Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage road trip: rte 6 coast to coast.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Aug 10, 2017.

1. My buddy David is driving his model A roadster from p-town to long beach. keep an eye out for him if your along the route and if you know of reliable garages or "pit stops" along the way please post them. we installed a high compression head, checked all the fluids, new battery and tune up. then installed a trunk and running board rack for supplies. 800px-US_6_Provincetown_MA.JPG 1280px-US_6_map.png

2. heres the adventurer. 83 years young DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG

greaser, adam401, ct1932ford and 33 others like this.
  3. Holy cow!!! Braver than I am.

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

There are a few seedy areas in Northwest Indiana and Northeastern Illinois. Route 6 is not the choice road in those areas, IMHO. Best of Luck. When does the trip begin? Will we get play by play travel updates? Hope so.

5. flatford39

flatford39

Bravo...Bravo...Bravo. My heart is out for you. I am here to help you within a 150 mile radius of Chicago.

clem, triman62, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  6. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Send me a pm if you want my cell #.

7. yes brave guy. he is a writer, has his pilot license, and has raced horses......
    i will try to give updates as he checks in with me.
    this car is like the one he learned to drive in and he has wanted to do this trip for a while.
    thanks for knowing there will be "friendlys" along the way.

triman62, loudbang, wicarnut and 4 others like this.
  8. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

What is his cruising speed going to be-45 mph? How long to you expect it to take? Please post daily updates if possible. A guy did this several years ago with his wife and two kids in a '59 Chevy wagon and took pics and posted where they stopped along the way and it was pretty cool. Good luck.... :)

9. the car will cruise pretty well at 50 but he won't push it. because of doctor appointments he will be doing it in 4-6 week intervals. putting the car in storage and coming home. he has no set schedule just wants to enjoy the ride and see the sights.

10. after completing the section between provinctown and home here in western ct, he found he needed more space for supplies and a new set of front tires after hitting a pot hole that almost launched him through the roof. car was running hot and we found a clogged radiator and a cracked head. he also needed bigger rear view mirrors.

11. steeltappet

steeltappet
    from PA

Most of Rt 6 in PA is rural two lane highway that runs through small towns along the way with a few hills here and there. Outstanding autumn colors in the season.
    The drawback will be deer, and in some areas gas well truck traffic.
    We are a few miles outside of Mansfield, PA. Send a pm if you need a contact number.

12. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Oh man, this is going to be so cool. Been looking for someone going on a Road Trip to follow. And to do it in a Model A , Did I miss his age? Thanks .

triman62 and loudbang like this.
  13. Mikel50

Mikel50

This is fantastic. I can't wait to follow his journey if he is able to contact you throughout the trip.

Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

triman62 and loudbang like this.
  14. 83!
    funny side note: he wanted to leave last week but it turns out he is dead........dead according to his health insurance carrier..........his wife Dale passed away last winter and they crossed the paperwork up. so he has had no coverage........but his wife does:rolleyes:

15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does that mean if he marries himself, he could be insured again as a spouse? Just a thought, not a good one, but a thought.
    He is traveling too far south for me to be too much help but I wish him all the best in his adventure. I hope I can do this kind of stuff at his age.

16. wow....best wishes for finish in Cali.....following......

17. What a cool trip. I'll be watching for updates.
    Good luck!

18. I'm 49 and that guy has way more drive than I do. He rocks.

19. Król

Król

I'll be watching this also.

triman62 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I'll be watching also. A friend did just this several years ago also in a Model A, only modification he did was adapt a gear vendors overdrive so he could use the Interstates in certain areas.

triman62, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just finished driving a short section of US 6 out of Bishop, CA on the way to Montana. Plenty hot and didn't pass many other cars. When he does make it into Bishop he should check out the Laws railroad museum on the way into town. Bet of luck on the drive.

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

This is going to be a longie... I'm in. Gary

23. triman62 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  24. 2935ford

2935ford

All I can say is....... WOW!

triman62 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. Never too old to enjoy your youth. Godspeed.

triman62, tb33anda3rd and CapeCodBob like this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

Hey tb33,
    That trip is pretty hard on a normal car let alone a Model A. Going through the high elevations in Colorado did a number on our late model station wagon, but a 4 cylinder? Take plenty of extra gas and water. By the time Nevada rolls around, it is pretty desolate. Even on 395 in California, it is sparse as far as gas and water are concerned.

Since he can pick and choose the times of the year, definitely not in the winter and not in the summer as the heat will be the major enemy. That California 395 road splits just before Ridgecrest in the hot desert area, into Highway 14 through the rest of desert climate into Los Angeles and the coastline.

The other way down 395 takes you into San Bernardino Mountains into Riverside and Orange County. Both routes are very crowded, the LA freeways are always crowded, but a shorter distance to Long Beach.

Jnaki
    Wow, what a trip. On our cross country route in the middle of summer, we kept going on a southern route from Kansas City, through Denver and parts of Utah. It was tough on our car, but, much better for our travels. The Model A trip is a nice route, except for the inhospitable desert route through the toughest area in the USA. Please be safe.

27. atch

atch

He'll be 200 miles north of me when he goes through central Iowa (I'm in central Missouri), but if he should need something and no one closer can help have him call me (573 864-4007). I'll do whatever I can.

US 6 in Joliet, IL, runs about a mile south of the Collins Street Prison. Someone from the Chicago area can confirm/dispute this, but I believe that this is where the opening shot of the Blues Brothers film was shot.

He'll be going right past the Amana Colonies, which are worth a couple of hours of side trip. They are 2-3 miles north of US 6 and about 20 miles west of Iowa City.

Pioneer Village in Mendon, Nebraska is right on US 6.

US 6 passes through some of the most beautiful scenery in Colorado. It traverses the continental divide at Loveland Pass; 11,991 feet above sea level. I hope his "A" can make it over and his brakes don't fade on the way down into Dillon and Silverthorne. This will be one of the most memorable stretches he'll be on.

I imagine he knows everything I've mentioned herein, but j-i-c...

Best wishes to this adventurer.

Oh, yeah; I'm watching this thread so if you start another thread about his trip please put a link in here for us to find it.

28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Some nice scenery in Utah. Wishing him the best of luck on his journey.

triman62 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  29. thanks for all the tips and support. he will be monitoring this thread and planned to leave ct this weekend. he is determined to try it. if you spot the car please post here and say hello if you can.
    i wanted to start this thread to establish a network of "guardian angels". your all the best!