Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SINCLAIR Sign Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NY Delux, Aug 9, 2017.

1. NY Delux

NY Delux

IMG_5194.JPG IMG_5266.JPG Just throwing this out there! Any one got one of those six sides plastics Sinclair Signs from the 60's. I bough one with one side and no lights mounted in it. Does not look like lights were ever installed.
    Any one have any pics, bulb sizes, ballast size etc. Scoured the internet for info or pics and the local sign company wants way to much money.
    Thanks for any help!

2. carryallman

carryallman

probably hard to find a single side ? id just get a big piece of lexan and cut to fit & or have somebody cut you out a big decal ? or mount a led lite inside & mount up against your garage wall ?? good luck !

3. Gerrys

Gerrys

4. NY Delux

NY Delux

Single panels are hard to find, and when you do they want almost as much as a whole sign. I was going to hang on a pole but will put this one on the wall, so one panel will do. Thanks.

5. NY Delux

NY Delux

Your right Gerry, led lights are cheaper. But I was hoping to stay old school ( just like my hot rods!) and use fluorescent bulbs.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done this before, just go to home depot and a couple cheap a$$ florescent work lights and strip out the ballasts, starters and bulb retainers. Then mount it in your sign. 4 bulbs should be plenty.

7. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I've always wanted a Sinclair Dino!! Yeah I'm still a child

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Fluorescent sign lighting is a specialty, with odd-length lamps (and special ballasts to go with them) and different color spectrums. You'd be amazed at how many different lengths and colors are (or were) available for signs, display cases, and medical uses. All specialty items, and none available at retail (and not so easy to get even at the installer level), and not cheap. That's why the quote from the sign company was high....

If you decide to go with fluorescent and are mounting this outside (or anyplace that gets cold), make sure you get an outdoor-rated ballast or ballast/lamp life will be poor. You can get 'standard' fluorescent lamps in 2, 3, and 4 foot lengths relatively easy, but the shorter ones will cost more.

9. It will make a nice wall hanger and have a long, happy life inside. Outside, not so much, and it will gradually deteriorate. I would just cut a plywood backer, paint that white on the inside and mount the lights of your choice. I wouldn't be so quick to discount LEDs. They cost pennies to operate and are the lowest maintenance. You can turn 'em on and forgo the guilt. They would be on the inside and no one will ever know that they're "OT tech". I still have a couple of fluorescent fixtures in my home and I'm sick to death with having to change bulbs every so often (too often).

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cool piece, not sure how you will like the imperfections after they are hi lighted when its lit up.
    Maybe???

11. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

i have several friends that work ar sign shops. you can't beat the cost ans ease of new led technology. i agree about cutting a filler panel and flat mounting it.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app