Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help ID this grill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AeroMonte, Jul 23, 2017.

1. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

111a.jpg.png I bought a car from pics today, won't have it home until next Saturday. Best I can figure the body is a 32 Pontiac 4 dr. The grill is not correct though and I'm having trouble identifying it. Anybody have a clue?

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

the body shot. Looks like the quarter windows slide to open half way.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  3. scotts52

scotts52

Very interesting. Would like to see more pictures.

4. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

Seller cleared some brush and sent a few more pics. The radiator mascot might be a big help.

Attached Files:

5. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

better pic of car

Attached Files:

6. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

the back end

Attached Files:

7. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

My first impression is Graham...but havent found a similar grill or mascot...but certainly looks like Graham DNA...

8. The Hood looks very Chevrolet, the body lines around the A pillar also look very Chevrolet. Grille, NO clue

9. squirrel

squirrel

The hood looks more Pontiac than Chevy, since it has that raised area around the gills. And the body lines look very Pontiac.

That grill....nice mystery! someone will figure it out

10. Looks like the wood is pretty much gone. Are there doors on the other side? LOTS of work ahead on this puppy.

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Looks to be a GM body going by side pressings and 1932 Pontiac hood sides with raised pressing for vents. Could be a modified OEM grill with additional aftermarket or custom molding and radiator mascot?
    Here's a 32 Pontiac for comparison, note the rolled splash apron. A bit hard to tell by photo but it looks as though it could be similar? The grill tapers with a chevron shaped trim at the base just above the splash apron. Also the fenders are notched where they fit around the grill shell.
    Beam axle with parallel springs is GM as is the wood frame, or what's left of it.

upload_2017-7-25_11-24-1.jpeg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Squablow

Squablow

This is bugging the shit out of me.

13. cavman

cavman

14. squirrel

squirrel

32 oakland. Chrome shell, not painted.

32oakland.jpg

15. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

Jim Davis has figured it out and sent me these links. It's a 32 General Cab made by General Motors Truck for commercial use. It's a taxi cab!

Think I have it...1932 General Cab, made by General Motors Truck & Bus. Here's a "1933" General Cab photo for sale on Amazon.com...although the front end and fenders differ, compare the body...pretty much a dead ringer. Especially note the unusual two piece windshield (the lower portion of which remains in the abandoned car pictured) and rear quarter window with ventilation window, e...tc. A Mr. Linsky posted the following at http://hankstruckforum.com/htforum/index.php?topic=37241.0: "The General Cab (sometimes called General Motors Cab) was the former Yellow Cab re-named in 1930. It had a 6 cylinder Buick engine which was replaced from 1931 to 1934 by a GMC-built 6-cylinder plant. The 1933/34 cabs had a Pontiac-like appearance. There was no production in 1935..." 111ab.jpg

mgtstumpy likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

beautiful! that explains everything.

17. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Man, oh man, that thing is spacious inside. What a car that would be for traveling the country in. Or, if I had some use for a limo, that would be a great place top start building. Wish it were mine. Anxious to see what you do with it. Subscribing.

18. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

I was just given info from an automobile historian that has production numbers for Yellow cabs in 1932 at 398 units. I'm trying to find more info to back this up now. How many could still exist...at least it shares body parts with Pontiac. I can't wait to go get it now, and it does still have spots of yellow paint present.

RollinRock and mgtstumpy like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

20. southerncad

southerncad

When I first saw it I thought otherwise, but now that we know exactly what it is.....get started on an authentic restoration:)

AeroMonte likes this.
  21. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

Not sure I'm capable of such a restoration. I'll get it home and clean it up a bit to see.

22. scotts52

scotts52

That's gotta be super rare. Please don't butcher it. Maybe sell it to a restorer and use the funds to buy something else.

23. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

24. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

Now to begin...is there anybody that has patterns or makes the wood for the body on a 32 Pontiac? Some of it is there but a lot of it is not. I need to clear this hurdle before anything serious can happen to it.

25. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

This is on the right cowl. It also has a serial number on the body and the engine so I can get a title for it now. 111z.jpg

kidcampbell71 and The37Kid like this.
  26. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

AeroMonte, I got a wood kit for my '31 Pontiac coupe from Jim Rodman at Autowood.net. He does mostly Chevy, but Pontiac shares most (if not all) of the wood in the body. He is in Hanna, Indiana. 20150428_194248.jpg

kidcampbell71, AeroMonte and The37Kid like this.
  27. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

I found him online and sent him a message already, thanks for your help

28. You need to find a copy of this book.... Picture 26124.jpg Picture 26125.jpg

Torkwrench and AeroMonte like this.