would be involved in bringing it back to life. Even worse here on the HAMB have been given a new lease of life. I've got too much time and money invested in my 46 and don't want another project. I don't have that much time to finish it or funds to pay someone else to tackle it. It should have been saved years ago before it deteriorated. Still a few parts could be salvaged; rear window, frame, rear trailing arm suspension, bars and grill.

Bruce Fischer and loudbang like this.
  6. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

come on mgtstumpy were is your sence of adventure just find a old many door aussie sedan and go for it , if it was a 39 or 40 ford sloper id be asking for the number

7. Steering column has rusted and fallen to the wrong side of the car.

8. WOW .That's going to take a LOT of beer! LOL.Bruce.

J. A. Miller likes this.
  9. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very fixable looking to me...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

OahuEli and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. gene-koning

gene-koning

Fixable or not is in the eye of the beholder. There are a few things that are against it.
    1) Its in Australia.
    2) Its pretty expensive for its condition at $2500.
    3) Its right hand drive.
    4) It would require a lot of work, and a lot of parts, to bring it back, being a 2 door helps, but still...Gene

11. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

has some good points.
    1. its in Australia
    2. its right hand drive
    its probably worth 1k for prts? would require a lot of work but there is a 4 door for sale at the moment too :)

koolkemp and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. If it helps I have a 1946 -48 Olds part...........er maybe not.......lol..........when I was doing up my 1940 Dodge in the early 70's I found a dumped, complete 46-48 Olds sedan in Alexandria an inner city suburb of Sydney, after finding that its inside front windscreen surround was rust free I remove it, measured it up & gave it a 2-3" chop and narrow job then had it chrome plated and I still get loving looks from fellow 40-48 Oz mopar owners at how nice my inside window surround is........don't think the Olds is still there tho'..........the chrome still looks nice 40 odd yrs later, think it was a local bodied car as the surround doesn't have any demister vents stamped into it which I think most US cars had by then..........andyd

Attached Files:

OahuEli likes this.