Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help: My neighbors are complaining

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ann Marie, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

all mine either come help me or watch or want rides, so I cant help ya, hope it gets better for ya

2. I would suggest avoiding the “instant gratification” route that others have suggested. It is nice to think about what you would like to tell her but bite your tongue when you see her. Getting into a confrontation will just waste everybody’s time and there is no telling where it will lead. Any chance the ventilation fans in the garage are broken? Any chance the manager could give you another parking space closer to ventilation or maybe outside? Good luck.

Charlie Stephens

jerseyboy, oj and patterg2003 like this.
  3. patterg2003

patterg2003

I agree there is no value in attacking anyone as it diminishes oneself and can turn into an unnecessary fur ball. If it is possible to eliminate the gas smell it is better for you as well & may work out to be a safer system. The charcoal canister is an excellent idea. One thing may be the routing of the vent line as you say the gas dries out by the time you get home. If the vent line runs lower than the top of the fuel neck it could discharge a far slug of gas out of sight on the surfaces on underside of the vehicle before the gas going into the tank tank tops out. The gas may continue to drain down the vent line until the fuel gets too low and the gas may still occasionally spit if there is sloshing. Gas would be accumulating dust and the combination gives the smell life. If there is a way to get a portion of the vent line to rise above the height of the filler neck in the routing of the line then the fuel cannot escape through the vent. The tank can be filled with less spills. It might need to rise somewhere out of sight to achieve the rise in the vent line. There was a thread on routing vent lines in the last year.

Gas in recent years is getting more obnoxious and it could be all the crap additives, ethanol, refinery byproduct etc that they currently sell as gas. I was doing fuel work on a airplane recently that is 100LL avgas and that gas has very mild smell that is more pleasant like gasoline was years ago. The 100LL smell does not stay strong on the hands compared to pump gas.

jerseyboy and gimpyshotrods like this.
  4. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Need more information on the gas tank you installed.
    I didn't read all of the responses, but I convert all of my builds to sealed fuel systems and run a charcoal canister. Tank needs two vents, one to let air out when you are filling it and one to let air in when the engine is running. Old tanks have a huge filler tube that easily lets air out when filling. However if your filler is in the truck bed I assume it is short and easily splashes gas back at you. Fix is obviously to fill it slow unless you want to relocate the filler, which I would because I never understood wanting the filler in the truck bed anyway. If your fill tube is not a straight shot into the tank then that makes it even harder to fill with such a short fill tube. I would move the fill cap to the fender.
    As for letting air in while the engine is running old vehicles used a vented cap that let air in. I would switch to a sealed cap and connect a charcoal canister to a 1/4" vent line that can be tapped into the filler neck (if you do not already have a usable port on the tank), but higher than where the gas station nozzle will be. Dont want to be pushing fuel directly into the vent line.
    As for purging the canister it is not as easy to make it happen automatic, my FI cars use a computer controlled EVAP solenoid, but for an older car there were complicated setups with temperature controlled vacuum switches and other analog type controls. I have found there really is no need to purge the canister. Hooking it up to engine vacuum is like having a full time vacuum leak so you do not want that, and on my cars with no purge control the canister works fine. I have no gas smells from any of my cars.
    I use chevy van tanks in the back of my pickup builds, side filler in the fender.

Attached Files:

• 196.JPG
      196.JPG
      File size:
      108.7 KB
      Views:
  5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Budget36

Budget36

Funny how a nice you lady will get 4 pages of response, totally not in line what she's was asking...lol...I think it's good, carry on men...she'll like you'll soon enough!

7. inaford30

inaford30

I had a few crazy neighbors before. I for one would put up a camera or two just so she don't do shit to justify her craziness like dump some oil and call and said you done it etc.

Sent from my LG-V410 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

classiccarjack likes this.
  8. The aftermarket filter units I saw last week are from a company called II Much.

9. Rickywb

Rickywb

Attached Files:

10. Rickywb

Rickywb

I am not sure if this has been covered because I didn't read all of the posts. I am wondering if you had considered having your welder modify your fuel neck to something like this pic to catch the overflow and let go back to the tank.

11. wrench3047

wrench3047

(Don't get too excited boys, I'm a liberal, lol)
    I think I've been "triggered"

I haven't read through all the responses but I have a couple of cents to throw in. My apologies if I repeat someone. If the last 20 something years dealing with EPA, OSHA, and folks that think beening offended give them special rights is CYA. Meaning follow the rules but don't make your difficult on yourself. Also, I like the camera idea that was mentioned, apps for your phone can record "conversations", consider making a harassment statement without charges if it continues having evidence of their craziness will go a long way. I also like the idea of talking to neighbors that you are good with, if they have problems with her that will give you weight if it escalated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

inaford30 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  12. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easy: tell your neighbor you asked Miss Manners about the issue and give her a link to this thread. :)

13. unkamort

unkamort

Just a little story... I started my project in a basement garage under my flat in the middle of SF. When I started getting 'the look' from the neighbors I got some chalk and wrote in letters 2' high "ART?" on the back of the cab. This went on for years, never got a complaint. Seems if your a crazy ass hot roder your a NIMBY magnet. But if your a crazy ass artists your part of the charm of the neighborhood.

kiwijeff, blowby and osage orange like this.
  14. When dealing with crazy, be wary. I love free speech. Folks tell you just who they are, especially when you encourage them to go on and on. Knowledge is power, and knowing whether you're dealing with a snake or a lunatic helps you maneuver to safer ground.

inaford30 and Coggs_n'_gears like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha! I knew it!

16. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Maybe its her way of getting your attention?? Something she may be lacking.........just sayin..

17. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Another big source of gas smell is rubber fuel hoses. Alcohol in fuel eats them up. You can have the etire system closed up & still get smells as the gas percolates thru the rubber.
    Todays rubber hoses are mostly coming from China & they know little about manufacturing EPDM, so it fails in as little as 1 year.
    Before you go to the trouble of adding a charcoal can, I suggest that you consider changing the hoses to PTFE fuel hoses (black inside).
    TechAFX has easy to install 3/8" ends that have a crush collar to go right to the hardline in your truck.

PM me, Im sure that I have some in stock. I'll give you a deal on what you need to replumb your truck.

Singlefinger Speed Shop,
    still lurking around Detroit

18. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

[​IMG]

We did Captian Scarlet's Deuce with TechAFX hose n fittings

Singlefinger Speed Shop,
    still lurking around Detroit

bostonhemi likes this.
  19. chubbie

chubbie

picture of truck and neighbor or it didn't hapen

Budget36, Cosmo49 and X38 like this.
  20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Sounds like neighbor has a bad case of the"Aardvark Syndrome".Has a long nose that is stuck in to every ones business.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm constantly amazed at the people who readily admit THEY HAVEN'T READ ALL THE POSTS in a thread, BUT THEY STILL WANT TO OFFER OPINIONS AND COMMENTS. If you're too damn lazy to read it all I don't have any interest at all in what you have to say.

swade41, kiwijeff, oj and 5 others like this.
  22. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Five pages and we don't have any PICTURES yet? What the hell happened to the H.A.M.B.?....Mam,we need pictures of the truck (and maybe one or two more of you too!)

23. Mike. I could pay them a visit. The 56 Chrysler has a BIG trunk. You bring the shovel. LOL. Bruce.

classiccarjack and mike bowling like this.
  24. 3S... shoot, shovel, shut up. Works for me as long as the ground isn't too hard.

25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

And those figures are only car-by-car, all things being equal. Add in production to cover capital costs, production to cover marketing costs, production to cover product purchase cost, etc. etc. and it's even better.

26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Complaints about politics on this one......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.