Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Factory Stock 1932 Ford Trunk Rack

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Aug 1, 2017.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

One of the first things to be removed in a '32 Hot Rod build, but what did the mounts look like? Factory photos or as found & restored photos would be nice to see. Bob

leswinter32 likes this.
  2. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Here is a pic from the current Bob Drake catalog

Attached Files:

3. alchemy

alchemy

The spreader bar for a rear trunk rack is the only original straight Ford bar. Not easy to find nowadays if you are looking for real 32 parts. Nobody wants the rear spreader with a tire mount these days.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It is a simple, straight spreader with 2 welded on tabs to take the lower swivel on the luggage rack. from memory I think Ford bulletins call for it to be installed on cars being converted to sidemount spares as a structural piece, as the F&R crossbars/rear tire mount were designed as structural crossmembers. Streetrod crossbars I have seen are just trim pieces and are too light for use on an original frame.

5. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

I believe the pick up truck had a straight rear spreader bar, at least that's what think mine came off of. I have a N.O.S. luggage rear spreader bar, if your interested. EXPENSIVE!
    Tom

6. Just recently I've seen several originals because I have been looking for an original luggage rack so I have been getting an education from my friends that have them. The end pieces are cast and the holes in them are threaded that bolt through the frame holes. The rack attachment pieces are also cast pieces. I didn't have any pics so I borrowed these off Ford Barn. Sorry they are small sized!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    deucemac and biggeorge like this.
  7. Also, you can tell a repro by the flat steel used instead of the cast pieces pictured above.

8. Interesting info.
    I'm in the market for one, or individual pieces.
    I have the rack, guess I'll have to FAB the spreader and other bits. It's not a resto-rod.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for all the info! If I ever find one, or fab one it will go on my '29 Steelback on '32 rails. Bob

10. Same thing for me, since I'm not a restorer, a reproduction would be just fine but I wanted to know the differences between them in case I ran across an original.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. flatoz

flatoz

This is an Aussie original that came off the Tourer (phaeton) and I put it on the Tudor.

20160424_152455_resized_3.jpg 20170115_182659_resized_1.jpg

The37Kid and stillrunners like this.
  12. deucemac

deucemac

If you want information on '32-'36 trunk racks, look no further than a member named Dennis Blietz. He goes by DWBlietz on the hamb. I stooge for Dennis back in the dark ages when he got the idea to produce those racks. He 7 is a tool and die maker and I ran any machine he set up for whatever operation we were doing. We hauled those racks all over the country during the early 70's. He made the racks and Elmer Gertz made all the bracketry. Gertz used to make all the roadster top irons many years ago. Dennis was very fussy about accuracy and lost his shirt over the deal. I came back to California in 1973 and he sold all the tooling to Paul Ezra in Winnamac, Indiana. At that time Ezra was making the '32 bumpers and brackets. I have no idea who owns the tooling today. But if you have any questions, contact Dennis on here for the answers. He is job shopping these days and it may take a while for him to reply .

13. bondolero

bondolero

DSC00102.JPG

Original ??? don't know but it was on the car in 1982, Early report ?

The37Kid likes this.
  14. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

The racks today are made offshore by Vintique.I had 3 original bars last year and they went fast.