Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So, are all your cars traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 19, 2017.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

This was the stereo I wanted back in the late 70s to put in my galaxie but did not have the money so I just kept the FM converter,when I got the country squire I found one on ebay but my collection of 8 tracks were deteriorating and sounded bad and started looking for the cassette version but the prices on them started to go up so I never got one.

Moriarity likes this.
  2. RMONTY

RMONTY

A little slower and a helluva lot less stressfully would be my best guess!

3. anybody want to see my 13 x 3.5 inch

drum brakes?

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Hey hotroddon my Morris Minor is a 1958 and it is a 90 inch straight axle 4 speed car. It may not have been legal back in the day , but it is built to meet the SEGA rules so that's about as traditional as any group in the country running today.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, I never said, or implied that.

That's your mistake.

6. My car is traditional dependent on how many folks want to argue about how it is and is not.
    So, to define traditional as to always have drum brakes and bias ply tires? Or is it to have many parts made from scraps at work, parts modified from leftovers? Budget build from 1955? A few catalog parts thrown in? Was the steel body that was modified of pristine order when it was chopped or sectioned or channeled?
    How many restorers got really pissed when you took a rough piece of shit, saved it using parts from other pieces of shit, made a few modifications, and have a piece of shit steel body you know will cavitate somewhere in the near future? Turdytoo helped me find mine and learn many things more.
    I have a dropped Ford beam axle that had been slammed into a low stump, or yanked by a tow truck.
    I have the square flange spindles given to me by a long time friend and customer that is no longer with us. Benny Bowers, Little Rock.
    I have a '57 Ford sedan generation 9 inch Ford axle housing. Scotty Johns, Monticello, AR. RIP.
    I have a split A wishbone with homemade wishbone brackets. I turned and threaded the bungs for the Heims from scrap metal at work. I cut the wishbone at the Y. The bracket material came from shear scrap.
    I have steering box that I pulled from a Maverick, and made the bracket for it.
    I built the ladder bars from 1.250x.120 driveshaft tubing. The urethane bushings that fit them are from a Peterbilt Unibilt air ride cab link bar. The bungs for the forward Heim joints are made of modified inner Budd nuts.
    I boxed the Model A frame after having it sandblasted to see if it could be saved. The boxing metal came from shear scrap.
    I have many more I did that items.
    Is that not what traditional is? A guy with no money, scrap of metal, access to a lathe, press, metal removing tool? Can trade skills for other guy's skills?
    Add disc brakes, radial tires, wallet still thin.
    The stuff that is soooo damn traditional that many want to copy from the pages of 1958, were folks that could do stuff, or had access to neat shit, or had really big wallets.......
    I don't have the time, or wallet, to search for the elusive snipe of the past. I respect the folks that can. I want to find another piece of shit to make another one of mine. No rodent shit in my garage.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  7. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

It is built the way they would have back in the day if they had the parts we do now.

bchrismer likes this.
  8. mine is traditional in the sense that I have to shower every time I drive it somewhere due to the exhaust smell

clunker and Gman0046 like this.
  9. My Model A is!
    Gar.jpg

Max Gearhead likes this.
  10. Like I say, depends on the definition of Traditional! In the truest sense it is not. But I don't really care. I'm not one of those "Traditional Nazis" but that was the question.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Dan Fraser

Dan Fraser

Really it all just depends on what you consider "traditional". The "how" they did it and the "why" and the "what" (mostly talking about parts etc) may not match up. The way I personally see it, the hot rod thought started with an old beater (cuz that's all they could afford), then found ways to make it faster (bigger engine, strip it down to make it lighter, etc) and cooler (different wheels, tires, paint, etc). So should we put away the tig welder and go back to brazing just to keep tradition? Should we keep the old flat heads instead of an EFI 6.0L vortec? Myself? I'm not gonna put car in a time capsule just for tradition sake. Big motor, but still carbureted cuz that's what I like. Low in front, tall in back, cuz that's what I like. Nice looking gauges and interior cuz I'm building it for ME. Is an electric fan or digital gauges traditional? No. But they also weren't available back then. Only true answer would be to go back in time and ask the original hot rodders if they'd run new technology in their rides if it existed

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

jackalope likes this.
  12. Don't think so. Never owned a Phord. Closest I ever came to that was on the Mysterion which runs 2 390s, '40 beam front axle, & spindles, Cruise-O-Matic, & two banjo rears. Wouldn't call it traditional though.

P5220021.JPG P1010563.JPG IMG_7435s.jpg IMG_7451.JPG

13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I dunno, my '57 Ford is a pretty traditional car but I also have a completely stock '64 Thunderbird lowered on Astros that I'm enjoying the hell out of. I'm not sure how HAMB friendly it is but it's a cool, fun car.

[​IMG]

Everybody has their limits for what is considered too far of a deviation from "traditional", whether that be air ride, an OHV engine, radials, etc. I know what I like and I don't feel like I need to prove anything to anybody. Not giving a shit makes this hobby all the more enjoyable.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  14. Mine is not, according to the rules of the H.A.M.B.

I'm thankful though that I haven't been booted. I continue to learn a lot from these forums and it's helping me keep my '55 on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. I dig those T-Birds, as well as the 61-63 BulletBirds.

16. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Nice shop and A, your shop is way too clean though. ;)

1927graham likes this.
  17. If I were not of Neanderthal statue and I had the cash I could go for a '56 Porsche Speedster,but my big arse won't fit. HRP