Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1957 Chevy 4 door conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonpentz, Jul 11, 2017.

1. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

[​IMG][​IMG] here is a pic of how I cut the post to make room the the rear window post to make it fit like a 2 door

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

[​IMG] I know my door is off it's off on both sides I'll do door alignment with the body work and I'll also finish my door gaps

brEad, els and catdad49 like this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thanks for your posts and info. I'm doing a 55. IMG_20170808_183428.jpg

brEad, jonpentz, els and 1 other person like this.
  4. els

els

jonpentz likes this.
  5. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

[​IMG] still making progress just slow here's a couple pics I snapped tonight I did them in black and white because the lighting sucked haha[​IMG]

6. Those look right on!

els likes this.
  7. Lookin good!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Daves sign looks better on the wall too;)

jonpentz and els like this.
  9. Good work...makes a person want to go out and grab one of the far cheaper quadra ports...

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Lets see the place you joined the back door skin to the quarter panel. Did you use any bondo?

11. Very impressive work! Are you using a plasma torch to do your cutting? My other question is, will the 4 dr window regulators work for your conversion, or will you have to find the pieces?

12. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

four door windows raise and lower straight up and down ,two door has to tilt to clear on the rear , not even close

wheeldog57, belair and els like this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

Such a cool thread, makes me want to go back 35 years and buy all them cheap 4 door tri5's and stack'em up out back!

els likes this.
  14. manyolcars

manyolcars

I bought all the two door regulators and parts. my windows will work correctly

chevy57dude and els like this.
  15. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

Thanks I thought that myself haha

djr041060 and els like this.
  16. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

I did use body filler to cover the weld spots but not much I separated the outer door from the inside but cutting it in half (I did not skin it) the reason was because the door not skinned has a stronger edge that is more easily welded and also with the double wall edge it stops excessive warping

djr041060, els and belair like this.
  17. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

I had a question about how I did my rear doors I separated the door in half inside from outside I did not skin the door! The reasoning was because the nice rounded edge of the door provided a nice surface to weld to also the thicker metal along the edge of the door stop excessive warping. I have seen guys literally shut the door with the latches in tact and latch the door closed leaving a pretty serious gap to have to weld it's kind a first day stuff not to do this! My door no longer has any latches I saved those because they were so good for my front doors. They actually sell the inner panel from a two door car i'm kind of playing with the idea of buying that to install on my car so I can roll the back windows down

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  18. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

I use a very thin cut disk on a grinder and no the rear window setup is vastly different I'm working on that now with pics to describe my work in detail. Also Just for FYI the front regulators from a 4 door are pretty dang close to the two door ones and I have made them work before on my 1956 Chevy

els likes this.
  19. Thanks for the info. One other thing that interests me, is that I get the idea that the 2 dr B pillar is slightly different than the 4 dr pillar. Am I correct in inferring that you have to use the 2 dr pillar with the big door, and that if you extended the front door of the 4 dr, you would have to use the 4 dr pillar. Not knowing anything about them, I would have thought they were both the same.
    I was lucky enough to find a Dillon torch at an auction, and it cuts without the distortion of the standard cutting torch.

jonpentz, els and fourspeedwagon like this.
  20. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting the update.

21. Awesome work! I'm still following to see it finished.
    Feel like I need to see one in progress/in person so I can really understand..

22. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Yes j-jock, the profile of a 2 door jamb is different from a 4 door jam. So you need to make a decision based on the condition of your parts and your fabrication skills.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  23. Thanks, I guessed that from your writeup, and was trying to figure out why GM would have made a different design for the same door. I assumed your method of replacing the B pillar was the best way of solving the problem.
    Thanks
    Bob

24. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

I have some videos of this on YouTube I'll post a link soon. I have made some progress but not in the way of the conversion, I bought a crate engine and am currently installing it I also did a quick faux patina paint to use the car in the labor Day parade here in town I AM GOING TO PAINT the car just for now it's being used to advertise our car show! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. elba

elba

Craftsman !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. How did the rear windows work out? Curious because there's a spot on the 2 door inner wheelwells that is a depression or low spot. It's there to allow the widow to roll through it's full travel.

els likes this.
  27. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

I am working on this what I figure to be the best situation is dan chuck has an inner repair panel that comes with the wheel well and I think that will be the best situation so I can get my rear windows to roll up and down

brEad, els and chevy57dude like this.
  28. belair

belair

great work. you're killing it.

jonpentz, els and robber grin like this.
  29. manyolcars

manyolcars

awesome fake patina

30. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Does look pretty decent at least in the pics, I would be tempted to take it back to this, put the trim on it and roll for now.
    upload_2017-9-23_22-17-10.jpeg

brEad, els and jonpentz like this.