Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Another "What is it"? part Lincoln guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fryguy, Aug 9, 2017.

1. fryguy

fryguy

Posting another "What is it" ? mystery part thread. This one I do not know the answer to so I am hoping my 36-48 Lincoln Hambers can help. These parts came in a box of 36-48 Lincoln parts I bought. This part lookings like a locking mechanism of some sort which a pull out knob made of stainless and takes a key. It also has a ignition solenoid similar to the ones found on the early ford locking column drop with ignition key. It looks to be made of cast iron and has that Lincoln Maroon color that's found on the 46-48 Lincoln steering wheels, door buttons and other misc dash pieces. It has a tube like extension that has a movable locking arm or tongue. Is it an dealer option piece like a steering lock or convertible top lock? Any ideas of what it could be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. Well,,,I'll be the first,,,where's the picture ?

3. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

yeah, it's one of those alright

4. BJR

BJR

That sir is a dohicky, most think it's a whachmacallit, or a do dad, but it's defiantly a dohicky. Not to be confused with a thingamajig.

5. fryguy

fryguy

A dohicky is just a less expensive thingamajig. Being this is probably a Lincoln part I wouldn't think they would use Dohickies, would they?

BJR likes this.
  6. BJR

BJR

You are correct, my bad, the dohicky was the Ford version, thingamajig was the Lincoln version.

7. Mark T

Mark T

What's that number on the side? That may help in identifying it.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a locking muffler bearing...it definitely fits on a Henway.

9. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

It's the steering wheel lock/ignition switch. On a 1941 Lincoln (for example), the lock portion is hidden up under the dash, with just the ignition cylinder poking out the appropriate hole. Works the same as a Ford, but it's less visible and therefore more "elegant." Lucas