Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Just bought a Buick and need shipping/storage advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fabber McGee, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I'm pretty pleased this morning, I just won the auction of a 57 Buick Century 4 door hardtop on ebay. less than 25,000 miles, new paint and chrome in 2005, new leather interior in 2006. Looks really immaculate, hope it is. Planning on a few mild custom touches for now and just enjoying cruisin' it around. Have some ideas for major custom work, but this may be just too nice a car to cut up. We'll see.
    s-l1600 (Small).jpg
    Anyway, I'm in Alaska, I need to get it home and don't have time right now to go get it. I'm looking for advice on shippers to take it from New Hampshire to a buddy's place in Spokane Washington, or put it in a storage yard where it is until I can go after it. Car is located in the Concord/Manchester area. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

kidcampbell71, mgtstumpy and oldsjoe like this.
  2. My son had his car shipped recently. Can't remember who did the work, but basically he posted on line what he needed and prospective haulers check out the details and take the job. He has actually done this twice without problem.

3. belair

belair

There are some very good car haulers here on the HAMB. Use the Hambodex to find them.

Bill's Auto Works and tractorguy like this.
  4. NICE SCORE!!!!! Good luck with her when you get her.Bruce.

5. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Nope, don't care too much about the mechanical condition. Previous owner is deceased and the seller (a friend of his) made it sound like it was the guy's pride and joy and has been garaged more than 20 years. The body and interior were my main concern. If the mileage is correct, the suspension is probably okay and the rear end, transmission and brakes will be updated at the first sign of a problem. Transmission slips in drive, but low and reverse are okay. If that's not a simple problem, it will get a TH400 right away. Of course, with torque tube drive, it will also get a 9" rear (just because I have several). Would be nice to keep the engine, but a 455 would be nice too. Not worried.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    belair likes this.
  6. If someone is coming this way with a trailer I can get it up to my retirement villa and it can sit in my shop for a while no charge. I wish I could be more help than that.

czuch and oldsjoe like this.
  7. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Thanks Beaner, I'll keep that in mind. Retirement Villa would be in MO?

8. Gerrys

Gerrys

Had a 57 century like that in high school 364ci Not fast off the line but will top 110 on open road.

9. A little off topic, don't you think?

JKralovich likes this.
  10. Yep North Central. I could keep it here but up there it would be kept indoors and more secure. Your call whatever works for you.

oldsjoe likes this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

Do a search on the HAMB regarding shipping, and you will find many stories about guys who hired those cut rate shippers. You will never know where your car is or when it will arrive. Could be left in Timbuktu at the back side of some open lot until the next low bidder comes through town.

Only hire a reputable company.

12. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

13. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Go check the alliance vender list, there's 2 or 3, if you're an alliance member you get a discount.

14. The hamb has several reliable haulers. HRP

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep since you aren't in a rush one of the Hamb haulers is probably your best bet. Also it's pretty much a straight shot across the country on 90 from the east cost to Spokane That helps with logistics. No going several hundred miles out of the way to drop it off and even on a convoy truck it should ride on the same truck the whole way.

16. Concotd, NH to Spokane, WA is 2800 miles minimum.

It is not a direct trip.

If you won this on ebay - you probably received numerous computer generated quotes from Uship.

You might try posting under " Wanted " in the Classifieds to try and find a HAMBer possibly headed your way with a trailer who is looking to haul something rather than go empty - there is also the HAMB Relays Group which would see more success if more people used it ....

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/social-forums/hamb-relays.183/

Good Luck !

Jim

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Thanks for the advice guys, and thank you Beaner for the generous offer of storage. The deal is done, paperwork is signed off and on it's way to me. I've hired Bills Auto Works to move the car from New Hampshire to my sister's place in California and I will go get it there when time allows. The seller is keeping the car in his garage a few weeks until Bill can get there to pick it up.
    My dad passed away this spring and his 31 A wide bed pickup will be going from Alaska to my nephew in California. Nephew said he'd pay Bill for moving the Buick to California if I'd trailer the Model A to him when I come after the Buick. Looks like it's all working out fine, at this point. Another fine ending thanks to the HAMB. Thanks again fellas.

18. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Sure looks nice in the pics!

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  20. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  21. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Bitchin car! If you care about the paint and condition of the outside, I'd ship it in an enclosed trailer.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  22. bantam

bantam

Bill's Auto Works is awesome. Good choice on a shipper!

Bill's Auto Works and gggholson like this.
  23. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Thanks guys. Bill does seem like a really good guy. Plus, I asked the first 3 shippers I found in the HAMB-o-dex for quotes and he was the only one to respond. I'm too nervous about what might happen to use John Q Average off the street, just because he happens to be going my way empty. It might work out fine, and I may never hear from him or the car again.
    I see in the pictures that the car is missing the deck lid gasket and at least one door gasket. So, along with concerns about the paint, that means it definitely needs enclosed transport. Anyone know of a good source for quality rubber parts at a reasonable price?

Who are you guys using for insurance and what makes the company you chose better than others?

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  24. Fabber Mcgee.After State farm Insurance dropped me because my 56 Chrysler still had its original paint.{Even though I told them I was going to repaint it , they still didn't care and dropped me after 20 years with them} I am going to go with Haggerty. Heres a before and after picture of the Chrysler.Bruce. BEFORE 006.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Heres after and Haggerty are cheaper than State Farm. They can kiss my butt. LOL. Bruce. 001.JPG

Gman0046 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Does Bill's have an enclosed trailer!

27. Too bad it's leaving my state of New Hampshire but looks like it'll have a good home in Alaska! Good luck with the car!

28. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Dynaflows all slip in Dr. If you do go with TH400, get one out of a 65-66 buick with nailhead. Simple to bolt to Nailhead, just need adapter for torque converter hub. As far as rear suspension, find a 60-72 Chevy truck with trailing arm suspension and adapt that to the Buick.

29. I might have a set of skirts for it.

30. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Yes, Bill does have an enclosed trailer.

That whole post about mechanical condition came about because someone asked if I'd had the car inspected before I bid. Someone has removed that question from the thread, whether it was the guy that posted it or not, I don't know.
    The previous owner of the car is deceased, the guy that sold it for the family has only driven it from their house to his and said he did it in low gear because drive is slipping. From what I've read about the Dyna-flow transmissions, it may be just fine. When I do finally drive it, how will I know how much slipping is normal and what is too much? Perhaps, I should pull the pan and see how much friction material and metal is in the bottom. What modern oil should I use? Thanks for the advice on the 65-66 transmission and pickup suspension.