Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical strange garnish molding screws

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nmpontiac, Aug 7, 2017.

1. IMG_0071.JPG The doors of the '30 Plymouth 2 dr sedan I'm doing for a customer have screws that hold the front side of the garnish moldings in place, they're kind of like binder posts, but they are made with oval countersunk heads on each end. The threads are 6-32, the whole thing is around .900" long.
    Anybody got any ideas where I might find something like these?

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

3. Try Mc Master Carr they have great selections.Kind of like commercial partition hardware.

4. squirrel

squirrel

McM doesn't have the right head shape available.

5. Damn, Jim, I just barely got this posted and you've got the answer - thanks as usual. I was (or still am) hoping for a stateside source, but this is a great lead. Using the right words in my search, it turns out Fastenal has them (brass, nickel plated). I remember my '50 Pontiac has a couple of similar ones in the divider strip for the windshields, they're just a little smaller diameter.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Looks similar to windshield divider post molding screws for shubox fords but I believe they're a larger size then 6/32s

loudbang likes this.
  7. Try Carolinahoudaille.com
    704 333 6669

loudbang likes this.
  8. redo32

redo32

'32 Fords use similar, but I don't have the size handy.

9. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Google "sex nuts" (seriously). A lot of sources for similar hardware will come up.

Gary

loudbang likes this.
  10. Gary, thanks - yeah "sex nuts" is the correct nomenclature for lots of this style fastener. First time I saw that I laughed.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Think 32's are 8's but have not loosed one up to check it.

12. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I believe they are called "tube nuts" and the Antique Ford suppliers have some but I don't know if they have that small.

13. sawzall

sawzall

i think they are called tube screws?
    ford wagons use similar to hold the stainless rub strips to the tailgate

14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I've heard them referred to a barrel nuts. Used on sunvisors.

15. The barrel end looks like the nut for bicycle rim spoke. No idea on thread size, but they are fairly small diameter. Worth a look, at home.

16. Well, the latest is that Fastenal has them, part # 0123391, but I can't order them online. The nearest Fastenal store is Alamosa, CO (only about an hour away) and when I contacted them they asked if I had a Fastenal account (I don't) to which they replied that since I was so far away (1 hr.) and didn't have an account, they probably couldn't order them. WTF?

17. The 50 Chevy windshield divider strip ones are 6-32 and about 5/8 long. If you buy the kit from Chevs of the 40s, you get 3 of those nuts - $22.50

18. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Try RESTORATION SPECIALTIES,Winbar,PA.

19. Finally got them ordered by using the "check out as guest" instead of the registered info they (Fastenal) asked for.

TagMan likes this.
  20. topher5150

topher5150

Machinists, and plumbers are a dirty bunch... Nipples, male end, female end, sex nuts, mating

21. stock 32 ford garnish bolt & barrell nuts,,..have ordered many sets from Vintique