Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mallory YC 336

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doug schriener, Jul 25, 2017.

1. doug schriener

doug schriener

Hi guys-Question for you older Mallory experts-I have a Mallory YC 336 dist.-behind the 336 is stamped ALC.I'm wondering if it was part of a MagSpark setup-It is a dual point,the points are mounted parallel to each other on either side of the cam.It has a 8 lobe cam not a 4 lobe like the DoubleLifes have.What I want to do is make it a regular dual point unit-can I use a breaker plate from a Double Life with the points angled toward each other or will what I have work?Thanks for any help ,you guys are the best. Doug Schriener

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe that distributor is for a "Y" block Ford. The "Y" means centrifugal advance only (no vacuum). The "C"means it has the proper breaker plate and points for use with a "Magspark". This is off the top of my head; I think I have have the complete documentation at my shop. Get back to me if you need more information tomorrow. The suffixes ("ALC") are not completely documented (at least not in the stuff I have). I do have a sheet that gives the part numbers for the breaker plate, breakers, and cam to convert it between "Magspark" and coil.

3. doug schriener

doug schriener

4. doug schriener

doug schriener

Hi-I want to make this a dual point setup with a coil for a 312. Any info appreciated!!!.

5. @GMC BUBBA is the go to guy on distributors. PM Jim and get your answers.

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It can be done, but I think you need to change the breaker plate, breakers, and perhaps the cam. As I indicated earlier, I have some literature from Mallory that I believe lists the part numbers required. I also have a couple of "parts" Mallory's, so I may also have the parts. I will check when I go to my shop this afternoon.

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doug - I think I found the information you need. Take a look at this document from Mallory :

Attached Files:

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About half way down on the first page, there is a reference to using the "Magspark" distributor with a "Voltmaster" coil; it refers you to "Page 3". I have a couple of distributors that have the mentioned connection between the points. It is just a strip of brass; I can provide a pattern so you can make your own.

Just curious; does this correspond with the information you received from "GMC Bubba"; I wouldn't want to send you down the wrong path,

9. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Just wire both sets of point together with a jumper lead and only use one connection, Set both point gaps to .018 and run it . Works great !!

10. doug schriener

doug schriener

What I needed to know,thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You guys are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!