Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Back to the Bayou - The 3rd Annual Bayou Round Up is near!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beatnikontinental, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Hey fellas - just wanted to start a thread to remind folks that the 3rd Annual Bayou Round Up is coming up soon! It's a little earlier this year - September 29 & 30th, 2017 - due to some scheduling conflicts at Blackham Coliseum. If you've been to the show, or seen photos - you know why having Blackham is super special as a backdrop to the show. Its an amazing historic spot - and this show looks great out there.

The Bayou Round Up is kinda the kid brother to the Lonestar Round Up in Austin - this is year number 3, and we can't wait to be back. Lafayette is a really super cool little town - great friendly people, amazing food and fantastic music. Its got a laid back vibe like Austin - without all the big city craziness! We are able to do things like shut down streets all around Parc Sans Souci downtown to park all the old cars - and have a big free concert in the middle of it - stuff we could never do in Austin!

Complete schedule is up at: http://www.bayouroundup.com/schedule

A few highlights - Friday Sept 29th we have a cruise out to the Tabasco Factory on Avery Island - you can drive through the amazing Jungle gardens, and see how Tabasco gets made - still a local family run business! Then we cruise over to nearby Abbeville for lunch.

Packet pickup is later that evening - and we have funky good-time party-flavored New Orleans R&B with King James & the Special Men performing onstage at Downtown Alive! a free concert series held at Parc Sans Souci in downtown Lafayette - with parking on the streets all around for your rides.

Out at the show the next day at Blackham Coliseum is the main event!!!! Car show, delicious local food & drinks, vendors & and a swap meet. The inside of Blackham is laid out with some specially selected feature cars - recreating an atmosphere like you've stepped back in time to the great indoor car shows of the 50s - its really cool.

Outside we have cars parked all over the grounds, and a stage set up with music all day from:

Alligator Chomp Chomp - DJ Matty spinning nuthin' but the bestest Swamp Pop vinyl all day and between acts.

Zydeco Radio - fresh young jam band from Lafayette playing old-school grooves that infuse traditional zydeco with funk and 60s soul.

Curley Taylor and his band Zydeco Trouble hail from the heart of Creole country in Louisiana. Curley's soulful, bluesy vocals and the band's hard driving zydeco beat keeps everyone dancing.

All leading up to Texas meets Louisiana for an All Star Jukebox Review
    Mystic Knights of the Sea
    featuring Charlie Sexton, Denny Freeman, Mike Buck, Speedy Sparks & John X Reed with special guests Lil' Buck Sinegal, Tommy McLain, Pat Breaux & CC Adcock from Lil' Band O' Gold!

The Mystic Knights of the Sea is made up of some of the founding fathers of the Austin sound - rock & roll and R&B all stars who mix together sonic influences from Little Richard to Roky Erickson to Doug Sahm. Add to that some of the best Louisiana swamp pop superstars from Lil' Band O' Gold playing roadhouse boogie and Cajun rock and you get a really special, never before seen combination of some legendary musicians onstage that you won’t want to miss!

This is gonna be an amazing weekend in a really cool town - we are bringing together some great cars and fantastic entertainment for you - you can register your car online at http://www.bayouroundup.com/register/

and we still have rooms available in a blocks listed at - http://www.bayouroundup.com/lodging/

So make your plans and come on out to the show! And if you have come before and enjoyed it - let folks know!

Lets see what folks are bringing!
    _DSC4623-X3.jpg
    _DSC4407-Edit-X3.jpg

22303663571_04004605b2_k.jpg

22267062476_135991f0d8_k.jpg

_DSC4460-X3.jpg
    _DSC4594-X3.jpg
    22105578838_e1dde8114d_k.jpg

2. mickeyc

mickeyc

Went last year on Saturday. Enjoyed it very much.
    The best gathering of Hamb style hot rods I have
    encountered. I do intend to return this year as well.
    The swap meet was less than I had hoped for, but
    perhaps it will have more to offer this year.

3. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I love this show. If you are on the fence about going, do yourself a favor and put it on the schedule. It is such an awesome event, you won't be sorry. We'll be bringing the Salt Flat Speed Shop Special 32 Sedan (2.0) and can hardly wait. See ya there.

4. Glad to hear it, Mickey! Yes - we are trying to build up the swap meet, but this is just year 3 of the show - and we are doing our best to grow it. We didn't even have a swap meet in Austin until many years into that show. If you know folks who would be interested in being swap meet vendors - get in touch with our friend Raymond and help spread the word! - info is at http://www.bayouroundup.com/vendors-swap-meet/

5. We always appreciate the support from you Doc! and can't wait to see your sedan out there - its a beauty!
    20622076_2012174742338681_4988197347963440985_n.jpg

kidcampbell71 and DA Suede Rods like this.
  6. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

OK, Brian, you talked me into it!

7. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

The City of Lafayette welcomes us with open arms. The food is outstanding, the venue is incredible, the music is top notch and the cars are first class. I can't wait to get there.

8. Yay! You are gonna love it - and I can't wait to see your photos

DA Suede Rods likes this.
  9. beatnikontinental likes this.
  10. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Bump for a great show.

beatnikontinental likes this.
  11. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Is there any camping available like in Austin? I will be one of the vendors.

12. JABear

JABear

I'm a Lafayette local and stop here to browse every so often, though I don't have a car I've made the first two Bayou Roundup shows and look forward to the third coming up.

I figured I'd post a list of some suggestions on places to eat/drink. There's a ton of great places to eat here but I'll highlight the ones that I think make Lafayette what it is as well as some local favorites.

First, if you can make it, definitely attend Downtown Alive on Friday night as suggested. Exclusive parking is given to show cars, the band is usually pretty good, and its a good chance to walk around and take in Downtown Lafayette.

While downtown there's a few options for places to eat/drink. The Wurst Biergarten is a local favorite, it's an outdoor beer garden that has a constantly revolving selection of great local(and sometimes not local) beers, there's usually a band playing on Friday or Saturday night as well. It's right off Jefferson Street.

These places are also downtown right by Downtown Alive.

Don's Downtown (301 E Vermilion St, Lafayette, LA) The few times I've been it's always been a bit of an older crowd but the food has always been pretty good. It's right where Downtown Alive takes place on Friday night.

Agave Mexican Restaurant(200 E Vermilion St, Lafayette, LA) It's across the street from where Downtown Alive is held on Friday, the food is decent but they have outdoor seating and a band on Friday and Saturday night so it's a decent place to go when Downtown Alive finishes up.

Pop's Poboys(740 Jefferson St, Lafayette, LA) Best Poboys in town and some off the wall different poboy combos as well.

Blue Moon Saloon(215 E. Convent St. Lafayette). Local hostel with a bar/back patio/bandstand. They have Pine Leaf Boys playing the Saturday night, they're a good local cajun band.

*Not by downtown but still worth checking out*

Riverside Inn(240 Tubing Rd, Broussard, LA) Place has been around since the 40's and probably the best seafood/cajun place in the area.

Blue Dog Cafe(1211 W. Pinhook Rd. Lafayette). Another great seafood place

French Press(214 E. Vermilion St. Lafayette). Great breakfast/brunch spot. The Sweet Baby Breesus is my favorite, 3 biscuits, bacon, boudin balls, and Steen cane syrup.

Regatta Seafood and Steakhouse(508 Hawkeye Ave, Lake Arthur, LA) This one is a bit out the way but would be worth checking out for the guys on Sunday heading back west. From Lafayette you can take some backroads the whole way there or it's about 15 miles off I10. Good seafood place with a huge back deck overlooking Lake Arthur.

Other personal favorites worth noting

La Pagua Mexican Restaurant(5425 Johnston St, Lafayette, LA) Best Mexican food in town

Deano's Pizza(305 Bertrand Dr, Lafayette, LA)

Johnson's Boucaniere(1111 St John St, Lafayette, LA) BBQ

Olde Tyme Grocery(218 W St Mary Blvd, Lafayette, LA) They're cash only but have an ATM inside.

Boudin/Cracklins- Run over to Scott, LA west of Lafayette, there's Don's, Billy's or The Best Stop. Really can't go wrong at either place. Billy's will alot of times have a ridiculous line/crowd.

elgringo71 likes this.
  13. JABear

JABear

There's a few RV hookup spots at Blackheim Coliseum, though I'd imagine you'd have to contact the show organizers or Blackheim themselves to book one.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Does this mean that Lafayette will not be under water for this event ?
    Just wondering how the hurricanes have impacted the area.

15. JABear

JABear

No impact at all, we're good to go.

Blue One likes this.
  16. I went to the 1st one and liked it with exception of the Louisiana roads.

17. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Less than a week away, can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. Went to the first two and they were the best shows Ive been to. Unfortunately wont be able to make it this year as none of my projects are running now but I will for sure be there next year.

19. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Really wish I could have made this one, unfortunately last minute surgery will keep me from coming but will be there next year. Have heard a lot of good things about the last 3 Round Ups! Have fun!

20. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Another Excellent show! Thanks to the Kontinentals and the people of Lafayette, we had a great time.

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker