Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The journey of our 98" Slingshot

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bjinatj, Aug 9, 2017.

1. bjinatj

bjinatj

Have you ever had a buddy that truly changed your life and way of thinking? A person that no matter what obstacle is thrown at them would fight to hell and back to find the good in it. Well that my friends is where this story begins. I have a very good friend that I have known for years, but it wasn't until a recent turn of events that I really got to know him. One day while taking a ride and hanging out he mentioned how he always wished he'd had the chance to take a 98" slingshot down the track.

I decided that day was going to come. Here are the pictures of Butch, a few friends of ours and our 4 month journey..

[​IMG]
    The above is a photograph that hung in Butch's business for many years. That looked like a good enough start to me.

[​IMG]
    After purchasing tubing, a mandrel bender and dies Butch, Dale Holden and I got started. Here Butch and Dale are marking out the wheelbase that he would like to run. Dale was nice enough to Donate a narrowed 31 spline 9" that he wasn't using.

[​IMG]
    Shown above is a Ford F100 steering box that has been modified to allow for cowl steering. That box was donated by the Road Kings C.C. for the build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Butch found this Clifford 6=8 intake and matching carbs on the net. He had to have them. I think they made a great addition personally. The Mark Williams coupler was donated by Rick Hayes of the Road Kings C.C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I found a used shortglide transmission about 3 hours away with guards and transbrake. A 32oo stall convertor was donated by Jon's Transmission Service of Alexandria, In.

[​IMG]
    This beauty was donated by Jim Hayes of Elwood, Indiana. It was a 25+ year old dirt track motor built by Hamilton Performance Engines in Lake Station, Indiana. Notice the intake ports are no longer Siamese. That isn't the correct crank either. ;)

[​IMG]
    With the addition of a starter, flywheel, truck HEI, coil, pertronix unit, rev limiter and fresh coat of paint she's ready to roll. This was all donated by Jim Hayes of Elwood, Indiana.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. bjinatj

bjinatj

[​IMG]
    This front axle and spring were both donated by Dave Kinnaman of Moonville, Indiana.

[​IMG]
    Here I am fitting my newly fabricated front perch.

[​IMG]
    Time to start putting her together.

[​IMG]
    F100 box has been altered to allow for cowl steering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mid-plate fabricated by myself and ready to go in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yup, she's got the right look..

3. bjinatj

bjinatj

[​IMG]
    Building a seat..

[​IMG]
    Continued..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Butch admiring the work of himself and many like minded hot rodders.

[​IMG]
    Brake master cylinder mount being fabricated.

[​IMG]
    Mounts being fabricated to locate the rear axle.

4. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

That's awesome! The things we do for the friends we call family. Looks like y'all are well on your way to making a bad ass slingshot!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. bjinatj

bjinatj

[​IMG]
    Here I am building body panels..

[​IMG]
    Now the front cowl panel is being fabricated.

[​IMG]
    Dash panel fabricated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mike Hankley of Elwood, Indiana is fabricating a Chassis Research styled steering wheel.

[​IMG]
    Mike Hankley of Elwood, Indiana is fabricating a Chassis Research styled steering wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After a little playing we got a lot of needed help from members of the Road Kings C.C. in Kokomo, Indiana

[​IMG]
    After a little playing we got a lot of needed help from members of the Road Kings C.C.

6. bjinatj

bjinatj

Thanks, the vehicle is completed and tested. I'm just uploading pics an story now. Glad you like it :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    loudbang and graveyardsledder like this.
  7. bjinatj

bjinatj

[​IMG]
    Primer Dan from the Road Kings C.C. making motor sounds.
    [​IMG]
    Here I am working on the split steering shafts and mid mount. On a side note a 3/4" cutting board sandwiched between two 1/4" mounts works very well for a mid mount (not shown).

[​IMG]
    Ready for powdercoat.

[​IMG]
    Ready for powdercoat.

[​IMG]
    Ready for powdercoat.

[​IMG]
    Sitting on a pallet waiting to be powdercoated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hoovie from the Road Kings C.C. did a bang up job polishing the wheels. That must have taken all day. Wow!

[​IMG]
    More help from the Road Kings C.C.

[​IMG]
    Sitting in front of my shop looking innocent..

[​IMG]
    Back from powdercoat at Lein Corp in Marion Indiana. One day turn around after telling them about our deadline.

[​IMG]
    Back from powdercoat at Lein Corp in Marion Indiana. One day turn around after telling them about our deadline.

[​IMG]

1947knuck, loudbang, Tudor and 4 others like this.
  8. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want to see how this one comes out Subscribed.

loudbang likes this.
  9. bjinatj

bjinatj

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Butch chilling with his dreamed up lady in waiting.

[​IMG]
    Road Kings C.C. and Road Toads C.C.

[​IMG]
    Assembly time..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rolled her outside the shop for a little air and pictures. I ended up having to bring it back in because of all the time I spent talking about it with random people. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dave Kinnaman and I loading her up to go fit the motor at Jim Hayes shop.

10. bjinatj

bjinatj

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pipes being built by Jim Hayes of Elwood, Indiana

11. Neat!

loudbang likes this.
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Just awesome! That's a great of guys.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

Lot's of grinning going on!

loudbang likes this.
  14. bjinatj

bjinatj

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The brake kit was donated by Dale Holden of Alexandria, Indiana and let me tell you they will stop her in a hurry.

