Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Rodder needs serpentine a c help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kermit, Aug 4, 2017.

1. kermit

kermit
    from WI

my disabled wife wants a c put in our SBC powered 54 F 100 fast. She wants to go on a 3000 mile cruise along the coast ( last ride?) I have a complete 4.3 liter serpentine setup (brackets, a c, ps, alternator, water pump, fan etc) and an under dash Mark 1V unit. I have all the parts cleaned and painted. I was going to swap out v belt to serp this weekend. But it looks like the a c bracket will not clear the valve cover on number 1 cylinder. I have Edelbrock tall ribbed covers, but it looks like stock covers would not clear either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. kermit

kermit
    from WI

Ok, so either no one knows or no one cares. For the record, GM castings used on S 10's etc having the R 134 4 top bolt compressors on the drivers side will Not work on the 350 blocks due to interference with the valve cover. These same castings were also used on some 5.7 engines as well.

The earlier R 12 compressors on 5.7 engines were located on the passenger side will work on older 350 blocks.

3. BJR

BJR

Give it more time then a few hours to get some answers.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I would not mess with the serpentine stuff, just to add ac. If you post a few pictures of the engine, we can offer ideas about what would be easiest to do.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. 88-98 Chevy truck
    Available at pick a part as well at much less than 835.00
    image.png

7. Serpentine belts are OT

8. You'll need a long water pump. I'm thinking you'll have radiator to fan are pulley issues. You can buy a ac mount for a sanden compressor and save lots of work. You will need two belt pulleys. Might need to up the alternator amps for high speed blower use. As stated pictures would help.