Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects back yard find 40 chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harley rider, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Król

Król

I'm going to try this with my 36 Chevy pickup petals. Thanks for the inspiration.

2. Leakie

Leakie

Looking good HR!

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Enjoying the pace, and your solutions for whatever problem arises.
    Good call on the Comp cam, will make H.P. and run smoothly. (I have a 290* Comp hydraulic cam, little 'lopey', but still have stock stall convertor/350 Turbo Hydro.
    Really like your engine detail, and the new headers.
    Sanitary...

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi HR.Sweet looking build.Please keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. harley rider

harley rider

thanks mike. sanitary is what I was goin for. thats why I hid the alternator . I wish I could hide the vac advance hose and the pcv hose. the cam is a Comp 292h, it is well past a little lopey. I think I posted a video of the engine running.

6. harley rider

harley rider

started running brake lines, and I needed a way to straighten the coiled brake line. I cut a 3/16x3/16 slot in a piece of oak then clamped it to a piece of plywood. clamped that in a vice then push the tubing thru .it doesn't come out arrow straight but close enough. I also needed a way to make a couple very tight bends.so I made a bender using some dowels and sockets. works better than either store bought bender I have and doesn't take three hands to operate. I found I could get as small as 1/2" radius without kinking the line.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. harley rider

harley rider

OK time for an update. got the brakes finished and bled. only had one flare I made leak' redid that, then one of the calipers leaked around the piston.got that all cleaned up and bled every thing seems to work properly. trying to get to where I can drive it under it's own power around the block. to see if everything works. still need to get my drive shaft cut down and a radiator. In the mean time I got the doors in primer and hung , tried to line them up. wasn't working. figured out that when I welded the rockers in place, that was a mistake. wouldn't allow the cab to move like it needed for the door to adjust. cut it apart and was able to get close. still need to fine tune a little. I have some bear claw latches I'm going to install sometime. this is the door handles that I'm using ,they will be easy to make work with the latches and cost a lot less .

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and kiwijeff like this.
  8. Leakie

Leakie

What are those door handles from?

Glad to see your still plugging away at the truck!

9. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

The S-10 also has a heavy duty rear (rare) and it fits nicely under the original frame, I have 10" daisy wheels and they do not rub at all. If you plan on changing the front end a rear steer Nova works well and fits the fender allowing for 6" wide 14 daisys. My old ride has over 100k on it and still going strong. Great Buy.

10. harley rider

harley rider

door handles are from hardware store.

11. harley rider

harley rider

you must have missed the M II front end I installed.

12. harley rider

harley rider

after a lot of time and swear words I finally got the doors lined up, it was time to get the bear claw latches installed. I'm wanting to drive it, figured I should have doors that stay closed. I've been thinkin about how to do this for a couple months.I am very pleased how they turned out. I will let the pics tell how I did it.

Attached Files:

13. harley rider

harley rider

time for an up date. spent the last month blasting all of the sheet metal . it was going to cost $1000 to get every thing stripped .so I bought a HF blaster and 12 bags of blasting media from menards . and built a temp. blasting booth in my shop. worked great. now time for some body work and paint. I have decided to paint it Hugger Orange.

Attached Files:

14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

seeing the first coats go on is an exciting time

15. harley rider

harley rider

It will be when I get there. still a long way from color

16. indyjps

indyjps

Great build, you're going right after it, orange is going to be just right.

See what you think of the 292h after you drive it a while. I ran one in the past. Had enough duration to be a pain in the ass, but not enough lift in my opinion.
    Great for making noise and I did run some pretty good times with it, switch to a dual pattern duration and more lift gave me better driveability and more power.

17. harley rider

harley rider

haven't driven it on the street yet. but it worked well when it was in my wife's drag car. I may change it later. I got this tunnel ram for it.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and indyjps like this.
  18. racer_dave

racer_dave