Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features From New Zealand to the Hot Rod Hill Climb

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1932tub, Jul 29, 2017.

1. 1932tub

1932tub

Hi
    We are going to the Hot Rod Hill Climb this year, going to the Goodguys Colorado the week before.
    We will probably go up to Mt Rushmore in between, just wondering what to see on the way, what car related things there are in the area. All suggestions welcome. After the event we will go up through
    Salt Lake City and back to San Francisco to fly home.
    Would like to meet other Hambers at the hillclimb. Is there a get together?
    Thanks in advance.

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

While in Colorado check out the Cussler museum in Arvada, lots of cool cars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  3. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'll be up at the Hillclimb. Pretty much everyone is or has been on the HAMB that brings cars to the Hillclimb. I'll have my '40 sedan. See you there!

4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I live near Mt Rushmore , If you have time to look at some junk in South Dakota.

5. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I don't remember there being a HAMB get together. The entire weekend is like a reunion (with people you actually enjoy seeing).

There is an old silver cave and train ride near Georgetown that is worth seeing and since you are this close, go up Pikes Peak. The entire area is beautiful.

6. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

I will be there, bringing the '28 RPU with me too

7. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Nice ! enjoy your trip!

8. redo32

redo32

You've got time to drive over to Lincoln to see Speedy Bill's museum. There is a Pike's Peak Hill climb museum too.

tractorguy likes this.
  9. brady1929

brady1929

Have a safe trip.

10. Depending on when you get to South Dakota - am planning on being there at the family ranch in mid August to sometime in September . . . maybe we can meetup for a pint or three and I can help you see some of the Black Hills. If you're going to see Mt. Rushmore (which is worth seeing), there is a LOT to see in the surrounding Black Hills area. Also, try to see the "night lighting" ceremony for Mt. Rushmore -- I believe they will be doing it when you arrive and it is definitely worth seeing. Feel free to PM me . . . always happy to meet some Kiwi mates from across to big pond. Cheers!

11. nailed31

nailed31

There is a Carol Shelby museum in Boulder CO. If you're here during the first Saturday of the month, the Golden cruise night is huge! Easily 1500-2000 cars cruising through town. It's like a rolling car show. Enjoy your time here!

"Just because you can put tap shoes on an elephant doesn't mean it can dance!"

12. nailed31

nailed31

FYI: since you're coming from sea level, give yourself plenty of time (at least two days) to acclimate to the altitude. It helps if you eat red meat, drink a ton of water and take extra iron. Every flat lander who just goes straight to the mountains gets sick. The good thing is you'll be able to out drink your buddies when you get home!

"Just because you can put tap shoes on an elephant doesn't mean it can dance!"

1932tub likes this.
  13. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Welcome to the United States. Sounds like you are going yo have a great trip. Hill climb will be a blast.

1932tub likes this.
  14. tractorguy

tractorguy

We really liked Deadwood SD when we visited Mt. Rushmore. Lots of great history in the downtown museum. Whats not to like about cowboys.....outlaws.......trains......gambling......gold mining......gunfights......wild women !!!

1932tub likes this.
  15. 1932tub

1932tub

Thanks everyone for the kind replies, I didn't realise that there was so much to see in the area. Now we just have to see how we can fit it all in. I will PM the guys in the area who posted for a catch up. Thanks again.

16. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

You'll run your legs off seeing stuff. For wiiide open spaces, there's a lot to see.
    One of the things you'll notice is distance. That's why the American cars are different from the European cars.
    "Arrive refreshed without bleeding kidneys in a Packard", should have been their ad.

17. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

No official HAMB get together, but tons of us will be in Central City for the event.
    I've only missed 1 year. They're all a blast.
    Seeya there!
    [​IMG]

Singlefinger Speed Shop,
    still lurking around Detroit

waxhead and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. I remember a real nice bar on the mainstreet in Deadwood with antique guns hanging all over the place. Just exploring the Black Hills and the small towns is fun.

19. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Ll

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. FANTM58

FANTM58

Depending on when you will be in town, try to attend the Golden cruise.
    It's the 1st Saturday of every month in Golden, Co
    Search Golden super cruise
    I'll see you on the hill !!

21. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you drive through Omaha I have cold beer for you.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

1932tub likes this.
  22. I will be there with my 3 window deuce. It's Washington blue and going up the hill this year Mike tells me.....Yupee!!!!!!

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  23. 1932tub

1932tub

We are in Loveland and have just done the Colorado Nationals.
    We have been on the Cog Railway to the top of Pikes Peak
    Nailed 31, I could see what you mean by the effect of altitude up there! Not so bad in Denver. Had a few at the Fat Tyre Brewery to keep the liquids up. On our way to Mt Rushmore this morning
    See you at the Hillclimb.

24. This will be my first time making it to the Hillclimb. Looking forward to it!

25. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Theres also the Fourney museum in Denver as well. I think the current rotating display is lowriders (may or may not be your bag)
    I'll be at the hill climb Saturday with my unibody pickup