Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Chrysler Airflow: One tough car!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Wild Willy

Wild Willy

And, was Chrysler also planning to produce a Dodge or Plymouth Airflow model?

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Ive got a set of these on their way :D

3. Wild Willy

Wild Willy

I can remember buying an engine/overdrive transmission, front end and rear end from a hot rod builder in Wallingford, CT six or seven years ago out of a '34 Desoto Airflow SE. I bought it for the parts, but mainly for the aluminum head on the motor, the overdrive tranny, and one of the wheels was an original "artillery" wheel. Although I never saw the actual car (it was finished and shipped to owner by then) I always wondered where it went.

4. A Boner

A Boner

I rode in a restored stocker, very cool, but it felt like I was riding in a 3/4 ton truck!

5. Wild Willy

Wild Willy

I'm surprised, because most of the 'flows rode really smooth and comfortable, due to the passenger compartment being moved forward in relation to the wheelbase. Chrysler called it "Floating Ride", or "Boulavard Ride". The engine was over the front axle, front seat at middle, and rear seat ahead of the rear axle. The result was a much better distribution of weight. The longer leaf springs and knee shock absorbers helped smooth it out. Could have been bad springs or shocks in the car you rode in?

6. Aren't Airflows just beautiful? I think so.

7. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

This was released this year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]They hot rodded it but I think it is still kool!

Marty
    Marysville, OH

8. Pharouh

Pharouh

Don't forget the trucks! It would make a great car hauler.

Where have I heard that before?:eek:

[​IMG]

9. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Did the trucks have similar innovations as the passenger cars? Or were they just styled like the cars?

Marty
    Marysville, OH

10. Dad bought this '34 in '36 when the governor of Nebraska traded it in. It was a tough car, but the engine wasn't. Dad discovered why the governor dumped it. He couldn't keep rod bearings in it. Dad kept it less than a year, and traded it for a '36 Ford roadster.

[​IMG]

11. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I've always liked the Airflows, but can't help to wonder at the going-over-a-cliff-&-driving-away deal. Suppose it worked, -sorta- , but I'd *really* like to see a computer simulation of what happened to the folks inside. I don't think it'd be pretty. I know there were "safety" items inside, but while the car may have been able to drive away, I'm betting that no-one inside would've been doing the driving... :D . I'm surprised that no-one, esp GM, ever called them on that. Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black, but still...

Marcus...

12. jim galli

jim galli

The body framework was effectively a massive rollcage. I'm thinking Chrysler was smart enough to tip it over the cliff without people inside, then climb down and drive it away.:rolleyes:

13. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Cool old thread. Kind of inspiring as I look out the shop window at my 37 DeSoto airflow sedan, wondering how it would look if I ran it fenderless......

14. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

In 1935 they made 306 Chrysler Airflow coupes. It is estimated less than 30 are still around. My '35 at the Hollywood Bowl.
    lml-35.jpg

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

As I said before, every other car maker in America was scared shitless when they saw the Airflow. It made their latest models look like a second hand hearse with square wheels. General Motors put on a massive publicity campaign saying the Airflow was a failure, the all steel body was no good, the wooden framed body with steel panels tacked on, which was then featured on all GM cars, was much stronger etc. etc.

Chrysler responded by rolling an Airflow off a cliff and driving it away. I don't believe anyone was in the car, I think they pushed it off the cliff then the driver got in afterward. They also had a circus elephant stand on the roof of the car to prove its strength. Set speed records on the Bonneville salt flats, set gas mileage records thanks to the streamlined bodywork, etc. Nothing did any good, the GM bullshit still gets repeated today as if it was gospel.
    Ironically the same companies that knocked the Airflow copied it as fast as they could, and even claimed their copies were better than the original. You should have seen GM popping their buttons over their 'advanced' Turret Top all steel bodies in 1936, or Lincoln bragging about their great new streamlined Zephyr the same year.

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Incidentally if you want an Airflow but can't afford one just buy any 1938 or newer Chrysler car, or for that matter, anybody else's 1938 or newer car. They were all copies of the Airflow.