[​IMG]
    Body panels just prior to being removed and sent to Dorn Restoration in New Castle, Indiana for a little House of Kolor action..
    [​IMG]
    A brass name plate that Butch had Danny Nelson of Kokomo, Indiana make for the car.

15. bjinatj

bjinatj

[​IMG]
    Rich Mickelson from the Road Kings C.C. striping the panels. The paint was completed by Doug Dorn from Dorn Restorations in New Castle, Indiana.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sitting around daydreaming about test & tune day that's coming soon. The look on Jims face was priceless.

[​IMG]
    Upholstery was donated by Murrays Body Shop in Tipton, Indiana. The work was completed by Jake Braun.

[​IMG]
    Butch with a U, not an I as he frequently says. LOL

[​IMG]
    The cars after a long day of working on it with Doug Lewe from the Road Kings C.C.

16. Wow- that is so cool!
    How about some technical details? Rearend gear ratio? Engine internals? You know- the geeky stuff.

17. jackalope

jackalope

And just like tv, you got it done in under a day
    Very cool and awesome to see so many involved to make it come to fruition! Great story!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good fake out with the 235/261 valve cover... Old guys who know won't buy into the Stovebolt but who cares...it's still way kool....good luck with it.

craig b blue, loudbang and bjinatj like this.
  19. bjinatj

bjinatj

[​IMG]
    Butch and Doug Lewe waiting for her to cool down after a pass at Bunker Hill Dragstrip in Indiana on test and tune night.

[​IMG]
    Rick Hayes and Primer Dan from the Road Kings C.C. chatting with Butch after a run down the track at Bunker Hill Dragstrip.

[​IMG]
    Team Agitator on the Road Kings C.C. event "Battle at the Hill" June 30th 2017 hosted by Bunker Hill Dragstrip in Kokomo, Indiana.

[​IMG]
    Butch waiting to take his first run down the track at the Road Kings C.C. event "Battle at the Hill" June 30th 2017 hosted by Bunker Hill Dragstrip in Kokomo, Indiana. Not a worry in the world..

[​IMG]
    Butch looking determined as he waits for his turn in the lanes.

[​IMG]
    Butch and myself coming back in the return lane.

[​IMG]
    Butch and myself coming back in the return lane.

[​IMG]
    Butch lined up and ready to go for his second lap down the track.

[​IMG]
    Here is a picture of Butch making his maiden voyage.

20. bjinatj

bjinatj

Now for the fun part..

Jim Hayes and Fuzz from Elwood, Indiana getting the motor up and running correctly (playing with it).

Members of the Road Kings C.C. coming over to Jim Hayes shop to check on the engine (playing with it).

Here is a video of myself and Chad Hayes leaving a local car in Elwood, Indiana. The skins are off being painted at the moment.

GoPro action

GoPro action

21. bjinatj

bjinatj

Butch,

After getting to know you and hearing your remarkable life story I am just blown away. The stories of being a blacksmith in a Chrysler casting plant for 30 years all while running a gym, fighting in foreign wars, training for Mr. America, winning Mr. America, and building all of those beautiful cars are truly amazing. It all makes a bunch of guys building a dragster for a fellow C.C. member seem like small potatoes. My hats off to ya brother, you will always be someone I look up to.

Your friend,
    -Ronnie Perrin

22. TheTireGuy

TheTireGuy
    from Indiana

This is another great story about a truly awesome group of guys. My son Seth actually belongs to the Road Kings and I can't say enough positives about these men. Ronnie and friends, thanks for putting this together for Butch. Seth has told me about several things that all of you have done and this one is very special. I couldn't ask for better people for Seth to look to as friends. Sincerely, Aaron Beaty

loudbang likes this.
  23. bjinatj

bjinatj

The rear end is a 3.73:1 locked 9", 2 speed shortglide with 32oo stall and transbrake, but the engine internals were kind of a mystery as the gentleman that built the engine for his sons dirt track car is unfortunately no longer with us. We don't have a scope so once we open her up for the first gasket replace we will know more. Nothing looks remotely stock on the bottom end. :)

loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  24. bjinatj

bjinatj

Seth is a good kid, were lucky to have him..

loudbang likes this.
  25. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

I need like 8 of them... Have fun and be safe

loudbang likes this.
  26. bjinatj

bjinatj

I heard ya there. I am very ready to build another one just to race them.

loudbang likes this.
  27. bjinatj

bjinatj

Just for icing on the cake Gene Winfield was at my shop the weekend before the Battle at the Hill event doing a metalshaping workshop. Gene made us get it out so we could drive it. What a great time that was ice skating on city streets. lol.

[​IMG]
    Gene Winfield, Jim Hayes and I in Jims shop going over the build with him.

[​IMG]
    Jim Hayes, Gene Winfield, Myself and Dave Kinnaman.

Every day's a school day..
    -Gene Winfield

28. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

How cool is this thread? Pretty dog on cool I would have to say.

Great looking race car. Better looking group of friends.

29. bjinatj

bjinatj

RIP
    Butch Fairchild
    Jan 18 1944 - August 22, 2017

loudbang likes this.
  30. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

May your friend rest in peace......You have done a awesome thing here. I just found this thread and did not expect this ending.....

loudbang and Tudor like this.