Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1957 Chevy 4 door conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonpentz, Jul 11, 2017.

1. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

I need to get the measurements from a 2 door, door! If anyone has some please post them. I know there is a 6" difference and I've seen it posted that there is a 6 1/8 difference between the 2 and 4 doors.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  2. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

Today I am going to rip out my interior because actually it has some nice seats in it with great upholstery. I am going to use the same front seat because no one needs to be in the back seat anyhow haha besides my kids are small and can climb over

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  3. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

els likes this.
  4. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

5. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

[​IMG]. I'm removing all of the glass as well I want to save as much as I can so I can hopefully save some one else's 4 door car I have all perfect side glass in this car! I took my wing windows out I'll be saving them for latter

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  6. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Can't believe I've missed this thread . I have a 57 I'm doing right now .I used a two door door but used the four door jam . In order for this to work the rear section of the two door door must be removed and the four door section welded back in. I will try to remember to get an overall length of the door later when I get out to the garage.I have some pics if I can get them to load , otherwise ask and I can take soem of something in particular. Mine will have fixed rear windows ,too much work trying to get them to work. One DSCN0122.JPG View attachment 3605338 View attachment 3605338 View attachment 3605338 pic is with four door jamb welded in ,blue one is two door jamb. I stared at it for hours and if you don't have all the two door stuff this is the way.next is four door B pillar moved back and adj so door will close and latch. DSCN0123.JPG I just shortened up the rear door and welded it in ,not a big deal and easier than I have expected.

Attached Files:

els, belair and brEad like this.
  7. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Here ya go DSCN0400.JPG

Attached Files:

els, koolkemp and jonpentz like this.
  8. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

els and sjm1340 like this.
  9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's a big negative Gear Jammer. See why in this thread;
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/55-57-chevy-question.1070359/#post-12148943

On another note; $5300 for a 2 door conversion parts kit!? Then lots of labor. Seems you'd be better off adding the $5300 to your shopping budget and just look for a 2 door to start with.

craig b blue, els, Dan Hay and 4 others like this.
  10. I don't like the proportion of the rear side glass on a tri five. It seems too large to me. Ive got a pretty solid 56 4 door. I gave up trying to sell it. I don't need the money any way. I just don't like 4 doors. Any way I was thinking weld two halves of 4 door front doors together and make the doors a inch or two longer. Im not certain how much longer the doors should be? Anyway a longer door would make access to the rear seat a bit better. Then use the door skins from a station wagon rear doors to fill the gap. That would eleminate the V dip and make for a cleaner line. Possibly someone could photo shop what Im suggesting?

els and jonpentz like this.
  11. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I thought about doing the doors suicide style and even making them a couple inchs longer.. I actually like the dip in the rear 1/4 s ,the wagons look strange to me.

simpsonrl, els and jonpentz like this.
  12. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

els likes this.
  13. belair

belair

Yeah- the "sweetheart dip" is an important styling feature of the tri-fives. More pronounced on the hardtops than the sedans, but without it, you don't have the sweep of the rear quarter. Eliminating it would just ruin the car imo.

14. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

els, koolkemp and chevy57dude like this.
  15. Jonpentz - Great start!
    Hotrods ta Hell - Yeah, I agree, 5K is a lot. the guys doing it with skills, not checkbooks have the right idea.

16. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

[​IMG] I cut off 5" of the first door and 11 1/8 to add a total of 6 1/8 to the door [​IMG]

els, j-jock, low budget and 2 others like this.
  17. Looks good. I've always liked these modifications.

18. I suppose its a matter of preference. I started out with a 56 ford and have owned several 55 & 56 fords over the years. The ford sedan doesn't have that dip and the side glass is smaller. And they look great to me. I also don't care for the 56 front chevy end. My56 has a 55 front cap.

19. belair

belair

Lol- I was gonna say in my post that if you took out the dip all you would have left is a 55-56 Ford. Which are nice enough cars, but to my mind, not near the styling of a tri-five. Like the man said "That's why they sell chocolate AND vanilla."

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I always wandered about cutting the front of the rear doors off and swapping sides with em to add to the fronts, It could almost work in theory but could get even more complicated when trying to install the latches ect....

21. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

[​IMG] so I did it I cut out 5 inches of the first door and 11 1/8 of the other I spliced it and this is what I got! It took a bit of fab work and it latched to the post really well even just sitting in place. I had to modify the body line at the top of the door where your arm would rest because it tapers in two directions but other than that it wasn't nearly as much work as expected.

els, j-jock, low budget and 1 other person like this.
  22. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

In my picture above I have everything just tacked it worked out nice! Today a guy called me and he had some 2 door, doors from and old gasser that had the insides cut out but he still had the insides I payed way to much for them but I did get them none the less I will be attaching a photo and full measurements asap also I'll post all of the differences I can see [​IMG]

tomkelly88, els, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  23. Awesome keep the updates coming. Did you separate the "B" post in the at the spot welds?

24. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

Yes

els likes this.
  25. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

[​IMG]got the rear door skinned and set in place so it can be fitted in

els, low budget, slv63 and 2 others like this.
  26. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

The post for the upper frame is the same length as the forward frame on the rear door so I had to cut the post to spot it in to give it the look of the two door [​IMG]

els and low budget like this.
  27. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

28. Sporty45

Sporty45

Love these threads. I'm in! :cool:

29. You guys are genius..........
    I had that same car in high school. Always wished I had waited around to find a 2 door!
    But at 16 years of age I was IMPATIENT!
    Keep it up.....................

30. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

[​IMG]took the door back off for final fit and it's starting to look like a 2 door I am just now starting on the door gap and I know that's going to be a challenge but it always is I'll keep posting as I go [​IMG]

els, luckythirteenagogo and brEad like this.