Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sacramento CA Swap Meet Moves to Cal Expo April 29,2017

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cruzerdog, Mar 4, 2017.

1. We have moved the Sacramento Classic Car & Parts Swap Meet (aka Reno Swap Meet) to the Cal Expo grounds on April 29th, 2017 ....this was done to save the swap meet from entirely shutting done.. Arco Arena is shut down and will be torn down soon .. and the only place that is large enough to hold the swap meet is Cal Expo ... Admission will be $12 and public parking $10 , vendor and car corral spaces $35 each. Yes ,I have already gotten "I will not come if you charge that much" ....sorry we will miss you! Its a great swap meet that has its roots back to the Harrah Swap Meet in 1965. And it has given me many grey hairs since I took it over in 1999 from William Finefrock (RIP) ....it will be held outdoors as usual on LotA & Lot 26 roughly 6,000 vendor spaces more than enough for everyone ...

www.sacramentoswapmeet.com office line 916-955-8777

I know many people have negative things to say about Cal Expo .. let me say this they have bent over backwards for us and relaxed a few rigid rules and Cal Expo is very excited to get the swap meet there .. the parking fee is one item that I could not get them to wave..

the plan is to have 2 meets there a year and add an auction in the buildings ... so we hope we can count on everyone to come out and help support and save one of the oldest swap meets on the West Coast ..and one of the largest Screen Shot 2017-02-17 jpeg.png

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I won't be there this year but only because a family friend is getting married on the 29th. I've attended in years past both as a shopper and as a vendor and I consider it one of the best meets I go to and well worth the drive from SoCal. I'll try to make it if you schedule a meet later in the year but definitely next April if all goes well.

3. Thanks for the kind words .. once we get through this one -- we will be able to get advance dates locked in sooner .
    Hoping to lock in a date for sometime in Sept - Oct 2017 .. not going to do the August dates anymore - just too damn hot .. and we have no shade trees at Cal Expo on Lot A . just a huge wide open area that can handle the big rigs COE  ad 020 copy.jpg

4. Damn......if it wasn't for Pate - the oldest in the southwest and which I've had spaces since 1977 - I'd be there....and I'd bring an uncle or two......

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I drove up from San Diego this morning for this swap. Came last year and got a bunch of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

support Cruzerdog - tomorrow - be sure to take pics & post here

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Its time to go!

12. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

It was tuff paying $10 parking and $12 to get in but I had a good time seeing old friends.

13. 3 friends and I were there. What a great day. Great deals to be had everywhere. We will be back.

14. Anyone take some photos??????

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I had pre-paid for a spot as a seller - left home near Stockton, about 1 hour trip to Cal-Expo, at 4:30 AM - near Lodi my OT ('76) Chevy PU, loaded with my stuff, overheated and had to have it towed home (AAA) - later headed out again with my OT ('67) Fairlane Ranchero, and stopped in Elk Grove for some food to go - started right up, went into reverse (C6) and would not shift into drive locked up - can not get to shifter arms from top so, reached under truck to move arms - ended up in Park - no local shops open to help me - AAA flatbed called in & dropped it off at Precision Machines in Lodi - had to use "skates" to get it on flatbed, which would not work at my place with a gravel driveway - close to Noon got a ride home - so no sales, buys or pics for me - will try again next Sunday for Turlock

stillrunners likes this.
  16. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Went as a seller, really not a bad venue, wasn't that bad getting in and easy to get to. Please don't take this wrong, as traffic control on the freeway, etc. is part of my job, and lots of experience parking cars at shows- lots of sellers sitting in line waiting to get in, and at least a half dozen "official" guys at the funnel point- but only a couple actually checking folks in, in a single file line, while the other "officials" just kinda milled around. Plenty of room for double- file check in, and enough folks that could have been doing it, under control . I actually got in a lot faster than many, having to register- the gals in the booth were great, went very quick- and pre-registered folks still sitting in line, single file. Just a suggestion from a professional. Guys in lot doing a pretty good job, helpful pointing out empty spaces, and everyone friendly.
    Smalls seemed to be moving pretty well, but bigger ticket stuff kinda slow- lotsa kickers and touchers but moths staying in wallets, not even low-ball offers coming out. Had a nice complete 8-71 SBC setup and a std, never grenaded 427 Ford block, got lotsa fingerprints and ooh-aah but no serious offers. Sold enough smaller stuff to come out about $300 ahead, and saw and yakked with lotsa good folks, weather was great, so a pretty good car day. Actually ended up buying the cherry 8-71 setup that I was trying to sell for my buddy when I got home lol...

stillrunners likes this.
  17. thanks for your kind words.. it kicked my butt trying plan and make it all happen

it was HUGE EFFORT MOVING TO CAL EXPO many challenges but it seem to all work out

we are set to do it again in Sept ..not sure of the date just yet and smooth out many of the bumps..

we will be numbering the spots .. and have parts haulers to tote the stuff to the lots ...

this venue will continue to grow and add an old car auction too ...

18. good y'a;; had some nice weather.....pics ? sad to hear about yer issues JJ.....

19. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Totally agree with what MeanGene427 said. The entrance to the swap meet was like a Caltrans Project, two guys working and half a dozen guys milling around.
    $300 sold at Cal Expo
    $1400 sold at American River College swap meet the next day.

20. Hey Brandon thanks for your input-- you can call me and chat anytime with suggestions -- always appreciated 916-955-8777 or email [email protected]....glad I saw your post here so I can look into it .. can't fix things unless we know about them .. Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 7.33.14 PM.png
    ....we have changed quite a bit as we learn the "pot holes" at Cal Expo like we did for 9 years at Arco Arena
    and we are looking forward to the next one on Sat . Sept 9th at Cal Expo ...