Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to the 2017 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Oct 6, 2016.

1. squirrel

squirrel

If it's a street car, you'll probably be safer without the roll bar.

SLCK64 likes this.
  2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

You're welcome, Ben. Just glad to have been able to help. Besides, those axle shafts were just getting dusty......I pulled them out of a 59 Biscayne in 1989. LOL.

I'll definitely be back next year with my 55. The rough plan is to install a 57 Pontiac rear axel and freshen up the 301. I'm also figuring on having my 59 BelAir race ready, in case my 55 breaks again.

This is the 59 that the axle shafts came out of. With a small amount of work the car started up and ran quite well. This was after spending almost 25 years in a Northern ILL. junkyard. By the way, the right front fender is still on the car, in the photo......OUCH!!!!!
    img029.jpg

59 at Cordova.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  3. SLCK64

SLCK64

Well it'll be driven for sure! But I think it's going to be more on the strip side eventually. Decent harness for sure since its lap belts in front for now.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  4. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Nice meeting you, mine had body roll bad last year and would only pick up the lf. Rear sway bar took care of it and had a nice even launch, or get an antiroll bar.

loudbang likes this.
  5. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Thanks I wasn't real sure what the fix is. I was thinking solid suspension for the track

loudbang likes this.
  6. Where the hell is Scott and the No Show Shaker? Seriously, inquiring minds want to know what's the story?

loudbang likes this.
  7. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

That is a good question... no call, no show

loudbang likes this.
  8. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

After being stood up by Scott multiple times, I did accept a call out for the 2018 Meltdown Drags from the Zettle Brothers and their GTO... they are allegedly building a fast Pontiac motor (sounds like an oxymoron to me)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. He had to change the clutch in the 11th hour, and it would not release, so he had to finally throw in the towel. He said he was so pissed off, "he could pour hot bacon grease in a sad little orphan girls eyes"! He'll be back on the air waves.., after some therapy.

10. Bummer man! I know the feeling of falling short on getting a car ready for the meltdown all to well. Dad and I heave been slaving away nights and weekends for the last year and a half to get the '37 dodge ready for this Meltdown, only to fall a couple days short of having it ready. Yesterday was the first day we even went into the garage since then.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Skai High

Skai High

I was racing with only a 2 barrel carburetor. The vacuum secondaries on the tri power were only trying to work. Someone at the Meltdown gave me the idea to mount a nitrous full throttle switch to the carb linkage wired to a light inside the car so I would know what was going on. This worked like a charm. I had to unhook the spring from each of the secondaries to allow them to open with vacuum and now the car feels like a 13 second car rather than high 15s.

Attached Files:

12. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

I believe brother is quoted as saying " Chief Many Horses is going to put a arrow in the neck of that giraffe!"

13. pnevells

pnevells

Did you guys get the Falcon fixed?

loudbang likes this.
  14. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use a reputable fabricstor....with NHRA proven experience. Money up front saves pain cutting out the bad cage....been there.... $2k mistake.

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

SLCK64 and loudbang like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

you quoted a message that contained that sentence. If you don't want part of a quote to show up in your post, you need to delete it.

And also pay attention to the square brackets [ they need to be used in pairs, and if you accidentally delete one from a quote, your post will come out funky looking.

milwscruffy likes this.
  16. DubG

DubG
    from Nebraska

[​IMG]
    I wanna deliver some pizzas in the rocky mount oyster...

wyatt "the Gasman" Gammel

17. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I'm telling your dad

55belairx2, saltflats and loudbang like this.
  18. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Well, found that the o-ring around the trans pump was the culprit. Put a whole new TCI pump in that I had and now I have all gears but reverse. Not sure what is going on. At this point I'm ready to shit can the trans, I've had nothing but problems with this thing. In fact as frustrated as I am I'm just ready to shit can the whole thing. I got too much on my plate right now with raising two little girls and work being as hectic as it is. The hobby, as they call it, is not much fun anymore.

Gammz and loudbang like this.
  19. pnevells

pnevells

Sorry to hear that, just put it aside for awhile, refocus and come back to it, we would hit a wall during the Shaker build, throw a sheet over the car and go away for awhile, get recharged. It is tough with kids and family commitments, try to keep it fun. Your car is very cool, I got to show it to a lot of folks that came by the pit spot to take pics when you guys were not there. It definitely has a place at Meltdown. Hope to see you next year

20. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Have you considered eliminating the vacuum secondary pots and replacing them with a progressive, full mechanical linkage?

Gammz, Chucky and loudbang like this.
  21. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Hey guys-

After the Meltdown comes the Fall-Out!

On September 29th & 30th we will be holding the 2nd annual Fall-Out at Rock Falls Raceway in Eau Claire, WI.

Last year was so successful that we now have a closed track for a Friday & Saturday event. Heck, you can even stay around Sunday and race some more if you want.

If you are interested in racing, please send an e-mail to [email protected] to get pre-registered. The same Meltdown Drags criteria applies to this event.

Come out and join us for a low key event in the beautiful north woods of Wisconsin.

September 29th & 30th at Rock Falls Raceway in Eau Claire, WI.

22. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Love to go but a motor in one car and a trans in the other are in our future investments.

loudbang likes this.
  23. SLCK64

SLCK64

Will be there! Spectating of course! Hopefully leaving Sycamore at 8am, about a 5 hr drive for me.

loudbang likes this.
  24. ...will somebody be starting an "Uncle Sam's Pie Eating Contest" thread?
    ...I've been spreading the word and everyone seems interested in it...

25. stupesnova

stupesnova
    from wisconsin

We will be there!

loudbang and 30dodgeboy like this.
  26. SLCK64

SLCK64

Thats what Im waiting for! Got my 1966 NHRA rule book in the mail last week. Looks original? Its like brand new. Had a speed shop stamp on it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  27. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Yes we will in a few weeks.

The interest for this event is off the charts... I think it will be fun!

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jeff I know someone that can Shake down with you........

loudbang likes this.
  29. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

Zettle Bros,
    I got frustrated with mine and it sat for 10 years. I'm glad I didn't get rid of it. You don't need reverse.

pnevells and Zettle Bros. like this.