Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Top Gas AA/GD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gary Reynolds, Jul 29, 2015.

1. oj

oj

Why do they have the scoops on backwards? There's other gas dragsters in here backwards too so there must be something to it.

chryslerfan55 and gas pumper like this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

hello,
    here is a movie clip of tommy ivo's 671 supercharged buick dragster at lions in 1960 that i took. it was inbetween the injected buick...and the buick twin. not too many ivo dragster photos of the 671 on the buick motor.
    thanks,
    jnaki

fol, chryslerfan55, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  3. Jack Doyle's Slider AA/GD, 1968 AHRA Nationals winner. Just a great car that never let us down, even when I didn't do a great job driving. image.jpeg

4. 1968 AHRA Nationals top gas final, John Levin far lane up in smoke, and we're off and gone for the win in the Slider. Bob Snyder photo image.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  5. October 1968 last race day of the season image.jpeg

mad mikey and wedjim like this.
  6. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Pat Paulsen !!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Barb Santucci

Barb Santucci

WinnersCircleIndy.jpg

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  8. jeff brown

jeff brown

My father is Bob Brown, driving for Glen McCulloch of so.cal. Glen was part owner with Leon Fitzgerld, owner driver of AA/FA "Pure Heaven" at Anaheim Speed Engineers. Glen was excellent with small block Chevys.

9. jeff brown

jeff brown

No, its not Ed. His name Glen McCulloch, part owner in Anaheim Speed Engineers with Leon Fitzgerald.

10. jeff brown

jeff brown

Dave Zeushel is on the far right, my dad is standing next to him, on his right,the only name I remember them calling him Spider, man on left is Bob Cano who was a drag boat racer and friend of my dad.

Attached Files:

11. jeff brown

jeff brown

Feature in Drag News paper on Gaslite. IMG_0677.JPG IMG_0678.JPG IMG_0678.JPG IMG_0678.JPG

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Pat Paulson, didn't even need the hint.[/QUOTE]
    Ran on the "STAG PARTY" ticket. "If nominated I will not run, if elected, I will not serve", was the campaign slogan.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

mad mikey likes this.
  13. Maurice "Spider" Razon along with Red Lang and Joe Anahory were the Dead End Kids.

mad mikey likes this.
  14. bchctybob

bchctybob

Like Gary and George I started going to the drags (at Lions) when I was 11 if I could talk Dad into it (he was a stick and ball fanatic). I missed a lot of great racing 'cause they wouldn't let me go without a parent until I was about 14. Then Dad would drop me and a buddy off at noon Saturday and pick us up outside the gates at 10:30 or so. I loved the dragsters and I didn't care if they were gas, fuel or Jr Fuel. My hands down favorite back then was the Adams & McEwen Shark car. I would stand and stare at it 'til it was time to head for the lanes, then I'd head for my favorite seat on the return road side where you could look almost straight down on the cars as they came by.
    I guess it was before the real Top Gas, but any good pictures of the Shark Car?? Thanks for the great thread.

15. loudbang

loudbang

I guess this is the best thread to put The George Bolthoff history story.

The early HAMB time frame years.

EDIT: the first sentence below is NOT ME it is George himself saying it was his first car.

This is my first car, a 1930 Model A Ford cabriolet coupe. This picture was taken in 1949 behind our house in Big Bear Lake California. The car was soon striped of its fenders and the top was cut off to make it into a HOT ROD roadster. Although the car looked like a hot rod, the 4-cylinder Model A engine did not provide the performance of one. What I needed was a Ford V-8 engine!

bolt1.jpg

1930 Ford roadster, with 32 chassis and a 37 V8. But no top or heater got REAL COLD driving it.

bolt2.jpg

1932 3 window Ford had roof, but no windows or heater. First drive on real drag strip Santa Ana drag strip 1952 top speed 72.58 mph

bolt3.jpg

Next car a 1936 coupe painted yellow. Ran stock class even with no fenders at Saugus California and won a few trophies

bolt4.jpg

First Dragster in 1954 with flathead. Standing Fred Chavez, Frank Huszar, and me George Bolthoff, in drivers seat is Earl Gerard. The car was built from parts from junkyard behind Fred's gas station in Tarzana Calif. Photo taken after winning Top eliminator at Saugus drag strip California. Car only ran a few times and the parts were then sent back to the junkyard.

bolt5.jpg

The Chevy Dragster years

Taken at the Lions Drag Strip in Long Beach, CA, and Ron Hampshire is driving.

