Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here into large scale (1/8) car models???

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Deuces, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Ognib

Ognib
    from Mo

More progress on the quick change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Deuces

Deuces

Love all the great builds guys....
    Thanks for making this a great thread... :D

3. Mojo

Mojo

There was a 57 Chevy, 69 Camaro, 71 Camaro, and 69 Mustang made in 1/8th scale. The 71 Camaro seems to be the hardest to find on ebay. I'm not sure about the production years either. I just looked at my mustang, it's dated 2005, and made by "Funline".

4. Ognib

Ognib
    from Mo

More progress on the quick change. Gettin there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I'm looking for 1/8th scale ford flathead heads if anyone has any. Even one will work for me. Also looking for an Ardun head and Chrysler firepower valve covers.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Awhile back you queried about a '52 Cad engine in 1/8. Twelve years ago my brother built a SCALE model of Grabowski's T ("Kookie Kar") every detail was duplicated, except the engine. He had a Pontiac engine out of the Big Deuce, so I measured and scaled the Pontiac against a blueprint of an early Cad engine, block, heads, intake.
    Intake on Grabowski car was a Horne, so just the Cad runners had to be indexed (located)
    Main block profile was to be dealt with first: Cad was 90 degree layout, Pontiac was more 'upright', similar to SBC. I sliced a 'V' out of the Pontiac block, inserted a 1/4" evergreen plastic strip between the block halves to get angle and width.
    Heads were sanded to Cad shape, and valve covers added to and carved for the fin layout, also tall arcs on top.
    Intake was pieced together with Evergreen strips and filed to shape. This was the first use of the then new 'Alclad ll' chrome lacquer in the bottle, at least by us. Careful coat of black, then the Alclad chrome. First time I saw anything work like that... The model was akin to being shrunk down from the real deal...
    He took it to a local model show put on by a self-proclaimed expert in hot rods.
    The guy judged it poorly, "just another fad T"... He'd never heard of Norm Grabowski, but knew Von Franco had a chopped '32...
    Some guys live in unconsciousness.
    The late Randy Vandraiss asked, "Where in the HELL did you scare up an 1/8 scale Caddy engine?" Made it worth it.

7. Ognib

Ognib
    from Mo

8. Alfster

Alfster

Here's one (or two) you might be interested in.

I was give some old golf trundler of wheels a while ago and have been looking for something to use them on so I decided to make an old T Speedster.

With the wheels being the deciding factor in the scale the car has turned out at 1/3 scale.

Then I decided to make a truck to carry it. Some old pram wheels turned up and it is all now nearing completion at over 6 feet in length. There is some detail work on the truck cab to finish and then it will all be taken apart for painting. The tray (which tilts) will be wood stained while everything else will be painted black with brass trim. Interior will be done in the same brown material as the speedster seats.

Once this is done I want to build car transporter trailer to go behind it with a second Speedster.

Everything has been hand made by me

15723417_1691233297874234_3066376424990171687_o.jpg

Deuces, mgtstumpy, 23 Skidoo and 6 others like this.
  9. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bummer. I have 2 or 3 of them stashed for projects. RIP, for sure. Gary

BIG-JIM likes this.
  11. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

If anyone is interested I know I make 58 Biscayne tail lights with the choice of three different lenses. Best way to get in touch with me is email [email protected] or you can come visit us on our Facebook group called RATRODZRUS trust me the site is all about hot rods with only a couple of rat rods. I've been calling it that for years way before I knew of the negative connotation the word had.

Attached Files:

Deuces and Jigger like this.
  12. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

The housings.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  13. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Bump.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. gastruk

gastruk
    from minnesota

HPI vintage and touring wheels And tires
    Some of them might work
    For 1/10 or 1/12
    HPI 1/8 tire and wheel

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  15. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Where ya been deuces?

16. Where you been, yourself Jim?
    I haven't seen any updates on your 34 in a long time, I guess your to busy driving the wheels off it. :D

17. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Well not exactly driving the wheels off...The 34 ford. But I am driving the wheels off my 34 chevy!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. I missed that one Jim, very nice.
    Is the 32 next to it, the wife's?

A 34 Chevy in 1/8th would be a seller.

19. Deuces

Deuces

Wo
    Working my tail off... It's great to be back on here.. :)

20. Here's my latest large scale build, it's a plywood 1/1 scale V12 for my lawn art 1929 Cadillac.
    I got two GM Holden six heads, and mounted them, on my wooden V block. I w used thick plywood, and the head bolts screwed into it real nice.
    Because the inlet and outlet ports are on the same side of the six head, I turned one around, and I'll use panel steel to block off all the outside ports, and weld zoomies to it.
    This means all the spark plugs are on the valley side of the heads, so I'll make an inlet manifold, that sits in the valley. That's still to be determined, after I find as many matching carbs, as I can find.
    I've used the Holden six oil pan, and turned it around, so the pickup area is at the back of the engine.
    The Holden dip stick was used, as well as the engine mount brackets, but I need better pics, after painting the wood block black. I'm also going to give the wood a coat of textured paint, to disguise the wood further. IMG_20170520_193143.jpg

Deuces, rodncustomdreams and pcbart like this.
  21. Pics I forgot I'd taken of the blocks construction. IMG_20170429_113203.jpg IMG_20170429_113212.jpg

22. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

What I've been working on, a 1/8th scale 33 ford 3 window coupe.

Attached Files:

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ Super cool, Jim. How on earth do you do them? Gary

24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I started a buck for one years ago... but life got in the way. Brass headers too... 2003-07-07 10.08.42.jpg 2003-07-07 10.06.16.jpg 2003-07-07 10.07.52.jpg 2003-07-07 10.12.35.jpg

25. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I found it at an estate sale then I refined it by setting the wheel wells in as it should be. I also added the X's on the firewall. It was very thin in spots, cracks, and had a hole in it. There were dents in the roof and the sides were very wavy. I did the best I could to straighten it out but I'm no body man. I tried to cast the whole nose in one piece and that didn't work out so now I cast them in four separate pieces. As for how? A lot of time and swearing.

Deuces and kiwijeff like this.
  26. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  27. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Here's that body I was telling you about. This is the first one.

[​IMG]

28. Deuces

Deuces

Nice work Jim..... :)

BIG-JIM likes this.
  29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Further to this old post of mine (has it been that long!!) I recently completed another large scale (1/8) kitbash loco. It is based on a 1/20 scale 3-truck Shay loco. I cleared it to the decks, so to speak and then rebuilt the decking and superstructure to a whimsical, 1/8th (1-1/2" to the foot). I just took it to Denver for a big model train convention over the Labor Day weekend and got two awards in the model contest, one a 3rd in class and the other from a noted model train mfg, Bachmann trains, the maker of the basic loco I used. I did use some 1/8 details from some of my Lindberg and Monogram kits (like the Mexican blanket on the seat from the latest Deuce kit), but a lot of miniatures, military modeler and other found items, too. Hopefully theses pix will get to stick around awhile, not being purely auto related. I'll post one pix so you can see how big this thing is, and a few others taken yesterday at the world-famous Sundance Central 1/20 layout here in the Tampa Bay area which is a fab layout and provided a great background. Gary

DSC_4246aW2000.jpg DSC_4781aW2000.jpg DSC_4791aW2001.jpg DSC_4800aW2000.jpg

30. Deuces

Deuces

Very cool loco.....

gnichols likes this.