Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 pontiac Chieftain 287 Trico vacuum question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jim Lato, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

i got the jar and all that jazz, i have been having a hell of a time finding diagrams for vacuum line routing, i got the 287, 2 barrel carter, i have fought and fought these wipers and i just dont want to spend the money "yet" on electric upgrade. kind of want to keep my car original. any one know how to route from fuel pump to jar to carb to wiper to switch to blah blah blah??? i been trying all kinds of routes from different vehicle diagrams i find but no avail. also rebuilt the wiper.... now im reaching out wondering if someone has a good detailed photo i can copy? or anything at this point... all im using is rain x to get through rain storms.... lol

sorry if this is the wrong place to post?

Jim

2. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

[​IMG]

4. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

[​IMG]

5. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

[​IMG]. This is obviously a really bad pic of the trico washer motor, but I'm at work.. I can get a better one but hopefully this helps

6. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

washer-jar-lid.jpg

not my jar, but this is what i got at home. to give a better idea

7. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

anyone out there? nobody ever had this problem???

8. rjones35

rjones35

no idea, but google search found this. Don't know if it's the same as yours or not, looks close

[​IMG]

Jim Lato likes this.
  9. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya man it's like finding the cure for cancer finding this info, I checked that out too

10. rjones35

rjones35

Tried this one?

[​IMG]

11. I'd skip the jar and run pump,to,wiper motor. If you have the correct pump for that application. Who,needs the washers.

12. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Yes I printed that one off today

13. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya I'm gonna skip the jar for now I just wanna get her going but if I got it going good then id tackle the jar cause it's kinda cool

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with 325. Vacuum from engine to the in on the fuel pump then fuel pump to wiper motor.
    To help the wiper motor out. Stick a hose on it that's in a jar having Either brake fluid or marvel mystery oil, work the wipers back and forth by hand, sucking up the liquid, let it sit for a while, connect the hose to the intake and start the car. It will smoke.
    The wipers should work better since the leather wipers in the wiper motor will be softened up. Then put the hoses back correct using the fuel pump in the circuit.
    The fuel pump kept the wipers working during acceleration...50's Ford guys do this all the time.

15. BJR

BJR

Start your engine and put a finger over the two open ports on the fuel pump to find out which one sucks in. The one that sucks goes to the wiper motor and the other one goes to the intake manifold. I don't think you have the correct wiper motor for that washer jar. If your jar is like the one you pictured, that one times the water pulses with the wiper blades. Your wiper motor doesn't have that feature on it. You need the basic vacuum jar, with just one port on it that goes to the push button on the switch, from switch to engine vacuum or Ted into the vacuum line from the fuel pump.

16. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I see I see, I have learned a ton just by you fellas, thank you for giving me some pointers, I'll try these things and see if I can get it working, I kind of had the jar for looks and was hoping maybe once I have the system working to use it, does anyone know what the basic model unit looks like?

17. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I think this vacuum topic is a massive thing that is lightly covered online, I mean there are so many applications and variations, so for the guys that was stock stock.. is nice to figure out this puzzle but someday when I decide I need wipers that bad I'll update to an electronic unit. But I do appreciate the input guys.

18. BJR

BJR

here is a picture from one on eBay now. One port for vacuum from the switch, one port for water to the windshield squirters. s-l1600.jpg

19. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Simple simple.

20. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I ought to put mine up, make a dime and buy either a cool upgrade or simply replace

21. Janius

Janius
    from New Jersey

50 years ago J.C. Whitney sold small electric vacuum pumps to keep the wipers going when you step on the gas. I wonder if there are any around? Or maybe someone makes one today? Would have to be 6 volt of course.

22. BJR

BJR

I have driven lots of cars with vacuum wipers. I love the sound of them when they are working. (I have 2 cars with them now) With the fuel pump vacuum pump working and a vacuum can for reserve, they can work very well and safely. Just no intermittent function.

23. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I must find this part!! Help me out here guys! And ya I loved the sound of it when I heard it in this 48 chev I rode in! Cool you said that, I wonder janius what that part is called???

24. Bishop Schulz

Bishop Schulz

KoolKat-57 likes this.