Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've read the HRM article on bearings also, and Tom is correct. That is a good and complete article on bearings and the application of all the different types.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  2. They are real small holes. .030 .045 and .060 so I didn't even try to make any. The drill bits need a 4 jaw chuck ;) They are supposed to be here on Wednesday which is really making this tight. Test and tune on Friday night so ...

Hang'emHigh and loudbang like this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I was afraid that was the size range you were dealing with, and that big ass lathe of mine won't spin nearly fast enough to utilize drill bits that small. Might get access to one elsewhere but in the time frame you're in, and the shape I'm in, not a realistic chance of getting it done.:(

Dog_Patch and Hang'emHigh like this.
  4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Hope it all works out Tony.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Thanks Mike! Are you close to the track up there?

loudbang likes this.
  6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

About 1 1/2 hours away. Pretty much our home track back when I was racing.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  7. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I Know they are busy but Josh and Joe both have small lathe and I know a certain fairy gave Joe a 4 jaw Chuck.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  8. Been following this on and off since beginning. Love these '39 Chrysler product Body styles. This one turned out extra cool.
    Trying to spread the word about our upcoming event to all interested parties.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Higgy's Henry, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  9. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

I made a second batch of them and Priority Shipped them. Tony got them today and is thrashing to get the engine together now.

10. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Now that's helping a brother out Nick!

Go Tony Go!

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Damn Tony, wish I was able, I'd come up and work all day while you went to work after you told me what you wanted done. That is if you trust an old fart. But damn this busted vertebra ain't too friendly to that:(

12. I honestly don't know if that's good or bad. Looks like smoke would have been coming from 6 and 8 the way I'm reading it. What is typically acceptable of leak down percentage?

loudbang and enloe like this.
  13. captmullette

captmullette

damn, that's space shuttle shit........gotta send my heads back to promaxx, paid $637. for a bad valve job, now got to have em welded up and new exhaust seats installed.............one foot in front of the other.....good luck

loudbang, Dog_Patch and enloe like this.
  14. savannahDan

savannahDan

From a Hot Rod mag article..."Even for normally aspirated engines, respectable leakage numbers would be anywhere from 8 to 12 percent with a variation between cylinders of 4 to 5 percent, but it’s possible the variation could be as high as 10 percent."

loudbang, Dog_Patch and allwilly like this.
  15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Seems that you are within the range OK'd in HRM article Sav. Dan has quoted. But I do wonder what's going on back on #6&#8. Did you find any bore size discrepancy or out of round in either of those cylinders?

Dog_Patch likes this.
  16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Couldn't spin that big lathe fast enough to have drilled those on it, but could prolly do it in the Bridgeport mill. Just have to drill and tap a hole in a piece of stock, screw the set screws in and drill after spotting holes.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Dog_Patch likes this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Are the ring lands still good on those pistons.......wonder if the leak down will fallow the piston if it was moved to a different hole.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  18. Those are pre start numbers. After a few passes I expect the 6 and 8 to get better. This thing was honed with the torque plate this time and Johnny says its really straight - it wasn't even much of an effect putting the torque plate on it. But we had to find out.
    Its back together but seems to be 180 out and I'm done for today. Loaded it up and will sort it at the track. No big deal.

IMG_5758.JPG
    IMG_5760.JPG

19. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

20. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Keep cutting it close it keeps you young ! Along with the harmonica ! Go Gittum !

Dog_Patch, loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'll be pulling for you Tony.

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Give Em Hell Tony :)

Dog_Patch, loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good Job!!!
    Have some fun for us in the choir.

Dog_Patch, 55belairx2 and loudbang like this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Saw a video late last night . Looked like the smoking problem is still there.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  25. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

I don't think those metering holes were drilled in a lathe. Not that it matters, but they look off center to me.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  26. Yep you are correct - still smoking. But less. Not dripping on the ground now. Yaaaaaayyyyyy

There is an I-Beam like structure under the dome and the exhaust side is narrower than the intake side. I think they set up the machine for the narrow side and drilled both - its not exact - but it didn't fix a damn thing either.

So we get to the track and the damn bugs were unbearable - taking quick and divisive action the Quick N Dirty mosquito fogger made several passes and cleared the entire pit area - the bugs saw heavy casualties.

After a brief sleep the only logical next step - flip the BBC rod bearings around to achieve zero or near zero rod side clearance. Jimmy Huff and Gabriel helped and we dropped the pan and swapped 4 rod bearings - one per journal - around. The side clearance was almost zero but not rubbing.

Racing started and its smoking less. Not stopped but less. It is still loading the plugs to where we needed to change the 4 passenger plugs each round. Planning to wear out the crank scrapper guys phone this week. That is a quick fix that I can try in my neighborhood and see if the plugs dry up.

At this point I'm still thinking for a long arm stroker like this the .043 .043 3mm ring pack is too light. Jimmy Huff and several other racers are using 1/16" 1/16" 3/16" (I think Skarelane also) so if the scrapper doesn't help then 4 pistons are heading to the machine shop for a groove cutting party.

So good to see Sonny Hall back out!
    IMG_4588.JPG IMG_4590.JPG IMG_4757.JPG IMG_4761.JPG IMG_4775.JPG IMG_4776.JPG

kiwijeff, jim snow, Floater03 and 8 others like this.
  27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Might be time to go to a Big Block Chevy :) I'm just saying....

28. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

He has Hemi fever,there is no cure.

kiwijeff, loudbang, saltflats and 2 others like this.