Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I looked at the beauty rings O'Reilly's sells for $12.99 each, today. They are chrome and 2" wide. Speedways are polished stainless steel and $24.99 each. They are 2 9/16" wide.

The O'Reilly's brand looked good, nice chrome, but were tweaked a little and just plain felt flimsy. Maybe they straighten out when installed? I used the Speedway style before and I liked the look, plus they were very well done. Beyond that, the missing 9/16" on O'Reilly's just bugged me.

So, I'm going to wait and order the ones from Speedway next week.

32Rules and loudbang like this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sorry Fred, but O'Reilly's are cheap junk.
    Make sure they come from someone reputable like wheel vintiques.
    Stainless will be better and stronger.

loudbang likes this.
  3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Fred don't buy any until I check my hangers.

Rebel

IMG_1014.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okaaaaaay. Rebel, keep in mind these are after market wheels. Speedways are a universal fit, so maybe OEM's would work? I'd just hate for you to go through all the trouble and they not work.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Fred
    These I have are kinda dinged up. I would't run them on my roadster but I would run them on my '48 Ford.

If you want them and think they might fit I will send them to you.

Gary

IMG_1018.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. ^^^^ Fred, don't let the those flaws deter you; trim rings are pretty easy to ding out and buff; even if the holder (bare rim) gets a little heavy after a bit.
    IMG_20170601_152602 (Medium).jpg

8. I was kinda referring to something a little heavier, like 3/16" to 1/4" wall DOM like this, that can survive the side loads of pot holes and sewer lids.
    P7260002 (Medium).JPG

Yes; but it's time to let it go; got my coupe going now, need to get my '47 going, then I can start on another roadster. Nothing in the world like running down the road in an open wheel hot rod roadster.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the offer, Rebel, but I'll pass. The one's I'm getting are smooth with no ridge. I just like that look. These are what I'm going with.

beauty_ring1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Yeah Fred those are nice. They are better for your time frame. Mine would look good on a '50s rod.

Rebel

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay...... the safety washers came a day early! But I won't put them on until tonight. Hell, man..... it's 103* in the shop!:eek: I'm glad I Googled a pic to see how they install. I would have had them reversed! Now, I see how they function and they make perfect sense.

And now a question. Can I get away with just one on the bottom or should I put one on each side of the rod end? Seems like I'd be okay with just one on the head of the bolt side?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm thinking the bolt head would probably be enough as the purpose of them is to keep the rod in place in the event of the heim joint failing.
    The tie rod wouldn't fall off towards the spacer or steering arm.

loudbang and tfeverfred like this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Blue!

loudbang likes this.
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

And.... done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just because.

[​IMG]

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Another reality check? Coming soon?

rear_cover.jpg

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Pulled the old rear end cover last night. Used a razor blade to scrap off the old gasket. Tonight I'll hit it with brake cleaner and a wire brush for the final clean up.

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And I'll bet you were greeted with a most pleasant aroma ;) :D

loudbang, Hudson31 and whiplash1923T like this.
  20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hmm...... I liken it to the aroma of 50 farts, from 50 dying men. Yea, something like that.:D

loudbang, whiplash1923T and Blue One like this.
  21. You are so polite Fred, only 50 dying men farting ? I would of said a hell of a lot more then that and thrown at least 50 skunks in bad moods in too.
    I like the chrome rear cover as I have the same on the rear end of my Roadster too and it helps just breaking up the black a wee bit.
    008.jpg

22. Old photo, Marc........was getting excited it was going again. JW

loudbang likes this.
  23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You mean he can't hop in and go for a ride? o_O
    :D
    Get at it Marc. :)

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  24. Yes, Marc, hope thing allow you to ''get at it'' soon. :cool::) JW

whiplash1923T and loudbang like this.
  25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay, rear end cover and a couple treats this week. Found out O'Reilly's has the same cover Speedway sells for $18 AND it comes with the gasket and bolts. Go figure. Beauty rings will be here next week.

loudbang, AndersF and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  26. Koz

Koz

[​IMG]

I love the stance! All wheel and tire combo. Can't wait to see this one when it's finished. Looks pretty similar to the combo on my roadster, 6.40-15 on 5" wheels and 8.20-15 on 6" wheels on the rear.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think quite a few people don't consider or under estimate the tire & wheel effect on rake. Yes, it's easy to raise or lower with springs, spindles, etc., but the right tire wheel combo can sometimes yield better results. Works great on that coupe.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    chryslerfan55, AndersF and Koz like this.
  28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You guys are going to LOVE this! I just got off the phone with a co-worker. We talked about work for a bit and then he asked about my build. He's not a car guy, but I told him what I had done and future plans. I explained things like putting a big engine in a small car to go faster. Afterwards, there was a pause and then he made the coolest comment, I've ever heard about Hot Rods.. "So, what you're saying, is that Hot Rods defy the common laws of physics? Right?"

That made my freakin' day! Had to share it.

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Went by O'Reilly's and they have to order the rear end cover from the manufacturer. So, it $18 + $7 shipping. Will be here next week.:( BUT, I'm okay with that because it comes with the gasket and bolts. Everyone else's didn't, so I'll save some coin.:)

Still in a good mood because the breather for the rear end and stainless steel spindle stops will be here Thursday or Friday.:D

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    AndersF and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  30. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Update on my roadster. Think I mentioned a fan pulley broke and my engine overheated while up in Carson City. Well the radiator was leaking after that. I thought it was leaking out of the bottom left but after investigating I saw it was a seam in the top and just leaking down. It was pretty visible. I didn't want to have to take it all apart. It was pretty close to the grill paint so I didn't want to take a torch to it. I got out my biggest electric soldering iron and drained the water. Cleaned it well with wire brushes and acid and laid on the iron. Took quite a wile but I did get the three inches of seam hot enough for the solder to flow in little by little. Seems to be holding as I have driven it quite some distant since then.