Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 corvette suggestion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Well, I brought it home today. Some fresh gas and it started running smooth. Cleaned out a bunch of crap the old man had squirreled away in every nook and cranny. Now it needs a good scrubbing inside and out then a oil change and a thorough going over. The wife even smiled when she saw it!

2. Mac, probably should call him back again. It gets more realistic each time. Keep it up;)

els and loudbang like this.
  3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Enjoy it I am trying to get mine back on the road. My dad gave it to me before he died. DSCN5525.jpg

As it sits now soon to be back on the road
    gar1.jpg
    gar2.jpg

LowKat, Baron, els and 11 others like this.
  4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Scotty your Dad was obviously a very cool guy, and it looks like the apple didn't roll far from the tree!
    A '57 Vette has a look all it's own, and that '57 really has a great look.
    Think about the incarnation that really did it for your Dad, that will probably be the one that will do it, period!
    What ever you do, carry on the tradion you had with your Dad, that is the one that counts!
    KK

5. Enlo do you frequent the Corvetteforum.com ? If not you should. I've been keeping an eye on your vette project. Maybe we will meet up in the vettes at the hotrod reunion soon.

Baron, els and loudbang like this.
  6. My vote is, make the changes you want and enjoy it. I had a 64 Coupe with knock offs, powered by the 300 horse 327. It wasn't a powerhouse, but it was reliable and great fun. I am attempting to find the car so I can buy it back.

els, loudbang, catdad49 and 1 other person like this.
  7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I haven't been on the Corvetteforumn in quite a while.
    I will have the 66 in Bowling Green next June for sure. You are welcome to come hang out with us.
    We start camping in the campground on Wednesday and leave on Sunday.

8. Mark Yak,

I took your criticism earlier, and made the call to clear things up. I gladly admitted my mistake, and shared the correct info. When my father raced in the Philly area in the late 50's, he was one of the more to most successful in stock class on the 1/4 mile track. There are more than enough folks on this site who can verify that 283's could rev higher than your estimate. So, sit there behind your pc and say what you like, but at this point, you can simply kiss off.

Scott, again, I apologize for any derailment of your thread- just don't care to have me or my father being called liars.

els likes this.
  9. if i make it i'll be with the "grizzlehopper" boys, David and ROB.

10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You know we will be hanging out with them:)

11. 1957 283 , 270 hp stock (as in Stock Class) valve spring pressure..69 pounds on the seat.
    Just doing my part to stop the spreading of dis-information on the internet , every day.
    Carry on....

12. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

All black (coves too) black steel wheels poverty caps and drive it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  13. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

Andy, catdad49, els and 8 others like this.
  14. Mike

Mike

Leave it be, drive the hell out of it.

els, scotty t and enloe like this.
  15. I don't have anything to add except to say a C1 corvette is dream car status for me.

EDIT: I'd do the black steel wheels and dog dish caps like the one pictured above.

Baron, els, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  16. My grandpa said he shifted the 265 in his 37 Chevy drag car at 7k. But I do admit 10k sounds a bit high for the stock class.

els likes this.
  17. TVC

TVC

Possibly do something stylistically along these lines with it:

A Southern California Racer look. Treat it in the light that Chevrolet first intended, as a competitor to the European cars that were being produced at the time.

els and scotty t like this.
  18. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Where you see black paint it red and where u see silver paint it creme or black. Two tone interior. Then go with a 327 or something of that year or any corvette engine from any year. Stick shift.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  19. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

els likes this.
  20. badvolvo

badvolvo

Yank that TPI, put in some power, drive the hell out of it, like i do with my 59, more fun drag racing than polishing at car shows. That worn black & silver looks great.

els, elgringo71 and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  21. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

What a great story and a fabulous car! It's all yours to do as you wish, but, a legacy car is an incredible asset for all of the right reasons. You can put a wrench to it anytime, but it is the bomb! Think of the paint as war medals and drive brother, drive! Lucky man.

els, scotty t and elgringo71 like this.
  22. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Lots of opinions here, here's mine. If the paint is that bad, REPAINT it like Dad had it. Drive it and enjoy.

23. ron marchand

ron marchand

els, Cosmo49, scotty t and 1 other person like this.
  24. My vote would be a black painted blower with polished ribs, 4 speed and some lift blocks between the frame and front suspension.

els, porkshop and enloe like this.
  25. WOW!!
    What a beautiful, bitchin' car!
    I would get out of early Fords for that.:eek:

els and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  26. Paul B

Paul B

Mark Yak you are still the man (legend) I guess they don't know who you are and your know how with a sbc

els likes this.
  27. I finally got a chance to watch the video, it was cool thanks for posting. its funny I remember Dad telling me about wanting to do that at one point, in the 60's, but I don't think it would have worked very well in Indiana. LOL

els likes this.
  28. I'm not selling my HEMI plym for it!
    <<<<<-----

els likes this.
  29. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Scott

If the 427 is a big inch small block, I would put it in dressed as a 283 2 x 4s and the 4 speed. :rolleyes:
    ( original look with big power ) ;)

If you have to paint it, I would keep it the same as what your Dads vision was, to help save the memory's
    you made with him.

els, enloe and scotty t like this.
  30. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

looks good drive it HAVE FUN & enjoy :cool::cool: