Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How do you stab the distributor on an FE?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Yep, the strange part is they're both are on the same hand.

2. arthurC3

arthurC3

I got lucky once and it dropped in. After that,I had to get the distributor in as far as possible,then grab the fan blade to turn the crank the little extra to drop the rest of the way. Always check the timing again after.

Sent from my LG-H830 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

Usually a little grease will hold the hex shaft in the middle of the hole. I always leave the intake slightly loose on an FE when I stab the distributor the first time.
    I have had to break more than one of them because the intake was tightened slightly off center of the dist hole and the dist gets bound up in the intake. Former Ford line mechanic.
    You ever pick the whole motor up by the distributor with a cherry picker because the distributor won't come out. Or take the intake off with the distributor still in the intake.

mammyjammer and deathrowdave like this.
  4. Get everything lined up and stab the distributer, then bump the motor over and let it drop into place.

5. "You ever pick the whole motor up by the distributor with a cherry picker because the distributor won't come out. Or take the intake off with the distributor still in the intake."

Yeah...and one day at work while trying to fire a 390 on an engine cart, I found a bad distributor and was working it back and forth. What I didn't know is my helper had flooded the engine badly, trying to get it started.
    As I got the distributor to come up, it finally cleared the intake but I'd left battery current going to the coil...made a little spark between distributor and intake with a pan full of gasoline.
    BOOOOM!!!!! The distributor was propelled straight up, missing my nose by 1/4 inch and taking my hat off. The thing continued upward and went THROUGH the roof of the old barn, converted to an engine shop. Never saw it again, either. Might still be up on that roof. Or maybe in the Columbia river with the drive shaft to my 68 GTO...a story for another time.

31Vicky with a hemi and Truck64 like this.
  6. "It's a bimb. Were you expecting one?"

7. BJR

BJR

With a remark like that he may use only one finger for your reply!:p:D

8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

One end of the shaft is sharpened for this reason . Look at both ends of the shaft , one is pointer than the other pointy end up ! I know that's what she says too ! As stated , hold down and rotate it will drop in easily .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. rhtfo

rhtfo

Did what Pist-n-Broke suggested this morning on my son's 360 FE. WOW, works like bread n butter. Thanks ...

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31Vicky with a hemi and squirrel like this.
  10. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

... and aftermarket intakes can be even more troublesome than the factory behemoth!

11. Davereeves

Davereeves
    from Ca

Silicone the shaft to the distributor then drop in the whole thing;-)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Aaaahh, You may not want to try this even though it sounds simple. Reason being, you still need to engage the Hex in the Oil pump. Same issue only larger in that the drive shaft is no longer contained, the target has No guide system and if it lets go it goes clear past the pump. If the shaft drops out now you need to drop the pan being the crankshaft will scoop up the shaft and make a Pretzel out of it. You also have no way to know if you actually got it in the pump till you light it up and have no Oil pressure.
    One thing I NEVER do is give advice that I haven't proven myself will work.
    Davereeves have you ever actually done this?
    The Wizzard

13. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I found a pretzeled oil pump drive shaft in the pan of FE I bought....a few years later I found out they end up there.....

14. Davereeves

Davereeves
    from Ca

Yes I have done this, No problem, just lucky I guess ---(BETTER TO BE LUCKY THAN GOOD) ;-)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Budget36

Budget36

Think if I had to, I'd use some grease...grease won't plug up oil passages, little balls of silicone would.

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

I was a line mechanic for Ford and also worked on Uhaul trucks with FE motors and a little grease around the dizzy shaft held it center while the distributor was dropped in. Never a problem with the grease plugging anything up. Silicone is a big no no. A silicone ball can get between the oil pump gears and lock. Twisting the oil shaft off or shearing the pin in the dist. I had to redo another so called mechanics screw up because of that exact problem.

17. Clevername

Clevername

Since the engine is tilted in the Mysterion, the grease trick isn't working too well - how about something harder like a ball of bread?

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I don't know how old you are but nowadays there are little pills to help with that.

19. donno

donno

and the reason I have a starter "bump switch" under the hood.

rjones35 likes this.