Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55' Ford Customline Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8x0x5, Aug 8, 2017.

1. 8x0x5

8x0x5

What's up everyone, figured I'd start a build thread on my 55' customline while I figure out a game plan for my 56' that I'm not sure about yet. Anyways, I bought this 55' 2 door post Ford in Washington sight unseen, called the guy up off of Craigslist, asked a couple questions (not enough) and sent a shipper out to pick her up the next day. These pics are from the Craigslist ad.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 8x0x5

8x0x5

Here she is the first time I saw her.
    The driver lifted her up in the air so I could check out underneath. Found a couple small spots of rust, but nothing to worry about. This is easily the nicest looking pre 60's car that I've most likely owned. I don't plan on going crazy here, I like my builds simple and clean. This one will be as low as I can comfortably and safely make it. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. 8x0x5

8x0x5

After starting her up to drive her off the trailer, I noticed that the stock 272 y block with a 4 barrel edelbrock, did not enjoy idling. The PO said it ran great and drove it daily (loling at myself). Well after messing with the idle circuits and what not, finally got it running decently and decided to go for a cruise. Make it about 45 miles and stop for about an hour. Jump back in, make it another 20 miles and of course, she dies on me and won't start back up. Well after a dead 6 volt battery from starting attempts, and a couple pissed off buddies to come rescue me, I finally getting it going after it cooled down.

The next day I tore into this thing. She wouldn't idle for shit but cruised perfectly. I'm a big Holley fan, so any excuse to ditch this edelbrock was fine with me. The symptoms of this idling issue kept seeming to be fueled by a vacuum leak.. only problem is that there are only a few different vacuum possibilities on these old fords... windshield wipers, vacuum advance, and intake gaskets...(for the most part).. well I went all in and replaced intake gaskets and bypassed the windshields wipers out of a simple curiosity.. all though my problem got better, it was not fully gone and still idled like hell and died when hot... I have a freshly built 292 sitting in my backyard waiting to go into my 56' post car that I have patiently let sit for quite some time. Just waiting on a new shop to go through so I can really tear her apart. Anyways, I found the vacuum advance on the 55's disi was a little loose and not removable so I swapped my 56's electronic ignition for my 55's perfronix, and bam, problem solved!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

OahuEli and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. 8x0x5

8x0x5

Keep in mind I have only had this car for about a week and a half or two weeks. This car is my daily driver/project. I've got my 86' Harley FXR as a my backup ride/part getter if something goes wrong with this pile. Anyways, about 3 days in while I was chasing vacuum leaks, I decided to lower this thing and make her sit pretty. I ordered 4" drop blocks for the rear and Aerostar coils for the front with 2" drop a arm spacers from "butchs cool stuff". Once the 4" drop blocks got in, I got very worried about axle-body clearance and stole the 2" blocks from my 56'... I didn't think I'd have so much clearance. Really kicking myself for not going with the 4"... I will be redoing this swap very soon. I haven't installed the Aerostar springs or drop blocks up front yet. Those should be here within the next 12 hours. Also forgot to add that I put on some new firestone bias ply 670r15 3-1/4" wide white walls after the drop... I have never been so frustrated trying to get rear wheels off. Would've been near impossible with the 4" blocks...

She has been running amazing, aside from getting a little hot in this warm California weather. She handles the freeways fine, just doesn't like sitting for too long in the sun. I have ordered a new aluminum radiator for her. Hopefully that does the trick for now.

Here's some pics of how she sits now. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. 8x0x5

8x0x5

Just looking at how high she sits in front bothers the hell out of me with the wide whites on. Can't wait for her to be sitting better and cover up the top of that tire.

I am making the move to 12v electrical and junking the 6v even though I have gotten it to be pretty reliable, I hate the roadside possibilities of 6 volt.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

well done very cool car...also lucky with a 56 as well....
    i have a 56 victoria and just love cruising in it

7. cretin

cretin

Looks like a great candidate for a mild custom. The tires are already an improvement, will look great when the stance is adjusted.

8. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Looks great! Nice car. Are you gonna leave the wheels like that? They look great as is BTW against the whitewall and white car. Otherwise I like full caps too. Good luck. I'll be following along!

9. 8x0x5

8x0x5

So I had original hubcaps on but took them off to install speed disc.. only problem is they didn't look good without the front being lowered in my opinion and I dented the hell out of two of them getting them on lol so we'll see. Here's a real shit picture with the speed disc. [​IMG]

10. 8x0x5

8x0x5

I agree, it will most likely be nosed and de-trimmed. I like the mainline trim a lot better than the customline.

11. 8x0x5

8x0x5

Thanks! Here's my 56... big project [​IMG]

Hdonlybob likes this.
  12. 8x0x5

8x0x5

Installed the Aerostar springs today. Closer to what I want but not there yet, still waiting on Butch's kit to space out the a-arms for another 2" drop. That will at least put the front end where I want it. Hopefully with the rear down 2 more inches it will sit more of how I'd like so I can start tearing into other things. But overall I'm happy with the way it's going.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

14. I own a '55 Fairlane 4 door that my parents bought new, but I like the looks of the Customline trim better than the Fairlane. I like the simplicity of the straight chrome spear down the side. With the 272 V8, Mainlines and Customlines got a crossover pipe and single exhaust. All V8 cars with Fairlane trim got factory duals. If you find a Mainline with V8 and factory duals, it's probably an old cop car.

8x0x5 likes this.
  15. 8x0x5

8x0x5

Wish it had factory duals. I've got some redman headers waiting to go on it.. just need to figure out the back half of it before I tear down.

16. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Looks good.

8x0x5 likes this.
  17. 8x0x5

8x0x5

18. 8x0x5

8x0x5

19. That's a real nice '55, have fun with it. I drive a '59 Custom 300 myself.

8x0x5 likes this.
  20. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Very nice. Enjoy it. Our family car was a 55' Customline, 2dr. post, 223 six with a three speed. I learned how to drive in that old Ford.

8x0x5 likes this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - nice ride - looks better without the speed discs - when you go to the 4" blocks be sure to look at drive shaft clearance too - many customs that need to remove/install rear tires have to remove blocks/sometimes undo one end of spring to get clearance

Texas57, slv63 and cretin like this.
  22. KKrod

KKrod

Couldn't tell what kind of rear shocks are on it but they kind of look like air shocks. I had air shocks on my 55 customline back in the 70's and early 80's. They eventually bent the rear crossmember where the shock mounts mounted. Thumbs up on your project. We preferred the front down and rear raised back in those days. Probably used to much pressure in the shocks over a time of about 4 years before the crossmember was damaged.
    Subscribed

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  23. e z i

e z i

Dang that's a nice ride! Ya done good.

24. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

25. I have Granada spindles with Aerostar springs up front and 3" blocks in the back on mine on worn out stock leaf springs. In my opinion you can't go much lower than that without making a change to the tunnel for the driveshaft clearance like Jalopy Joker stated. You have a nice ride and I am looking forward to seeing more updates! Subscribed.

8x0x5 likes this.
  26. 8x0x5

8x0x5

You have any pictures of that? How'd the Granada swap go?

27. That was one of the first things we did when we got started so those pictures are buried in my album under my profile. This link should get you to that page:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/albums/1955-ford-kustomline.32796/?page=11
    The Granada swap was fairly straight forward. You have to ream the lower mount for the ball joint to pass through. We reamed just enough to get the castle nut secured which allows for the maximum drop. We wound up having to remove the stock front bump stops after all of this to remove the bump steer.

28. Very nice build! I put 4" angled lowering blocks on my 55 Mainline but also slightly straightened the rear leafs and added air shocks. It is really low but does not bottom.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app