The chassis was completed in early 1962 by Kent Fuller and the body was made by Doug Kruse. By June of 1962 the car made its first run at the Fontana, Ca. drag strip.

The car was originally driven by Ron Hampshire, but Ron was soon drafted into the Army! I took over the driver's job in late 1962 and stayed in the seat until I stopped running the car.

The engine was a 339 Cubic Inch Displacement (CID) Chevrolet small block, equipped with a 6-71 supercharger. The car started out running 172 mph with an elapsed time (ET) of 9.00 seconds.

By the end of 1963 the speed had risen to 181 mph with an ET of 8.40 seconds. The little Chevrolet ran well, setting records and winning a lot of races; but it was unreliable. The car lost races when the engine broke.

bolt6.jpg

This picture was taken at the 1963 NHRA Winter Nationals at Pomona Ca. This was the first national event for this car. And it qualified in a field that included some of the fastest in the country: Jack Chrisman, Gordon Collet, Danny Ongais, and the Peters and Frank twin-engine "Freight Train".

The little Chevrolet was over matched this time, and the "Freight Train" won this meet at 178.21mph and 8.82 sec. elapsed time.

bolt7.jpg

bolt8.jpg

bolt9.jpg

bolt10.jpg

bolt11.jpg

bolt12.jpg

Record Holder 8.34 at 191.08 MPH 1965

bolt13 Record Holder 8.34 at 191.08 MPH 1965.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  16. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Wow loudbang thanks for the history lesson I've read a lot about George bolthoff I had no idea that was you I have a chassis research car and am running a blown gas injected 331 but it's no where near the times you were running guess I better do a better job of tuning it then

Chrome don't get ya home

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

WHOA that is not me the caption saying my first car was from GEORGE not me. I will edit that one for sure :eek:

chryslerfan55 and Ray C's son like this.
  18. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Oh ok loudbang guess I misunderstood what was being said lol still thanks for the history

Chrome don't get ya home

19. loudbang

loudbang

I would have love to do the stuff he did back in the day. :p

mad mikey likes this.
  20. OldTopGasser

OldTopGasser

This is a photo that I shot of my Top Gas dragster at Tulsa in 1969. My first wife was pregnant and pulled me out of the driver's seat, so I hired 19-year-old John "Goat" Osborn (pictured) to drive for me. It was a Bill Beaman chassis with a 462 cu.in. Chrysler built by Dick Moritz. Front wheels and mag blower drive also were by Moritz. We were racing on the Midwest All-Stars Top Gas Circuit along with Moritz & Lundy, Pusch & Cain, Bunker & Williams, McClintock & Ferguson and several others.
    It was a great time for the class and we had a lot of fun running at strips from Marion, South Dakota to Opelousas, Louisiana. One of our highlights would be winning the Midwest Gas Dragster Championship at Omaha in 1969, beating Doug Ferguson driving Charlie McClintock's car in the final.
    Unfortunately, we lost John in 1979 in a crash at Kansas City when he was driving Dick Moritz' funny car.

Attached Files:

21. TOP GAS RULES!

22. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Yes it does

Chrome don't get ya home

23. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I still have my Moritz and Osborn T shirt but I haven't worn it since John passed.
    P1010004.JPG

mgtstumpy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. If you're referring to the twin engine "Black Mariah" Mr. Austin still has it. Uses it as cackle car these days.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  25. loudbang likes this.
  26. I'll admit I don't have any pictures, but it's alright now in fact it's a gas

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Ron Stevens

Ron Stevens

What a great thread! Not everyone ran nitro, us "blackie carbon" guys ran pretty well as well. The other thing I have always wanted people to know (those that were there already do) not all the good racing was on the west coast. The midwest was a real hotbed during the 60's & 70's. I'm from the Cleveland area, and the racing in Ohio was outstanding. National Trail, 42, Norwalk, Thompson, Quaker City. Friday & Sunday nights at Quaker City were legendary. There were always full fields, and a lot of guys that didn't make the show. The top gas cars were so strong, that we would enter fuel meets & win, until the real t/f cars bitched, so we actually did run alcohol in our gas motors just to compete, and did very well. Just a few of the names off the top of my head, Oties, me (Ron Stevens) Lou Novotny, Dave Shaffer, DA Santucci, Dick Vest, plus so many more I cant remember. I'm sorry for those I forgot. Here are some pictures of my car, I've probably went on too long already.

Attached Files:

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and mgtstumpy like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

29. Hippie66

Hippie66

Do you have any more pictures of John Osborn? I am good friends with his brother Mike. He was showing me a pic of Jon with your car last night. I'd love to be able to share more pics with him.